General Gaming News.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I've used ray tracing and while it can be interesting, I'm not gonna do it every single freaking time. Not to mention a while factor already left me within a year. Especially if i'm going for a high S rank, No damage, No death run. You shouldn't be surprised by my response. I said this all the way to hot takes red back around 2021. I'd rather just have a game, run a smooth 60fps without RT. Raytracing with 60fps, ain't worth $700+. You can have phone with that if you wish, but no, thank you. I already got a powerful enough console and gaming laptop. I'm not wasting money on a surface level mid gen upgrade.

Remember when the PS2 Slim was cheaper than the launch PS2? That's how you do it!

Edit: There's no disc drive either, and they're charging seven hundred dollars for this? Go to hell Sony!
Wasn’t the regular PS5 touted as a ray tracing powerhouse as it is?

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Seems Sony is back to where they were during the PS3 era, overconfident after having trounce one of their main competitor (back then Sega now MS). Time for them to get a beat down and shape up (ie, fire a bunch of overpayed incompetent exec).

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Seems Sony is back to where they were during the PS3 era, overconfident after having trounce one of their main competitor (back then Sega now MS). Time for them to get a beat down and shape up (ie, fire a bunch of overpayed incompetent exec).
The difference being people were actually looking forward to the PS3 - Who was asking for a PS5 Pro? The PS5 is running pretty much all games at 60fps with great image quality, with some still supporting ray tracing. 700 bucks for slightly more ray tracing and image quality... I don't know what the fuck is going on at Sony HQ that they thought this wouldn't get booed off the stage.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
The PS5 Pro launch model also won't come with a disc drive; So you need to shill out $80 official version. AND vertical stand is not included. $30 please!!!

So that means it's gonna cost you $810 before tax just for the "ideal setup", with some regions outside US asking for more.

JFC, and I thought PS3's original planned price of $600 for 60 GB model back in E3 2006 was bad.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I sure am excited to see how much this Pro will be in my country. Might actually be more expensive than my PC.

Also, I was never going to get one, but I was hoping for more a visual change. The PS4 Pro looked like an upgrade. Beefy ************. So far this just looks like they gamer-ized it with super cool vents! So cutting edge! Much advanced!

Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The PS5 Pro launch model also won't come with a disc drive; So you need to shill out $80 official version. AND vertical stand is not included. $30 please!!!

So that means it's gonna cost you $810 before tax just for the "ideal setup", with some regions outside US asking for more.

JFC, and I thought PS3's original planned price of $600 for 60 GB model back in E3 2006 was bad.
Since when is vertical stand "ideal setup?" My PS5 is horizontal. Heck I even put black plates on it.

Yes I know my contribution here is superficial but the PS5 Pro is not for me so I don't care otherwise hahah

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

This is probably better meant for the hot takes thread, but the ironically OG PS3 is probably still Sony’s best value console for the price when it comes to features.

Think about it: at the time when nobody thought they’d ever want to part with DVD’s we got one of the best Blu-Ray players for less than the cost of most stand-alone’s, it supported all the best audio codecs at the time, and could be updated via firmware for things like 3D playback and HDMI 2.0 unlike others. It was a gaming and multimedia machine that also supported Linux, complete with kb/mouse which sadly was never taken advantage of. IIRC UT3 was one of the only games that officially supported it. It also had some of the best PS exclusives we’ve ever seen (and heard).

Oh, and it even did that Folding @ Home thing that’s used for helping to find cures for diseases. I remember leaving mine on while I was away for the weekend, and the thing stayed cooler than my PS4 feels after an hour of gaming. While certainly not efficient for game programming the Cell was a beast, and the original plan was to use two of them in the PS3, but supply issues and cost forced them to ditch that idea and replace the second one with the “custom” GPU that ultimately wound up bottlenecking the I/O pipeline, along with the limited RAM.

If there is one retro console I wish I’d bought an extra one of just to have as a collector’s item it would’ve been this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is probably better meant for the hot takes thread, but the ironically OG PS3 is probably still Sony’s best value console for the price when it comes to features.

Think about it: at the time when nobody thought they’d ever want to part with DVD’s we got one of the best Blu-Ray players for less than the cost of most stand-alone’s, it supported all the best audio codecs at the time, and could be updated via firmware for things like 3D playback and HDMI 2.0 unlike others. It was a gaming and multimedia machine that also supported Linux, complete with kb/mouse which sadly was never taken advantage of. IIRC UT3 was one of the only games that officially supported it.

