General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Done. These are all a billion times better than whatever 3+ hours of suffering in that soon to be disaster!

...My good sir, I do hope that you are not implying that Batman Beyond's 'Batman musical' is even remotely close to the same league as The Brave and the Bold's Mayhem of the Music Meister. Why, that would be so outlandish as to positively drive me bats!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
the RE movies kinda don't get that. Except for the really rare moments they do and honestly those are the few times I actually enjoyed the movies.
The problem with the RE movies is that they try so hard to come off as cool and Matrixy, that nothing stands out and looks lame. They copy things with little meaning, and only because it looks cool, or "because it the monster(s) is from one of the games (and not a single Hunter in sight)".

I think part of the problem is the series is generally kinda cheesy and campy but in a way that works in a game setting
Despite the cheesiness, when an RE game got serious (barring vanilla RE1), it knew when to get serious. Whether it be scary, creepy, sad, heartwarming, or a straight up awesome moment.
I've honestly never played the series but I feel I've gotten an appreciation for it from Noah Gervaises 7 and a half hour video on the entire series, and of course the culture osmosis from the past 20 or so years.
Check his Evil Within video. It doubles as an Alan Wake video. Do note he has some unfavorable and debatable opinions on AW, but nothing that really bothers me. EW1 & 2 he favors greatly. Whenever you get the chance, try any of the RE's, if you got the time. If you want to start with the REmakes, that is fine too. I've been a fan since RE2; my first RE game.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
...My good sir, I do hope that you are not implying that Batman Beyond's 'Batman musical' is even remotely close to the same league as The Brave and the Bold's Mayhem of the Music Meister. Why, that would be so outlandish as to positively drive me bats!

I wasn't implying shit. All I am saying, is anything is better than, whatever horrible musical the hacks at Hollywood come up with in Joker 2.

I've never forgotten that awesome song NPH.

Reactions: Asita

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The problem with the RE movies is that they try so hard to come off as cool and Matrixy, that nothing stands out and looks lame. They copy things with little meaning, and only because it looks cool, or "because it the monster(s) is from one of the games (and not a single Hunter in sight)".
Yeah, as someone who has never played the games, the movies go downhill in a very consistent slope. But Milla Jovovich is Milla Jovovich-ey enough so that even at the end (and glad they gave it a final end) it's still sorta ok.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But Milla Jovovich is Milla Jovovich-ey enough so that even at the end (and glad they gave it a final end) it's still sorta ok.
Still not worth the brain cell destroying stupidity, nor worth the tedium. it's also not worth the sacrifice of two stunt women for shitty movies. One stunt woman lost a limb in the production of the 5th movie, and another stunt woman died during the production of the final movie. Neither she, nor the relatives of the other were compensated in any fashion. Fuck WS Anderson, fuck Milla, and fuck the Hollywood industry! They all have more than enough money to do something. The only "good" out of this is that because of the failure of the Monster Hunter movie, in not only America, but performing worst in China, I'll never have to hear about their stupid adaptions ever again. Even so called fans of the live action RE films, got sick of the same shit over and over with MH. Took them fucking long enough.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Check his Evil Within video. It doubles as an Alan Wake video. Do note he has some unfavorable and debatable opinions on AW, but nothing that really bothers me. EW1 & 2 he favors greatly. Whenever you get the chance, try any of the RE's, if you got the time. If you want to start with the REmakes, that is fine too. I've been a fan since RE2; my first RE game.

Already did saw the AW/EW video and it was interesting. I've played AW of the two and his take didn't bother me much though I didn't like AW when I played it as much as I wanted to tbh. In fact, he's convinced me to grab the REmakers for 1-3 next time there's a Capcom sale on Steam. Apparently they're good places to start and you're not really losing much by not having played the originals first. Unless you really like the tank controls of the originals.

I just never realized how long and convoluted the whole series was until I watched that video. And I didn't really realize that RE6 was trying to ape Call of Duty of all things. Seriously Capcom?

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria

In the news and apparently surprising nobody.

Strangely, the films apparently did well enough to get like 6 of them despite the fact they apparently became increasingly incomprehensible as they went on.
Didn't it do good numbers viewership wise?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Didn't it do good numbers viewership wise?
No.

Already did saw the AW/EW video and it was interesting. I've played AW of the two and his take didn't bother me much though I didn't like AW when I played it as much as I wanted to tbh. In fact, he's convinced me to grab the REmakers for 1-3 next time there's a Capcom sale on Steam. Apparently they're good places to start and you're not really losing much by not having played the originals first. Unless you really like the tank controls of the originals.
Ok then! I am not sure if you missed it, but there was a sale on all things Capcom a few weeks back on consoles and PC. Including everything RE. I am sure there will be another sale during October, so try grabbing them when the opportunity comes up again.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I haven't totally ruled it out yet. But there's a good chance we'll both be dead by the time they do
Not a big deal, as I already got a great substitute. Also, if the Streets of Rage movie becomes a success and is actually good, then I definitely don't care anymore and won't be looking back.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
No.

Ok then! I am not sure if you missed it, but there was a sale on all things Capcom a few weeks back on consoles and PC. Including everything RE. I am sure there will be another sale during October, so try grabbing them when the opportunity comes up again.
I probably noticed it but wasn't interested at the time. I also know well enough Capcom has sales quite often so I'll have another shot soon enough.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just never realized how long and convoluted the whole series was until I watched that video. And I didn't really realize that RE6 was trying to ape Call of Duty of all things. Seriously Capcom?
The 2010s was when Capcom, and many other Japanese devs, were trying and failing to capture the Western COD/Gears of War audience, and be more "mature" in the worst possible way. Bionic Commando (3D reboot), Dark Void (though only in color palette), and DmC (2013) are their most famous examples. Everyone forgot about Lost Planet 3 when they turned it in to a 4th rate Dead Space clone. Dead Rising 3 had a darker 7th gen/8th gen tone, but had enough tone and humor to keep it properly balanced. Plus, the stand alone DLC is legit fun.

Capcom made a similar mistake back in 6th gen with Final Fight: Streetwise and Beatdown: Fist of Vengeance. Two shitty GTA clones no one was asking for!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And most people don't even remember at this point, which tells you how successful they were.
Most people remember Streetwise, only because of its reputation and what happens when you don't read the room. Matt McMuscles keeps brining it up too, and is one of the few defenders of the game's positive aspects. Nearly everyone has forgotten Beatdown. More people remember God Hand and Urban Reign (Namco). GH is a great game, but did not sell well, and the same applies to UR. The former is goofy and knows how to be fun, while the latter has a more serious tone, but has great combat mechanics, and at least has some self-awareness. Streetwise and Beatdown are none of those things.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
And people will not learn from this mistake, things which are successful in their own niche must be pushed into some other, bigger niche and made to imitate whatever dominates them, which generally will continue to dominate it because it fits the niche.

In various forms, in various industries, been happening for ages.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
And people will not learn from this mistake, things which are successful in their own niche must be pushed into some other, bigger niche and made to imitate whatever dominates them, which generally will continue to dominate it because it fits the niche.

In various forms, in various industries, been happening for ages.
To be fair, most people don't learn anything.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010