General Gaming News.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
As one of the twelve people who bought the Anniversary Edition I'd also point out that the new content for the game is kind of underwhelming.

I'd never played the game myself so for me it was just something extra to do, but I imagine for fans of the OG the new levels would be kinda disappointing.

The "new world" is basically a glorified hub for the commentary tracks. It's 40 rooms, less than half of which serve as levels containing puzzle pieces. The levels themselves are fine but they aren't themed or designed in a bespoke way like the other worlds. It's just a bunch of neat self-contained ideas.

Blow's main interest is clearly the commentary track but I can't imagine anybody that excited for 20 hours of rambling.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Romhacking.net is essentially shutting down. Thus another legend of the old internet dies.
View attachment 11603
It's a super bummer for me because I actually use it semi-regularly to play translations. Most recently

Suikoden game for PSP that never got released in English

and Persona 2: Innocent SIN, which did get a PSP english release, but it was a subpar port with problematic combat mechanics changed from the original

But also

Dragon Force II: Kamisarishi Daichi ni, Sega Saturn RPG sequel that never got an english release

Its becoming less and less true and Japanese games become more popular, but theres still a trove of games that still haven't been translated.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Romhacking.net is essentially shutting down. Thus another legend of the old internet dies.
View attachment 11603
It's a super bummer for me because I actually use it semi-regularly to play translations. Most recently

Suikoden game for PSP that never got released in English

and Persona 2: Innocent SIN, which did get a PSP english release, but it was a subpar port with problematic combat mechanics changed from the original

But also

Dragon Force II: Kamisarishi Daichi ni, Sega Saturn RPG sequel that never got an english release

Its becoming less and less true and Japanese games become more popular, but theres still a trove of games that still haven't been translated.
CD💿 Romance still exist and they are active. They come up with new ROM hacks and translations every day.

Still, RIP Romhacking.net.

Reactions: Chimpzy

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Second Wind loses its Head of Sales and Frost, one of their main content creators.
Frost's Twitter message about it:

GT6YRm7WIAAtsxq.png

This is 6 months after Nick left The Escapist, leading other employees away to form Second Wind, a worker cooperative.
The "Nick Calandra tanks our YouTube revenue" part is probably a reference to a recent stream where Nick violated a review embargo for the lols.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Second Wind loses its Head of Sales and Frost, one of their main content creators.

View attachment 11606

This is 6 months after Nick left The Escapist, leading other employees away to form Second Wind, a worker cooperative.
The "Nick Calandra tanks our YouTube revenue" part is probably a reference to a recent stream where Nick violated a review embargo for the lols.
Well, that's a shame. Sounds a little like if Second Wind were a rock band, Nick would be the showboating lead guitarist who thinks it's all about him. Some are cut out for spotlight, some aren't. Combine with a leadership role and no real oversight, and you could end up with a deadly combo.

I also suspect a couple folks with a hate boner for Nick are going to be insufferably smug about this.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

View attachment 11606

Christ, these CEOs never learn their lessons. I won't be shocked if Second Wind goes away soon, and everybody just goes their separate ways.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden

[SNIP]

Whoa, are things that bad? I hadn't the faintest idea.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines

View attachment 11606

Well... that's disappointing. After Yahtzee, he was pretty much the only other person I watched. I did wonder what was up when they started kind of begging for support after videos, and even started making SEO oriented thumbnails.

EDIT: There's some pretty healthy discussion about this on the Second Wind reddit. I've never been the biggest fan of Nick Calandra, but supposedly earning 2x everyone else in the group except Yahtzee? That's a little wild.

Last edited:

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
[Snip]

I was tempted to make a thread about it in Off-Topic about the event. Nick had responded in the Second Wind Discord as well.

Apparently a lot of the drama comes from Nick's use and behaviour of Twitter, getting into slap fights and scraps with users and people in the industry alike rather than hitting ignore and pretending the hate doesn't exist. Looking back before his month long detox I can definitely see it, and it for sure wasn't a good look. I can see why they might've lost some people's favour and sponsorships over it.
Though, the way Frost's posts speaks, it sounds like there's more to it than just that. It's a shame either way, you hate to see it after such a hopeful start

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Apparently a lot of the drama comes from Nick's use and behaviour of Twitter, getting into slap fights and scraps with users and people in the industry alike rather than hitting ignore and pretending the hate doesn't exist. Looking back before his month long detox I can definitely see it, and it for sure wasn't a good look. I can see why they might've lost some people's favour and sponsorships over it.
Though, the way Frost's posts speaks, it sounds like there's more to it than just that
I heard about the Twitter stuff as well. Sounded like it went a bit further than slap fights, guy went all in the drama and got "pwned" by some grifter he was chasing after.

Looking back though, when Nick kept saying he was glad he "discovered" Frost, I thought it was rather wholesome, but that could definitely come off as incredibly egotistical and condescending from Frost's perspective.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Apparently a lot of the drama comes from Nick's use and behaviour of Twitter, getting into slap fights and scraps with users and people in the industry alike rather than hitting ignore and pretending the hate doesn't exist. Looking back before his month long detox I can definitely see it, and it for sure wasn't a good look.
I didn't know about this. Some things I get but I didn't know he was engaging that often. Nick should know better than that.

Though, the way Frost's posts speaks, it sounds like there's more to it than just that. It's a shame either way, you hate to see it after such a hopeful start
Sounds like a petty spat at this point, though I don't blame SW for always trying to be respectful and transparent with their audience as a whole. Sounds like frost wanted to take an eruption where it would just end up turning into Escapist 2.0 and repeat the same mistakes all over again.

he "discovered" Frost, I thought it was rather wholesome, but that could definitely come off as incredibly egotistical and condescending from Frost's perspective.
He should have gone with met.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I didn't know about this. Some things I get but I didn't know he was engaging that often. Nick should know better than that.
I didn't know about it up until now either, but looking back on even just a week's worth of his Twitter comments from July 1st onward I had determined I'd seen more than enough and didn't feel like scrolling further back. It was already a mountain of stuff by that point

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Game Informer is dead

Seems like management didn't inform staff before posting the above tweet either
Not really a surprise, its part of my website routine and in the last 2-3 month they were barely updating the site (the front page was still dominated with the dragon age stuff they did months ago). Still a bit sad to see one more VG news website shut down, there's not a lot left and I'd rather not watch youtube video to catch up on stuff.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

View attachment 11606

Well he wasn’t very helpful in all the times I tried to get my old account back (lucky I even got a couple replies), so it wouldn’t be surprising if her above account has some merit.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
"My drinking detox is complete," says man while pouring himself a drink.
My support of Nick starts and ends with Yahtzee's inexplicable commitment to him.
The more I think about it, the more I think Yahtzee's twitter usage is the most healthy. Only announcing when he has new videos or video games released, never interacting with fellow twitter users*, and when commenting on news only doing so when it is not political. (I think he said something like "I beg your pardon?" when Chris Pratt was announced as the voice of Mario).

*as far as I know.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod