General Gaming News.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's just weird how completely unlike game Aloy it is, I wonder if the "an amazing main character" bits is supposed to be sarcasm?
Horizon really should've been Mad Max. Not in terms of tone, but in its theatrics. You got people running around with bits of machine on them, cables run through their skin, hunting robot dinosaurs with bows and arrows... and yet they're acting like they're at the supermarket or at a birthday party.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Also look, Ashley Burch can voice act when she's allowed to voice act. I almost didn't recognize Aloy's voice with it not sounding mouth-breathery and self serious.
The voice director for that game should be ashamed of themselves for letting that performance get to the final game.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The voice director for that game should be ashamed of themselves for letting that performance get to the final game.
I wouldn't know. There's likely a lot going on in a production that a voice coach/director has very little power over. I don't know how much experience Guerilla has with voice work, or how high on their agenda authentic performances are. With Naughty Dog and Santa Monica you can tell they're doing multple takes to get the performance they want, and as studios they probably have a lot of time scheduled to give that room. Maybe Guerilla never got or hasn't yet gotten into that mindset to really plan out voice performance in their timetable when making a game. And or maybe this game is just so stupidly huge that a lot of personality gets lost in the bloat of (outsourced) production.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I wouldn't know. There's likely a lot going on in a production that a voice coach/director has very little power over. I don't know how much experience Guerilla has with voice work, or how high on their agenda authentic performances are. With Naughty Dog and Santa Monica you can tell they're doing multple takes to get the performance they want, and as studios they probably have a lot of time scheduled to give that room. Maybe Guerilla never got or hasn't yet gotten into that mindset to really plan out voice performance in their timetable when making a game. And or maybe this game is just so stupidly huge that a lot of personality gets lost in the bloat of (outsourced) production.
But her voice in the 1st game was much better. The only thing I can think of is that the voices weren't able to be directed properly due to maybe remote covid voice overs or whatever.

Reactions: BrawlMan
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Horizon really should've been Mad Max. Not in terms of tone, but in its theatrics. You got people running around with bits of machine on them, cables run through their skin, hunting robot dinosaurs with bows and arrows... and yet they're acting like they're at the supermarket or at a birthday party.
To be fair Guerrilla dropped the ball in this regard with Killzone too. Although I think tone could absolutely be included in either case.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So they make the game size ridiculously big, then uses some online technology to handle the game size?

$70+ game on $500+ "premium" consoles, yet it's "impossible" to play single player offline. WTF are you doing there Treyarch/Acti/MS? I can literally pop in Streets of Rage 4, Ninja Saviors, or Final Vendetta without always being online. Fuck AAA gaming! Fuck MS! Fuck CoD! Hope it's worth it casual players and hardcore players.

Last edited:
Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
WOW War within isn't the only thing A/B is trying to overprice:
D4 price.PNG

As a reminder, the base game is now priced at $40.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Actual gameplay for Dragon Age: The Veilguard

So it looks like they are ditching the pseudo-MMO gameplay of the Inquistion, and more of action combat. Which is good. But will we be able to control, or at the very least command our companions to do their respective movesets? The graphics looks really good too.

But knowing EA, I'm sure this will release with plenty of problems.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
There's also this bit:

Before anyone jumps on the typical "anti-woke" hate train, allowed me to remind you that BG3 offered the same thing, and it got to win the GOTY. Of course it wasn't the only unique thing about BG3, but neither is it here.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
There's also this bit:

Before anyone jumps on the typical "anti-woke" hate train, allowed me to remind you that BG3 offered the same thing, and it got to win the GOTY. Of course it wasn't the only unique thing about BG3, but neither is it here.
Dude, when Bioware games were still relevant the common complaint whenever a new game came out was a character not being romanceable because of the player's chosen gender. Choosing Femshep because obviously, but then you couldn't get with this or that character. Baldur's Gate 3 just nipped that in the bud and had everyone be up for anyone.

Also, aw look, Bioware is still trying, how cute. 😂

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Dude, when Bioware games were still relevant the common complaint whenever a new game came out was a character not being romanceable because of the player's chosen gender. Choosing Femshep because obviously, but then you couldn't get with this or that character. Baldur's Gate 3 just nipped that in the bud and had everyone be up for anyone.

Also, aw look, Bioware is still trying, how cute. 😂
IDK, this just might be their saving grace, or be that one last big bang before being axed.

I also sometimes wonder what is the metric on EA for closing down studios, because Visceral got shut down after Dead Space 3 and BF Hardline, but DICE still keeps going after BF 5 and BF 2042, as well as Bioware after Anthem and ME: Andromeda

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Visceral got shut down after Dead Space 3 and BF Hardline,
EA expected Dead Space to be. A multi mega franchise like Resident Evil or CoD. They had overly high expectations on the franchise after the first game. When you get down to it, it's almost always EA's fault, or they have overly high and impossible expectations. History repeats itself as we're not gonna get Dead Space 2 Remake at all.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Actual gameplay for Dragon Age: The Veilguard

So it looks like they are ditching the pseudo-MMO gameplay of the Inquistion, and more of action combat. Which is good. But will we be able to control, or at the very least command our companions to do their respective movesets? The graphics looks really good too.

But knowing EA, I'm sure this will release with plenty of problems.
I just hope we can customize our party member AI like in 1/2, rather than letting them do whatever they wanted like inquisition.