General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
DC = Dysfunctional Comics. Maybe Cavill wanted a pay hike but he should've gotten one considering what he left to go back to this role. Now that's gone and so is The Witcher FFS. Maybe there will be a way back into that one though now that Superman is nixed, who knows.

Reactions: BrawlMan

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
The level of influence that Rooster Teeth commands now, is honestly quite bizarre.

When I was watching their stuff, it was literally just a bunch of dudes from their office dubbing over Halo video clips, and even when RWBY started out, it was more or less the same thing, just with their own (quite janky) bespoke animation. I mean, the voice actor for one of their main characters - Weiss - was literally Rooster Teeth's receptionist at the time.

Then they somehow convinced Michael B. Jordan to be in one of their shows, and now they are releasing crossover animated movies with some of the biggest characters in the world, alongside their own.

I must have missed something.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Which is again all the more ironic, as their is popular RWBY/JL fanfic that came out 4 years ago with a similar premise. The only difference is that team RWBY and JPNR end up heading to JL's Earth.
The level of influence that Rooster Teeth commands now, is honestly quite bizarre.

When I was watching their stuff, it was literally just a bunch of dudes from their office dubbing over Halo video clips, and even when RWBY started out, it was more or less the same thing, just with their own (quite janky) bespoke animation. I mean, the voice actor for one of their main characters - Weiss - was literally Rooster Teeth's receptionist at the time.
Goes to show how much of an impact RWBY has. While the animation was quite janky in the beginning, Monty Oum was known for his Dead Fantasy videos. Fan videos of just the DOA and FF ladies brawling it out with little plot, and the animation being surprisingly good. I still remember when I first saw these vids in 2008 on GameTrailers former website.

Then they somehow convinced Michael B. Jordan to be in one of their shows, and now they are releasing crossover animated movies with some of the biggest characters in the world, alongside their own.
While I did find B. Jordan starring in a Roster Teeth surprising, it makes sense. Dude is a huge anime fan, and is a known DBZ fan.

EDIT: With all of that said RT are still assholes, the production trouble behind gen:LOCK is ridiculous. A lot of fans hate Season 2, and it would not surprise me if a third season never gets picked up.

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

I must have missed something.
Um, yeah, I think you did.

RvB wasn't dubbing over Halo clips (mostly), it was machinima done using the engine. As much as I detest what RvB became, from seasons 1-6, the writing was absolutely excellent. So good that Halo started referencing RvB in turn via easter eggs and even game modes. But as for Rooster Teeth today?

Well, what's weird for RT for me today is that (and yes, this is subjective), their best shows tend to be overlooked, while their weaker shows are the ones that get the spotlight. Camp Camp is hilarious, but obscure, to the extent that it doesn't even have a Wikipedia entry, yet Recorded by Arazal (five mini-episodes compared to four seasons) does because...um, reasons. Nomad of Nowhere was pretty neat, but only got one season, and if it's ever continued, it won't be with RT.

On the other hand, there's gen:LOCK. Seen the first season, it's...okay, I guess? It certainly has higher production values, but it's nothing special in terms of writing. And then there's RWBY. Everyone LOVES RWBY. And...okay, I'll just say it, I kind of despise RWBY. The animation is lacklustre, the writing is lacklustre, the action is over the top vapid action, etc. People have dissected why RWBY is so terrible, yet somehow, most people love it. Love it so much that it's even big in Japan. Maybe I'm just yelling at clouds, but RWBY reminds me of a shift RT seems to have gone - their old works had limited technology due to being machinima, but the writing was excellent. Now, the animation is better, but the writing has plummetted (see RvB), and when it isn't (Camp Camp, Nomad), they're just overlooked. And it makes me a sad panda. No, scratch that, a mad panda, because it's so obvious to me that seasons 9/10 of RvB are terrible (yet people love the Freelancers), that RWBY is a terribly written show carried only by over the top spectacle fighting, yet I'm in the minority. Please, someone, help me!

(Seriously, how the hell does Arazal get a Wikipedia entry but not Camp Camp?)

Goes to show how much of an impact RWBY has. While the animation was quite janky in the beginning, Monty Oum was known for his Dead Fantasy videos. Fan videos of just the DOA and FF ladies brawling it out with little plot, and the animation being surprisingly good. I still remember when I first saw these vids in 2008 on GameTrailers former website.
Yeah, but "little plot" is the key word.

Was Monty a good animator? Yeah, sure. But how has that translated to actual storytelling? Because it certainly isn't in RWBY, and as much as I hate to speak ill of the dead, I honestly think him working on RvB was to its detriment. RvB started off as a comedy where even someone like Tex was barely competent, but under Monty, starting with season 7/8, we got hyper-action scenes, and season 9/10 spent much of its runtime showing Freelancers just mowing down grunts with over-the-top spectacle, bereft of any real narrative weight or gravitas.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, but "little plot" is the key word.
Didn't matter much. Dead Fantasy was a jumping off point that led Monty to making RWBY.
Was Monty a good animator? Yeah, sure. But how has that translated to actual storytelling? Because it certainly isn't in RWBY, and as much as I hate to speak ill of the dead,
I don't deny this, nor you're the only person to point this out. The reason RWBY had so much staying power, resonated, or connected with a lot of people at the time was because of the fight scenes with their anime-inspired or DMC-inspired action, character designs, and those characters interactions with each other. After his unfortunate death, the writing team somewhat tried, but by Volume 6 and 7, they had no idea what they were doing and just going by the seat of their pants. The story got even worse, and even the writers gave up and RT doesn't care much because the companies still make money from merchandising.

It's to the point that most fans rather deal with fan fics or fan fic crossovers that bother to do something with characters that became wasted potential in the show, or were killed off too early or killed again after being brought back. Because at least those fics actually do something with the characters. Ruby herself has a great design and decent personality, but got little development and feels vanilla compared to the entire cast from what I hear. I've only watched Season 1of RWBY, and never bothered to keep up.

I honestly think him working on RvB was to its detriment. RvB started off as a comedy where even someone like Tex was barely competent, but under Monty, starting with season 7/8, we got hyper-action scenes, and season 9/10 spent much of its runtime showing Freelancers just mowing down grunts with over-the-top spectacle, bereft of any real narrative weight or gravitas.
I can't speak much for RvB, as I barely only saw the first two seasons. I never had much interests in the show afterward. I didn't know Monty was involved with later seasons.

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
The movie bombed because it was adapting part of the story that almost no one cared about, filled with character no one knew and they happen to all be orc, so not a lot of people were interested in the first place.
And your source for this is...?

I don't really buy this argument - there's countless film adaptations of obscure works that have been so successful that they've overshadowed the works they were based on (Space Oddyssey, Godfather, Die Hard, Rambo, etc.) And while the argument that humans and orcs may seem limiting, it's not too far removed from something like Lord of the Rings conceptually. Having stuff like night elves thrown in doesn't automatically make the work better.

I can speculate as to why the movie didn't do well, among which being the fact that it's average at best, but this is a film for a general audience. Your average Warcraft fan may be more familiar with WC3/WOW than WC1/2, but to the average filmgoer, that's a moot distinction.

Nobody read the manual of WC3 before starting it,
I did.

Okay, technically I played WC3 in an Internet cafe where I played some of the campaign and had no idea what was happening. After getting the game myself and the manual, things made a lot more sense.

the 1/2 story is almost completely irrelevant to the event of 3.
Not really. The status quo of 3 can't exist without 1 & 2 happening. It's certainly possible to jump into 3 without playing the earlier games (I'd actually reccomend that for newbies), but in terms of lore? You can't ignore the events of the First and Second War when discussing the Third. Without 1, you have no orcs on Azeroth, without 2, you have no Scourge, etc.

All you need to cover is that the demon send the orc over, but that's only relevant for Grom part of the story and can be covered in movie 2 (in like a 5 min scenes) so you don't need to start with exposition for the first movie.
You kind of need to cover a lot more than that. I mean, hypothetically, if I had to start with WC3, then I'd look at how Lord of the Rings handled things. In doing so, I'd have to cover:

-Emergence of the orcs, and the destruction of Stormwind (First War)
-The Second War
-The internment of the orcs, their rebellion, and the Alliance splintering

I can get away without referencing the events of Beyond the Dark Portal, but if you're jumping into the story this late, you need the context behind it. If your story is starting with a fractured Alliance, with orcs revolting against internment camps, and so on, you need to know how things got to that point. Maybe not immediately, but at some point in the story.

