Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Other than being 3rd person action games, neither have much in common. Hi-Fi is a 3rd person Action Rhythm Brawler in the style of a PS2 game (think DMC combined with Jet Set Radio and Guitaroo Man) with modern sensibilities. Forspoken focuses on mainly projectile combat with magic and melee mixed in-between, but is more of an Action-RPG. At the same time, Square just wanted to FFXV again, but with only slightly better combat and magic system.

Amen to that, brother! This type of shit dates all the way back to the SNES/Genesis days on the playground, lunch time, or after school. I got sick of it by the mid sixth generation era, and anyone trying that shit I told them to screw off. Either enjoy your game(s) or don't, but leave me out of your dumb elitist shit.
Not gonna lie, rhythm games aren't normally my thing but Hi FI looks like a lot of fun and something I'll probably grab at some point when I'm in the mood for something bright and colorful as it seems to be.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not gonna lie, rhythm games aren't normally my thing but Hi FI looks like a lot of fun and something I'll probably grab at some point when I'm in the mood for something bright and colorful as it seems to be.
I do recommend it whenever you get the chance. Make sure to use the training mode when you first encounter it or whenever in between chapters. That way you can get a feel for the combat, combos, and the rhythm you will be able to pull off. A quick heads up, you won't learn the parry mechanic (it works similar to how Royal Guard, Moon of Khala, and MGR does it) until the third stage. That's okay, as the game guides the player fine. The first two chapters aren't that long. I do wish they put it earlier in the first chapter, but I get why. They wanted to ease players in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Huge news for me specifically: Rhapsody 2 & 3, never before released in the west, is being released as Mail Kingdom Chronicles for the Switch, PS4, PS5, and Steam

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Apparently that game gives you trigger warnings, unironically.
Yes? I don't see why they would use irony.
Never had any interest in playing it to begin with but that sure doesn't change my mind lol. With the degree of specificity these are basically spoilers too.
They can be disabled. In fact they have to be actively enabled.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ubisoft Sending Auto-Refunds on Skull and Bones Preorders is a Bad Sign for its Future (gamerant.com)

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Yes? I don't see why they would use irony.

They can be disabled. In fact they have to be actively enabled.
Trigger warnings are as a concept ridiculous so if you are a game, and a horror game at that, the only way you could coherently make use of them would be to ironically warn people as a means of hyping them up that the next scene will be extra awesome. You know, like how they had an ad of moms being horrified at Dead Space 2 as a means of promoting it, and not using those reactions as a means of castigating their own game, which is kinda what this does. (by unironically using trigger warnings you are de-facto buying in to the idea that your fiction could cause psychological harm to someone, which is the opposite position to the freedom of expression and the arts that videogames rely on to exist, which posits that nobody who wasn't already unstable to begin with would become unbalanced from playing a game, so when your game is already rated the adult-only rating, you should just let adults decide for themselves if they can handle the game or not)

Anything else instantly becomes seen as corporate pandering inauthentic BS that desperately tries to be inclusive, to the detriment of the game.

You know what would be cool? Keep the option to toggle trigger warnings on there, but when someone picks it, the game calls em a pussy and autolocks on hard mode for a week. That'd earn it some good publicity and give people a chuckle that they'd pick it just to see the game's reaction.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Trigger warnings are as a concept ridiculous so if you are a game, and a horror game at that, the only way you could coherently make use of them would be to ironically warn people as a means of hyping them up that the next scene will be extra awesome. You know, like how they had an ad of moms being horrified at Dead Space 2 as a means of promoting it, and not using those reactions as a means of castigating their own game, which is kinda what this does. (by unironically using trigger warnings you are de-facto buying in to the idea that your fiction could cause psychological harm to someone, which is the opposite position to the freedom of expression and the arts that videogames rely on to exist, which posits that nobody who wasn't already unstable to begin with would become unbalanced from playing a game, so when your game is already rated the adult-only rating, you should just let adults decide for themselves if they can handle the game or not)

Anything else instantly becomes seen as corporate pandering inauthentic BS that desperately tries to be inclusive, to the detriment of the game.

You know what would be cool? Keep the option to toggle trigger warnings on there, but when someone picks it, the game calls em a pussy and autolocks on hard mode for a week. That'd earn it some good publicity and give people a chuckle that they'd pick it just to see the game's reaction.

I really don't understand why we have to protect people's feelings these days so hard. It's babying people and frankly insulting that we can't trust people to know what they hell they are buying. At the same time they almost need them in the age of snowflakes, because without them SOMEONE would cause a big stink that the horror game had triggering scenes of gore in it.

Frankly if you are an easily triggered individual, then you obvious know that about yourself so you should have some personal responsibility and look into the things you buy for yourself. Like if gore, monsters, graphic violence, whatever are things that upset you...maybe you shouldn't buy the horror game where all of that is listed on the box. It's really dumb and it unminds the idea of people being responsible for their own actions.

It's the same nonsense that Ubisoft has to put in front of Assassin's Creed games that say "This was made by a bunch of people of all races so please don't call us racist based of stereotypical depictions that you might see in the following game about Greek's/italians/etc etc". It's so stupid because it suggests that coorporations KNOW that there is a mob of people who actively look for random shit to be offended by, and by warning people in advance they are also acknowledging that they are afraid of these people. Which is an attitude that severely restricts developer's ability to freely develop their art, stories, and characters because they'll always have to worry about offending someone.

You end up with extremely uncreative junk.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Man, reading those is so funny. On one article they whine that otaku poison the games by being too self-centered in their expectations, on the next they complain that their preferred way of handling gender and sexuality weren't met by the game and that this causes it to be bad somehow, instead of just accepting that game isn't supposed to meet their self-centered gender and sexuality expectations.

Maybe they should listen to each-other's complaints more? Or is this just about only the self-centered interests of otaku in particular, and other groups of folks do get to be self-centered.

I really don't understand why we have to protect people's feelings these days so hard. It's babying people and frankly insulting that we can't trust people to know what they hell they are buying. At the same time they almost need them in the age of snowflakes, because without them SOMEONE would cause a big stink that the horror game had triggering scenes of gore in it.

Frankly if you are an easily triggered individual, then you obvious know that about yourself so you should have some personal responsibility and look into the things you buy for yourself. Like if gore, monsters, graphic violence, whatever are things that upset you...maybe you shouldn't buy the horror game where all of that is listed on the box. It's really dumb and it unminds the idea of people being responsible for their own actions.

It's the same nonsense that Ubisoft has to put in front of Assassin's Creed games that say "This was made by a bunch of people of all races so please don't call us racist based of stereotypical depictions that you might see in the following game about Greek's/italians/etc etc". It's so stupid because it suggests that coorporations KNOW that there is a mob of people who actively look for random shit to be offended by, and by warning people in advance they are also acknowledging that they are afraid of these people. Which is an attitude that severely restricts developer's ability to freely develop their art, stories, and characters because they'll always have to worry about offending someone.

You end up with extremely uncreative junk.
Funny thing actually, I showed my Greek mom a bit of AC Odyssey one time, it was a part in a town somewhere where you hear people speak ancient Greek randomly so I thought it was cool for her to see, and first thing she said was "why are there so many black people if this is trying to be historically accurate?" lol, I just kinda got used to looking past random weird inclusion in american games so it didn't really stand out to me but it sure did to her. It's clear that they're just pandering and overcompensating as opposed to trying to uphold any sort of ideal so as soon as they hear that someone isn't nordic style white they go to sub-saharan tones when actually most people were just lightly tanned at the time lol.

Oh also look at the image I posted last page, they're not even just warning people about gore but about things like "medical malpractice" and "psychological manipulation", so it goes beyond just someone being too sensitive to gore, which is understandable.

Last edited:
Reactions: FakeSympathy

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Fucking hell folks, now completely optional opt-in options are objectionable?
I mean, it depends on the option in particular, doesn't it?

Also in this case specifically, the option betrays the mentality that went into parts of the design of the game, which have wider ramifications than just the pussy toggle in and of itself.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I mean, it depends on the option in particular, doesn't it?

Also in this case specifically, the option betrays the mentality that went into parts of the design of the game, which have wider ramifications than just the pussy toggle in and of itself.
Such as what, precisely? What is the wider ramification?

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Content warnings have existed for years, this is just giving people a greater degree of specificity in their implementation.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
"I don't understand your trauma so I'm going to mock it."
I'm mocking your inability as an adult (cause the game is marketed as an adult-only game based on the rating it has) to be unable to judge ahead of time whether your trauma will prevent you from being able to play the game unharmed to the degree that you need the game to infantilize you and treat you as a child that needs a figure of authority to parent them and judge whether something is too scary or too triggering, when in fact you ought to be able to make that determination for yourself, by yourself.

Do you know what scary games do to me? (good ones anyhow, stuff like corspe party) The make me paranoid, I literally jump at shadows. So knowing this about myself, I augment how I experience them so that I can enjoy it without being too scared to go to the bathroom or having to examine my closets afterwards lol. (in my case, playing with friends usually does the trick so I don't get too in my head)

I don't need the game dev to be kind to me and gently let me know I'm gonna be triggered, that's my responsibility to handle, and I feel condescended to by the attempt.

Content warnings have existed for years, this is just giving people a greater degree of specificity in their implementation.
Content warning at the start of the game like when you go to the cinema is totally fine, nobody's talking about that, just this specific form of them as a popup. Kindly don't tilt the goal posts please.