General Gaming News.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I have no stake in this, and I've heard from the Yahtzee and Jack podcast that they're making bullshit categories called "Biggest Budget Indie Game" and "Indie Game With Well Known Celebrities". So fuck the VGA and those in charge even harder. Honestly, even the announcement of new or future updates on games are not worth waiting and watching for at this point.
Sounds like those might’ve been joke categories knowing Yahtzee?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sounds like those might’ve been joke categories knowing Yahtzee?
I don't think those were jokes unfortunately. I'll have to go back and look at the video, because I do have it on pause, but I'm not on my laptop right now. I have paused in the part where Jack was reading off the nominations list, and apparently those categories are true. If those were jokes, I might have missed it.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I don't think those were jokes unfortunately. I'll have to go back and look at the video, because I do have it on pause, but I'm not on my laptop right now. I have Paul's in the part where Jack was reading off the nominations list, and apparently those categories are true. If those were jokes, I might have missed it.

If true then yeah, they really need to be called out on that bs.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
In positive gaming news, the new Dragonball game looks like a hoot

The last "new" Dragonball game we got was Kakarot which attempted to be an action RPG of sorts and it was a resounding "meh". But so are most DBZ games outside of Fighterz so 🤷

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If true then yeah, they really need to be called out on that bs.
I doubled check, they were just messing around. Keep moving.

The last "new" Dragonball game we got was Kakarot which attempted to be an action RPG of sorts and it was a resounding "meh". But so are most DBZ games outside of Fighterz so 🤷
Because Bamco barely even tries anymore, and constant appeal to DB/casual anime fans that don't game that often or not all. Like I said before, I am begging for other developers to make other game adaptions of anime that are not shounen nor arena fighters. There is a huge reason why Jump Force is being removed from all digital stores. It's a piece of shit with a "realistic" aesthetic that does not benefit for the more cartoony or non-realistic character designs. For all the faults Kill La Kill IF had, at least it set itself apart with its unique fighting mechanics, and gave the smaller roster a deep move set. For extra bonus, they got all of the voice actors to come back and reprise their rolls.

I want a Gunsmith Cats game, a Battle Angel game, a Cutey Honey game, a Ninja Scroll game, or a Vampire Hunter D game. Hell, I settle for a GTA/Saints Row style Black Lagoon game at this point. At least BL would stand out from the crowd by a huge margin.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

This is a novel littler thought, but you also need to push forward the medium too. Preservation is nice and it's probably a pretty cheap way to resale old games to new audiences for minimal work. But preserving the past means nothing if you aren't also building towards the better future.

This just highlights Xbox's problem IMO. Too focused on their "glory days" and not enough looking forward.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

This is a novel littler thought, but you also need to push forward the medium too. Preservation is nice and it's probably a pretty cheap way to resale old games to new audiences for minimal work. But preserving the past means nothing if you aren't also building towards the better future.

This just highlights Xbox's problem IMO. Too focused on their "glory days" and not enough looking forward.
At least they're putting more thought in to preservation than SONY, Nintendo, and many other publisher and developers. Microsoft has the talent for new games, but buying them up means nothing if you have them sit and not do anything, or give them shovelware crap to work on.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Imagine how much of a selling point it would be if <new console> said "and for $60, we're adding official emulator support from <reputable emulator coder> so you can run previous versions of our games. Use a USB to load your own roms or subscribe to our extensive, near exhaustive database of official roms, including verified rom hacks"

Like, actual support for kaizo or randomized games, let's the fans do the actual work, you aren't releasing part 5 of a game that's last entry is a decade old on a completely different form factor of a system.

Like, a decade from now Bloodborne is going to be flat out inaccessible. Metal Gear Solid 4 is that way basically already. PS4s are already falling apart, I've got to give mine a thump in order for it to seat and read a disc properly.

But I'd pay $100 for a widget that slots into a Switch's cartridge slot or USB-C that lets me play DS and 3DS games.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Reactions: Chimpzy

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
At least they're putting more thought in to preservation than SONY, Nintendo, and many other publisher and developers. Microsoft has the talent for new games, but buying them up means nothing if you have them sit and not do anything, or give them shovelware crap to work on.
TBH I think a lot of the preservation is less on the console manufacturers and more on the individual publishers. It's more likely to fall on EA, Activision, Square, etc etc's hands than anything the console makers can do outside of allowing backwards compatability.

Frankly the best way for preservation to be widespread and maintained in any real way is for Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft to allow for free user emulation of their old platforms. There are plenty of emulators that will let you emulate games from every console generation up till this latest one. I think if they simply said, "Hey once a console is off the market for (let's say) five years, then emulation of that old platform becomes open source and people are free to emulate games from 2010 and older without restrictions."

But the problem is, especially lately, these companies also see the value in remastering old shit. It's a great and cheap way to get blind fanbase dollars (I say as i buy Pokemon Pearl). So long as there is money to be made, hell Nintendo will gladly sell you Mario Bros 1 on the Switch for $10, then game preservation is a tricky issue.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Everyone wants a Smash Bros game now. Nickelodeon and now WB. Jesus please stop.
I feel like smash is basically an excuse to smash your favorite characters together digitally. I'm sure that's the point but apparently it's just gonna go until every character anywhere can be smashed against any other character

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
TBH I think a lot of the preservation is less on the console manufacturers and more on the individual publishers. It's more likely to fall on EA, Activision, Square, etc etc's hands than anything the console makers can do outside of allowing backwards compatability.
Even so, it's still a problem with console manufacturers. Sony was more than ready to ditch their entire PlayStation Network store for the PS3, and there are plenty of games. They sure as hell don't care about the gaming arts, not the one in charge right now anyway. When all that panic happened, the reaction at first was a whatever who cares type deal. It was only after they got so much backlash, that they relented in at the store stay up there longer. While Nintendo is better about it by comparison, it's not that much. I'll give credit to companies like Capcom backing up their stuff. They're one of the few publishers that actually care about their legacy.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Everyone wants a Smash Bros game now. Nickelodeon and now WB. Jesus please stop.
We can always use more. I don't know why you're this surprised or upset. There's almost always been a Smash clone or two that comes out whenever a new Smash Brothers comes out (the exception being the N64 & Wii U). We're just seeing it on a slightly larger scale than normal. I personally don't mind, as long as it's good. Besides, if you want to be technical, the first Smash Brothers copied an Evangelion fighting game that only came out in Japan. Also only on the N64. So I technicality, they're all Eva clones....

My God, Eva is still everywhere!

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker