General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Namor isn't Wakandan. For their interpretation of Atlantis, the MCU is making them Aztec/Mayan themed. The dude playing him is Mexican.

They're not doing a battle for the throne thing, with Namor at least. Wakanda battling Atlantis is pretty common in the comics. From the trailer, it seems Wakanda with their advanced technology accidentally discovered Atlantis and now shits going down.

I agree that the actor is Spanish and they're using a Mayan theme, but based on the trailer I got the impression he's half-wakandan. Is it confirmed yet what his origin is somewhere?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I agree that the actor is Spanish and they're using a Mayan theme, but based on the trailer I got the impression he's half-wakandan. Is it confirmed yet what his origin is somewhere?
That, I do not know. However, Namor's backstory in the comics is somewhat tied to vibranium, so it's totally possible he has more personal reasons to attack Wakanda. I will say though, it would be weird for him to be half Wakandan. Like you said, they've already done that with Killmonger.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
His show is going to have 18 eps which sounds... crazy. But I do love the character and Cox's portrayal. Apparently the cancellation of season 4 was a huge blow, and one of the big reasons he hasn't taken any major roles lately.

I just know they're gonna fuck this up though... I don't even care about the grittiness and darkness of the original, I just want some good fucking fight scenes. Which these D+ shows have been sorely missing.

Reactions: BrawlMan

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009

I mean it's better than the first trailer, I guess? But even with the addition of Abomination and Daredevil, this still looks kinda bad.

Also, that 4th wall break was cringe
That trailer gives off, to me at least, an odd mix of Saturday Morning Kid’s show (like Power Rangers) and Saturday Evening Teen to Adult show (Xena, Hercules, Jack of All Trades) vibes.

I can’t really put my finger on why, but everything has a very safe feel. Like if Abomination gets loose the worst he’s gonna accomplish is flip a few tables at the local juice/smoothie bar or wreck a couple of derelict and abandoned warehouses.

And speaking of Abomination, the brief glimpse we saw didn’t exactly look like a vicious, murderous abomination. He looked like a borderline cute alien.

Daredevil’s costume looks like a costume rather than his armor/super suit.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Daredevil’s costume looks like a costume rather than his armor/super suit.
I'm not entirely sure why they decided to go with the red and yellow suit. Some people love it when something, no matter how stupid it looks, is adapted to live action. Personally, I think they should have perfected his plain red suit first. His Netflix suit only ever really looked good in the dark.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Guy 1: We're going to invade the surface world. Give me options.

Guy 2: Well, we're going to attack a landlocked nation on one of the world's driest continents, and this nation has the most advanced technology in the world. How's that?

Guy 3: I don't think that-

Guy 1: Done!

(I don't know if any of that is valid, but, well, meh.)
I don't know how familiar you are with the comics, but Namor is rather infamous for making poorly thought out decisions.

Reactions: BrawlMan and Hawki

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I like the gunplay/swordplay mix in JW4. Really hoping it ends at 5 though but maybe it’s already a moot point to complain about sequelitis for this cash cow.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Vince McMahon may have retired, but he's still fucked legally.

Another Uber rich A-Hole thinking he can buy his way out of anything. What else is new?

Anyways, China being China -

Also, it may have took inspiration but it also took many, many liberties with the plausibility factor -

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

So you denounce the source material yet have no problem cashing off of it? Fuck you

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

So you denounce the source material yet have no problem cashing off of it? Fuck you
Kinda like how Disney shamelessly cashed in on Stan Lee’s work.

I completely get what Martin is saying there.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Its cute that they think they have that power.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

First of all, the ones supposedly denouncing it are the actors, who aren't exactly cashing off of it. Secondly, this article feels rather hostile toward actors who simply express their gratitude for finally being allowed to play characters in productions that typically don't allow that chance for people of color. I don't think anyone said anything about erasing Tolkien's work or denouncing it, other the writer of the article.

The Peter Jackson Trilogy did plenty of "erasing" itself, what with Tom Bombadil and the Cleansing of the Shire. It also changed entire characters like Gollum and Faramir in The Two Towers, and turned the Ents into apathetic characters that needed to get told by Merry and Pippin to do anything. And then there's Gimli who got reduced to a clown for the entire trilogy. I'm sorry, but this new show actually has a lot to live up to when it comes to changing Tolkien's work.