General Gaming News.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
PS5 Sclapers are at it again. They going after PS5 Disc consoles. Fucking assholes never learn. Fuck Sony and their Pro price bullshit!

If there is any solace to this, it's that just like with scalpers in the past they are most likely gonna end up losing money in the end

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If there is any solace to this, it's that just like with scalpers in the past they are most likely gonna end up losing money in the end
Sony is already losing money in Japan, after the pro reveal

Reactions: FakeSympathy
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
PS5 Sclapers are at it again. They going after PS5 Disc consoles. Fucking assholes never learn. Fuck Sony and their Pro price bullshit!

Can’t this be solved by retailers just limiting purchases to one unit per account? Or are fucking bots creating fake accounts en mass that can’t be fact checked? What a joke of so.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Can’t this be solved by retailers just limiting purchases to one unit per account? Or are fucking bots creating fake accounts en mass that can’t be fact checked? What a joke of so.
As I remember, that's the case. Here's hoping that demand flatlines and the scalpers all eat losses.

My translation: "Our stupidity has caused everyone to run to free alternatives and we're desperate."

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Apparently Lolipop Chainsaw just got a remake. And funnily enough IGN isn't reviewing it because...it's a remake and they reviewed the original game so they just pointed people to that review, which makes no sense considering they have reviewed tons of other remakes in the past. I didn't even know about this up until it came out lol.

Anyhow, I somehow never ended up playing it back in the day, so the remake is more than welcome. After I finish Wukong and episode Aigis that just came out too, I'm all over that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Apparently Lolipop Chainsaw just got a remake. And funnily enough IGN isn't reviewing it because...it's a remake and they reviewed the original game so they just pointed people to that review, which makes no sense considering they have reviewed tons of other remakes in the past. I didn't even know about this up until it came out lol.
Of course fucking IGN would. Even though the new version has quality of life improvements and all the DLC costumes are there without having to put in a digital download code.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Aw, that's a shame. Annapurna published quite a few indies I liked. Maybe the leavers plan on starting their own indie publishing thing, but that's gonna be tricky without financial backing.

Obviously. PS5pro seems to be mostly a gpu upgrade, supposedly putting it roughly in the ballpark of a RTX4070, and a 4070 can't get native 4K at 60fps with RT in every game. Tho cpu seems to be unchanged, so for a lot of games that are cpu-bound (i.e. open world) that's probably going to be the bottleneck. I'll bet you GTA6 will be 30fps. Probably not native 4K either, but upscaled + dynamic resolution.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Obviously. PS5pro seems to be mostly a gpu upgrade, supposedly putting it roughly in the ballpark of a RTX4070, and a 4070 can't get native 4K at 60fps with RT in every game. Tho cpu seems to be unchanged, so for a lot of games that are cpu-bound (i.e. open world) that's probably going to be the bottleneck. I'll bet you GTA6 will be 30fps. Probably not native 4K either, but upscaled + dynamic resolution.
I am not even shocked at this. This is nothing more than a glorified scam. Sony will suffer for this.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
So, I know I'm the dumb guy, but...

PS5Pro is bad because it's too expensive even with the graphical upgrades. XBox Series S is bad because it's not graphical upgrade enough even though it plays almost every game and is cheap but it "holds developers back"... Switch is great, but also too old and is a potato, but also graphics aren't that important and the industry push for graphics is ruining gaming and also where is the new Switch already wah wah for better graphics. But not PS5Pro, that's too much graphics.

Man... gaming is complicated!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
"holds developers back"...
It does when it uses cheaper hardware that can't function properly for these bigger budget games. Series X Only proved how pointless the Series S.

But not PS5Pro, that's too much graphics.
Less too much and more, there's not much of a butt difference. Wow, I can slightly see reflective services and leaves better. Somebody call Daily Planet for these new innovators here!

Switch is great, but also too old and is a potato,
The switch ain't that old. For as old as it is, it still churns out great games that actually are playable and are usually stable. Nintendo knows not to go over their budgets and they have no problem releasing medium or smaller budget level games for easier and better profit.

gaming is complicated!
It's not that complicated. You just have a bunch of assholed In charge that don't know what they want, or want the money the quickest way possible while screwing everybody over. At least most indie developers, AA studios, and Nintendo know what they want to do and most of them don't have to, nor want to, screw people over to get what they want.

Reactions: NerfedFalcon
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
It's the same old story every time a new console is released. Half-truth promises leading to bloated expectations.

7th Gen marked the end of sanity for hardware, oddly enough. One chipset carried games the whole way, from Resistance 1 to TLoU. And the improvements that translated through to the software side were massive. Funny thing is too, even on that notoriously difficult to code for system it seemed games took less time to make. Some Sony in house devs had four games on PS3.

The discourse was also generally more positive when upgrades weren’t even in the picture too. Sure there was the PC elitism about how consoles were holding things back more, but now that it isn't nearly as much of an issue the consoles are ironical doubling down on more hardware options like PCs.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
7th Gen marked the end of sanity for hardware, oddly enough. One chipset carried games the whole way, from Resistance 1 to TLoU. And the improvements that translated through to the software side were massive.
Eh, don't really agree. While fidelity did increase over the PS360 era as studios learned the ins and outs of hd developments and the consoles themselves, they still ran into a lot of limits, particularly memory, and performance overall really started suffering after about 2010-2011-ish. And performance was never one of that generations strong suits from the start.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Eh, don't really agree. While fidelity did increase over the PS360 era as studios learned the ins and outs of hd developments and the consoles themselves, they still ran into a lot of limits, particularly memory, and performance overall really started suffering after about 2010-2011-ish. And performance was never one of that generations strong suits from the start.

Still though, looking at launch games to those at the tail end was a dramatically different picture next to games across the PS4 life cycle or even cross gen PS5 games.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

Aw, that's a shame. Annapurna published quite a few indies I liked. Maybe the leavers plan on starting their own indie publishing thing, but that's gonna be tricky without financial backing.

Digital Foundry recently confirmed that PS5 PRo is equivalent to RTX 4070:

Okay, so $700 at first doesn't sound too bad in that regard, but let's pretend we want the disc drive and the vertical stand, also want to get a 4k tv. That's gonna be $810 + $300-500 for the TV. I kinda feel everyone is gonna want the disc drive at least, not sure on the vertical stand; So we're looking at around $1070 minimum. Oh but you gotta pay for that PS+ subscription as well, which at minimum will run you $10/mo. So for about an year of use, we are seeing $1190 total.

Again that's just my estimate and the price can very; I.E. Someone may already have a 4K TV, wait for sale on the console or the TV, want to purchase an extra SSD, choose or not choose to get the disc drive or the vertical stand, etc. But essentially it looks like for the price point alone PS5 Pro doesn't seem all that different from a gaming PC?

I feel gaming pc do have a bit more advantage here; Lots of third-party sellers to get games cheaper, no need to pay for extra subscriptions, the option to upgrade each part instead of getting a whole new system, etc.

Last edited: