BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Congrats, dude!

I already did my taxes, and I will never give my SSN to anime girls.

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

Hmm, this is starting to sound a lot like OW2 model. That just killed my interest

You know, Sony has been complaining about Microsoft getting too much exclusives, but they need to realize people would rather have a few quality exclusives over a bunch of shitty ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Hmm, this is starting to sound a lot like OW2 model. That just killed my interest

You know, Sony has been complaining about Microsoft getting too much exclusives, but they need to realize people would rather have a few quality exclusives over a bunch of shitty ones.
In other words: Sony is crying over spilled milk. They didn't lose a damn thing.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Anybody has a retro portable emulator player like retroid? I've been thinking about getting one but there's so many version and some of them apparently really exaggerate what they can reliably play.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
So, earlier this week there was a presentation on the totally-not-The-Sims-Title Life By You. I just watched through the presentation:

(skip ahead to 7:20)

The Sims comparisons abounds, which is not surprising given that the head honcho at Paradox Tectonic, Rod Humble, used to work on The Sims 2 and The Sims 3.

The step between The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 was marked by two features.

1. You can customize EVERYTHING in the latter title, just by telling the game that "I want this object with this texture" and the game allowed it, as Yahtzee pointed out in his Zero Punctuation review.
2. The world truly is open world now, as opposed to how it was in The Sims 2 where you had to call a cab, the game would load the map, you'd pick a lot(but only a commercial one; never a neighbour), wait for it to load, do the activities there, return home and the clock was reset to when you left. In The Sims 3, you truly could zoom out and the game would let you seamlessly leave your house.

The Sims 4 I am less familiar with, but they basically removed those features, and when I read Wikipedia I see that The Sims 4 was meant to be online before the SimCity backlash forced them to make it single player offline, despite their engine being more optimized for online play.

I bring up the history of The Sims and the step from 2 to 3 for a reason, since in this presentation those are the two main things that stuck out to me as being copied from The Sims. They emphasize that you can go anywhere, and customize everything.

Apart from that they appear to actually have real conversations in Life By You, no longer are the people speaking nonsense Simlish, a tool that they are proud of and they liked the emergent storytelling of it. I am a bit doubtful. I have played Crusader Kings II, another game with emergent storytelling, but there the conversations were rather static, it was the dynamics and the underlying personality behind the standard conversations that led to emergent storytelling. Time will tell if it turns out to be a killer feature.

They also emphasized that their tools are *really* mod-friendly and they cannot wait to see what the community will create and share. The cynic in me wants to see that as they wanting their userbase to make the game for them, but the fact still remains that a fun creative tool can be as much fun or more than an experience professionally designed.

Finally, I want to point out something I found a bit interesting that was not part of the presentation:

The Sims is made by Maxis in Redwood Shores, California.

Life By You is made by Paradox Tectonic in Berkeley, California.

That's 51 minutes travel time by car. I suspect workers on either studio upset about their working conditions can apply for a job at the other place. That is good for the workers. I suspect Paradox Tectonic is hoping to pick up some talent that might leave/have left Maxis.

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Seems like the Ricky and Morty accusations have been deemed bullshit and the lawsuit has been dropped.
There's still the issue of him trying to get it on with underage and teenage girls, so he can still get fucked. The sexting cannot and will not be erased. Roiland's career is over either way.

Reactions: Zetatrain

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Has Ninja Theory ever not been 'Look at our faces though, WOAH!!!'?
That's fatal flaw, and got tiring with nearly each game. In fact, the only time they didn't do this, was with DmC (2013). Because they were too busy being dumb, egotistical, wannabe edge-lords too bust antagonizing their own target audience to their usual schtick.

Congratulations, you made "realistic" graphics! So did over a million others! The RE Engine says high by the way!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I feel like they are trying way to hard to LOOK good, that they have forgotten to also make the game good.
This two has also always been a fatal flaw in ninja theory. They're always so focused on cool visuals, that the gameplay in combat for majority of their games are either average or mediocre.