Oh, and it even did that Folding @ Home thing that’s used for helping to find cures for diseases. I remember leaving mine on while I was away for the weekend, and the thing stayed cooler than my PS4 feels after an hour of gaming. While certainly not efficient for game programming the Cell was a beast, and the original plan was to use two of them in the PS3, but supply issues and cost forced them to ditch that idea and replace the second one with the “custom” GPU that ultimately wound up bottlenecking the I/O pipeline, along with the limited RAM.

If there is one retro console I wish I’d bought an extra one of just to have as a collector’s item it would’ve been this one.
The main flaw with the PS3 is that the 1st party, Dual Shock 3, sucks. They have 10 year life span the moment you open the box. After 10 years, they fall apart from the inside no matter how often you clean them, take care of them, or don't drop them. Sony cheaped out on the parts for these.

New Indie Action Game - Might Reya

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
The main flaw with the PS3 is that the 1st party, Dual Shock 3, sucks. They have 10 year life span the moment you open the box. After 10 years, they fall apart from the inside no matter how often you clean them, take care of them, or don't drop them. Sony cheaped out on the parts for these.

New Indie Action Game - Might Reya
Yeah it felt a bit flimsier than DS2 too possibly because of the Six Axis, which was another underused feature. It felt great with sniping in Killzone 2. But that said, I’ve had DS4’s end up in worse shape with less use due to stick drift before anything detrimental happened with other official Sony controller models.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I’ve had DS4’s end up in worse shape with less use due to stick drift before anything detrimental happened with other official Sony controller models.
I've might have gotten luck, because I only had the one controller do that, and it was a gold DS4. All the other DS4s work fine. I only have the two now, because I traded in the others. A red and a blue.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Since when is vertical stand "ideal setup?" My PS5 is horizontal. Heck I even put black plates on it.

Yes I know my contribution here is superficial but the PS5 Pro is not for me so I don't care otherwise hahah
Every marketing I've seen for PS5, and now PS5 Pro, depicts the consoles in the vertical standing position. While setting it down is probably fine for many, some people might prefer the vertical position to save horizontal space. I think we can all agree $30 for the stand is ridiculous, and someone can probably put together wood boards or 3d print the stands themselves.

Think about it: at the time when nobody thought they’d ever want to part with DVD’s we got one of the best Blu-Ray players for less than the cost of most stand-alone’s, it supported all the best audio codecs at the time, and could be updated via firmware for things like 3D playback and HDMI 2.0 unlike others. It was a gaming and multimedia machine that also supported Linux, complete with kb/mouse which sadly was never taken advantage of. IIRC UT3 was one of the only games that officially supported it. It also had some of the best PS exclusives we’ve ever seen (and heard).

Okay, fair points, but let's pretend that $600 stayed instead of that $299 price cut; Would all those features have been worth it? Not to mention, $600 back in 2006 inflates to around $940 today.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Okay, fair points, but let's pretend that $600 stayed instead of that $299 price cut; Would all those features have been worth it? Not to mention, $600 back in 2006 inflates to around $940 today.
The PS3 had a blu-ray player in it when that tech was new and blu-ray players where over $1000. Which made the PS3 a huge deal even for the blu-ray functionality alone.

If you compare that to the Ps5 Pro, a GPU capable of raytracing and 60fps ultra settings, will run you 1500-2000. So the Ps5Pro is a steal at $700 considering you get a whole ass system. So if you are a console gamer with a good TV the Ps5Pro willbe the cheapest option for that top level graphical performance.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Every marketing I've seen for PS5, and now PS5 Pro, depicts the consoles in the vertical standing position. While setting it down is probably fine for many, some people might prefer the vertical position to save horizontal space. I think we can all agree $30 for the stand is ridiculous, and someone can probably put together wood boards or 3d print the stands themselves.

They would have still been worth it as an option, but they just did the Slim cost down instead and called it a day. The full featured OG would’ve came down in price along side it, albeit to a lesser degree.

Oddly enough that $940 is nearly what the BOM for PS3 was at launch (just shy of $900 on the 60GB). Sony took a huge hit on each sold console and it wasn’t until around the Slim they started breaking even let alone profit. Software is what made up for it…eventually, along with spearheading the next big media format.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
That thing is gonna cost $1200 in Australia. Nearly, $1400 since the disc drive will probably be like $160. Although it comes with a 2TB SSD so that’s an improvement of sorts.

Now I know for a fact there will be young people with disposable income, and various first adaptors who will buy these - and if I’m lucky it will be in sufficient numbers that the used price for a PS5 goes down to around $500 - but given the cost of living situation in Australia, I foresee the opposite of the COVID rush: these fuckers are gonna shelf warm.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America