General Gaming News.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Damn, Activision ran the numbers on skill based matchmaking by slowly turning it off without telling anybody and measuring the results
Of course, the "pros" were thrilled to be able to "pwn scrubs", until they all started quitting. Then they likely started complaining themselves. "Why aren't the devs working harder to keep newbs in the game for me to stomp on?! I don't want to play against people of equal skill!"

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Damn, Activision ran the numbers on skill based matchmaking by slowly turning it off without telling anybody and measuring the results
Surely instead of spending money on this, they could have just watched X-Defiant slowly go back on their word about SBMM 😛

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
New footage of Lost Soul Aside. Still no release date. New footage of Dynasty Warriors Origin.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Xbox 360 online store closes today. Thus ends an era

Of course, the "pros" were thrilled to be able to "pwn scrubs", until they all started quitting. Then they likely started complaining themselves. "Why aren't the devs working harder to keep newbs in the game for me to stomp on?! I don't want to play against people of equal skill!"
More likely those "pros" started quitting themselves the moment got stomped by the real pros.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

If you check out the store pages, they are asking for $30. Which is fine, because It's already better than asking $70 for an constant online game.

The question is will it be a live service?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Ooh boy, hopefully it's not the start of another lay-off trend
Seriously Sony and those at the very top at Bungie, what was fucking point of these buy outs, if you're lay off the people working hard and doing their actual jobs? Destinty can't last forever. I know in the message they said there will be other projects, but do they really need to lay off people to do that? I don't like Destinty, but I don't want see people at Bungie get hurt and laid off again for the flimsiest and dumbest of reasons. A reminder...

Reactions: FakeSympathy

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Seriously Sony and those at the very top at Bungie, what was fucking point of these buy outs, if you're lay off the people working hard and doing their actual jobs? Destinty can't last forever. I know in the message they said there will be other projects, but do they really need to lay off people to do that? I don't like Destinty, but I don't want see people at Bungie get hurt and laid off again for the flimsiest and dumbest of reasons. A reminder...

That's a good point. Maybe Bungie needs to stop riding the Destiny train and ultilize their staff to make something else, something new. No live service game lasts forever and when the audience starts to fall off you have to be ready to pivot and release something else, otherwise your studio dies with your game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@CriticalGaming

Lollipop Chainsaw pre-orders from LR.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Iggymob has another update for GG GORE where they're adding the gameplay system from the Switch version. This announcement happened in May of this year. There is no release of when this update his happening, but I do wish it is toggable and optional.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Ooh boy, hopefully it's not the start of another lay-off trend
Honestly, if you are working in game development, you generally assume that any position is for a single project only and that you have to look for something new when the release date comes closer. You would not expect to stay longer.

It has been like this for decades.

Of course that also means that most developers in general have enough after a couple of games at different companies, especially when they notice how non game related software development generally gets better pay and less crunch and they switch.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Braid: Anniversary Edition has reportedly sold "like dog shit" according to its creator Jonathan Blow.

Jonathan Blow is currently working on a programming language specifically for making video games, called Jai, and he further stated that work on making a compiler for that language has halted since: "[...] we can't afford to pay anyone because the sales are bad.".

In general terms this falls in line with the fact that video game sales are down and some titles are gonna sell less. In more specific terms, the remaster of Dead Space apparently didn't sell that well according to publisher EA, so it makes sense that a remaster of a genuine quality title might not be sufficient to move sales nowadays. Specifically for Braid: Anniversary Edition I didn't encounter much advertising for it and it is a puzzle game so just the visuals might not be enough to entice returning players. Regarding Jai I remembered hearing about it years ago on a former contributor to this website's podcast where they scoffed at the idea and were kinda amazed that he decided to do it. The way the industry is moving I wonder if that actually is a worthwhile endeavor. The Unreal engine used to have the proprietary coding language UnrealScript which they abandoned in favor of C++ and if anything development seems to entail less coding nowadays.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Braid: Anniversary Edition has reportedly sold "like dog shit" according to its creator Jonathan Blow.

Jonathan Blow is currently working on a programming language specifically for making video games, called Jai, and he further stated that work on making a compiler for that language has halted since: "[...] we can't afford to pay anyone because the sales are bad.".

In general terms this falls in line with the fact that video game sales are down and some titles are gonna sell less. In more specific terms, the remaster of Dead Space apparently didn't sell that well according to publisher EA, so it makes sense that a remaster of a genuine quality title might not be sufficient to move sales nowadays. Specifically for Braid: Anniversary Edition I didn't encounter much advertising for it and it is a puzzle game so just the visuals might not be enough to entice returning players. Regarding Jai I remembered hearing about it years ago on a former contributor to this website's podcast where they scoffed at the idea and were kinda amazed that he decided to do it. The way the industry is moving I wonder if that actually is a worthwhile endeavor. The Unreal engine used to have the proprietary coding language UnrealScript which they abandoned in favor of C++ and if anything development seems to entail less coding nowadays.
Braid made wave back then because the indie scene was pretty small and so any title moderately competent would do well, iirc it was also one of the game on the xbox marketplace back when there just wasn't many on it.

Now, there's dozen on dozen game like it.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Braid made wave back then because the indie scene was pretty small and so any title moderately competent would do well, iirc it was also one of the game on the xbox marketplace back when there just wasn't many on it.

Now, there's dozen on dozen game like it.
Yeah, I do wonder if Blow is under the impression that his game originally did well because of quality instead of uniqueness.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, I do wonder if Blow is under the impression that his game originally did well because of quality instead of uniqueness.
Also, people aren't buying the game because it's over priced, cost more than the original, and for trying to cozy up to the alt-right and Trump. Blow blasted all of his political views on Twitter.