Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
A world where consoles are more expensive to buy the longer you wait after launch is a world I don't want to live in.
That is definitely odd, I got my ps4 for 200 bucks by waiting for a couple of years (it was during the 2017 black friday I believe) and it was the newer smaller model with a larger hard disc too. But I guess ps5 did have major shortages for a long while for the first couple of years so I guess they figured they could get away with it. And apparently now in China they're again running out of them due to Wukong selling like hotcakes, so I guess this is a response to what they expect to be a very high increase in demand.

Also, this is the first year where (most) of the good games coming out aren't also multiplatform with ps4 too, they're just on ps5, stuff like FFXVI or Rebirth or Stellar Blade and Wukong so they prolly figured that will also increase demand some for the folks who held on to their ps4s for all this time.

The turn based Jrpgs are an exception to this, even Metaphor will still be on ps4 too. Which honestly is not surprising at all to me, considering persona 5 was a ps3 game while looking as amazing as it did.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
That is definitely odd, I got my ps4 for 200 bucks by waiting for a couple of years (it was during the 2017 black friday I believe) and it was the newer smaller model with a larger hard disc too. But I guess ps5 did have major shortages for a long while for the first couple of years so I guess they figured they could get away with it. And apparently now in China they're again running out of them due to Wukong selling like hotcakes, so I guess this is a response to what they expect to be a very high increase in demand.

Also, this is the first year where (most) of the good games coming out aren't also multiplatform with ps4 too, they're just on ps5, stuff like FFXVI or Rebirth or Stellar Blade and Wukong so they prolly figured that will also increase demand some for the folks who held on to their ps4s for all this time.
I won't deny that for what you get, the PS5 at launch and probably even now with the prices hikes is incredibly good value. They might even have actual, decent reasons for these price hikes. But this situation is still crazy and makes the thought of modern gaming exhausting to me. It's not like gaming is a basic human necessity, but it's starting to feel like a luxury I soon won't be able to afford.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I won't deny that for what you get, the PS5 at launch and probably even now with the prices hikes is incredibly good value. They might even have actual, decent reasons for these price hikes. But this situation is still crazy and makes the thought of modern gaming exhausting to me. It's not like gaming is a basic human necessity, but it's starting to feel like a luxury I soon won't be able to afford.
I say as long as it's considerably cheaper than a gaming pc it's definitely worth it. But we're getting closer to that line lol. Hey, at least they didn't repeat the mistakes of the ps3's early days where it was even more expensive lol.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I say as long as it's considerably cheaper than a gaming pc it's definitely worth it. But we're getting closer to that line lol. Hey, at least they didn't repeat the mistakes of the ps3's early days where it was even more expensive lol.
Gaming PC and Laptops are cheaper than the PS5 right now in most regions. More so Japan, but I've seen gaming laptops go for $200-$300. I got my gaming laptop for $300 on sale and brand new at a Microcenter. My Lenovo can play some heavy hardware games that are the equivalent of a PS5 or Series X. Making the Series X even more pointless. The PS5 I have mainly for Japanese games and some of the exclusives.

I can't blame ya. I know you have a gaming PC, but getting Steam games is a pain for you in the Philippines, if I remember correctly.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
So Concord failed as everyone expected it would. Its very existence just shows how what a tight grip the executives have on the industry and why this is such a bad thing. Concord likely exist because executives at Sony wanted to get in on the live service train years after the fact and didn't know the industry enough to see just about everything in that genre flopping these days.

If the Avengers, arguably the biggest IP on the planet couldn't support a live service then some discount Overwatch looking thing sure as hell won't.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Speaking of PS5, apparently JUST FOR THAT CONSOLE Star Wars Outlaws is forcing anyone who paid for early-access to start over with their day one patch:

IDK, kinda feel like anyone who paid $110 played themselves, but doesn't this mean something was seriously wrong with the launch build?

Huh, it's like that time when Bethesda tried to quell the rage with FO76 Collector's edition duffle bag fiasco with $5 in-store credit

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's Valve's new hero shooter. I've heard it's not nearly as bad as Concord, though to fail to clear that bar you'd need a backhoe.
Huh, I wonder how you got picked? This was one of the few games that piqued my interest. This is how the game looks like, btw. Which looks to be combination of hero-shooter and moba

When Team Fortress 3?

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Huh, I wonder how you got picked? This was one of the few games that piqued my interest. This is how the game looks like, btw. Which looks to be combination of hero-shooter and moba

I think I'm friends with a valve & game developers. I get these invites from time to time. Ironically I saw it all over reddit all the sudden today and logged on to steam just to see what it was and somebody had sent me an invite. I was honestly concerned it was some kind of hype scam game.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Whats this Deadlock shit about?

View attachment 11780
Apparently everybody is getting those atm, just got one of them.They might as well make it open beta.

So vision of mana, which literally just launched yesterday, will soon see its studio closed... Soooooo I guess post game launch support will be pretty poor, gotta hope there's no big bug.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

So vision of mana, which literally just launched yesterday, will soon see its studio closed... Soooooo I guess post game launch support will be pretty poor, gotta hope there's no big bug.
Waiting to hear the "the game did not meet expectations" spiel.