WC3 story can be easily adapted to a trilogy, I don't know where your getting 5 movie from, but honestly there's barely enough for 3.
Five movies for five campaigns. And yes, every one of that can cover a movie. You can cut out missions 3-5 of the Horde prequel campaign easily enough (certainly that's what the original release did), but apart from that?

The orc campaign doesn't have that much happening, it can be almost entirely covered in movie 2 (just save Grom/Mannaroth for the start of movie 3) along the undead campaign and starting to setup the NE. Movie 3 is Tyrande/Illidan, finishing with Archemon fight (honestly movie 3 is kinda empty, might need to save more of the orc campaign by covering more of the fluff stuff in movie 2, maybe ending with Grom killing the centaur dude).
You're coming up against the same problems I did. It's hard to mix and match these things, from campaigns that have a beginning, middle, and end, and shift protagonists.

Frankly, if you had to adapt WC3, you could just make it four films. Even if I agreed that little happened in the Horde campaign, you can fill stuff in by including stuff from Jaina's POV, since her forces are active in Kalimdor in the same period Thrall's are. But that's of course me agreeing that it's preferable to jump straight into WC3 from the start. The problem with adapting WC3 (for me) is that you're already adapting a strong story into a different medium. There's less 'return on investment' (storywise) from adapting WC3 than adapting the games prior to it. Whatever the flaws of the actual Warcraft film, it had far more character(s) than the game did for instance.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Just looking for some actual good dinosaur fun, without the tedious and horribly bad nostalgia bull crap. Plus, I just like seeing Adam Driver.
There's some straight to DVD movies around that might qualify. Often, Asylum mockbusters can be surprisingly decent. For Asylum Dinosaur action I'd recommend "The Land that Time Forgot", or "100 Million BC". "Triassic World" is Jurassic Park, but stuck in a small building instead of a park, and "Age of Dinosaurs" is that bit in the second Jurassic Park film where the dinosaur rampages through the city, but for the whole film. "Journey to the Center of the Earth" has some dinosaurs, but isn't very good.

Also, "Aztec Rex" (not by Asylum films) is about Cortez and some conquistadors in Mexico (filmed in Hawaii, of course), going to a lost valley where the locals (who reall aren't Mexican) co-exist with Tyrannosauruses. Which, ok, points for originality.

(May or may not have spend waaaaaaay too much time looking at whatever films are available on youtube)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There's some straight to DVD movies around that might qualify. Often, Asylum mockbusters can be surprisingly decent. For Asylum Dinosaur action I'd recommend "The Land that Time Forgot", or "100 Million BC". "Triassic World" is Jurassic Park, but stuck in a small building instead of a park, and "Age of Dinosaurs" is that bit in the second Jurassic Park film where the dinosaur rampages through the city, but for the whole film. "Journey to the Center of the Earth" has some dinosaurs, but isn't very good.
I appreciate the recommendation, but I'm good for now. I don't like most of Asylum's films, but I will take notice if I get the chance.

Also, "Aztec Rex" (not by Asylum films) is about Cortez and some conquistadors in Mexico (filmed in Hawaii, of course), going to a lost valley where the locals (who reall aren't Mexican) co-exist with Tyrannosauruses. Which, ok, points for originality.
🤔 Interesting.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Heee. They had a choice. Theres always a choice. I have to believe they'll explore the moral implications or theres not point in making this film.

Politics aside it looks heavily inspired from Sunshine which I absolutely adored for the visuals. Hopefully this will be nolans opus and not his eclipse.
Yeah, I do think it's highly unlikely any director who cares about their reputation would try to make a sincere pro-nuclear bomb film, even controversial mad directors. Otherwise it would be a historically monumental failure of 'reading the room', to be studied for decades after.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Hmmm, so Olivia Wilde makes a big fuss about getting the world's biggest pop star to make sexy sex with women in a film cause female pleasure doesn't get depicted well...ok. Not sure Harry Styles is the world's biggest pop star but ok.

Then it turns out that the film is about him imprisoning the woman in a virtual reality thing without her consent. Which sorta muddies the water more than a little.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Heee. They had a choice. Theres always a choice. I have to believe they'll explore the moral implications or theres not point in making this film.

Politics aside it looks heavily inspired from Sunshine which I absolutely adored for the visuals. Hopefully this will be nolans opus and not his eclipse.
I think it’s more along the lines of, what would our beloved gubment have done with those involved if they simply said at some point, “You know what? Fuck this.”