George Lucas Says He Sold Star Wars to "White Slavers" - Update

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
mysecondlife said:
Maybe he's upset that Disney ruined the balance he brought to the Star Wars franchise: 3 "good" and 3 awful films.
only reason those original 3 films were good is because his wife marcia lucas kept the stupid ideas in check otherwise they would of just been like the prequels. shes the real reason the movies are remembered for being good.

although even she couldnt stop him from cynically putting in ewoks purely for the merchandising opportunities... actually hes complaining about disney when he changed return purely to increase toy sales.. hypocrite

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Lucas said: "I'm just going to cause trouble, because they're not going to do what I want them to do.
So, they wouldn't make 98% of the film entirely infront of a greenscreen? Yeah...what jerks.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I actually have to agree with his general disappointment. Sure the prequels where bad movies, but they where memorably bad movies that will be remembered just as vividly as the originals where. Meanwhile Force Awakens isn't only a movie that was middle of the road and quite forgettable, it may end up having the same "good at release, bad after a while" [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNAy7yCMyBw] retroactive mentality we gave to Phantom Menace.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
I kinda empathize with him. It's easy to dismiss him as the guy who made the terrible prequels and sold Star Wars for A LOT OF MONEY, but he's also the guy who created one of the most beloved franchises in the entire world. People don't seem to realize the full extent and consequences of that. There's this guy, this old man now who started it all decades ago and it's still relevant and loved by so many to this day. When you look at all those characters and things that Star Wars spawned you have to remember that he is the reason for most of that. And now he can no longer be a part of his own creation. There is something profoundly sad about that.
But it wasn't his lone vision that made the original trilogy so great, it was the combined work, skills, and vision of many different people which made them so great.
That said I agree with you, while it's profoundly sad it's a tragedy he played no small part in creating, but honestly I just hope he moves on and works on something else that he enjoys, I'd watch it for sure.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I will always admire George Lucas for bringing us Star Wars, but he should accept the fact that the new movies he made sucked. And not only that, he insulted fans by making them ridiculous (Jar Jar), breaking with the old, beloved lore (Midi-Chlorians) and providing stupid and implausible plot elements (desert slave kid builds 3PO and flies a starfighter). And it was hard to shake the feeling that the movies were just the setup for an inevitable wave of toys and video games to follow.

It's not unusual for a creative mind to have it's great, shining moment, but eventually burn out. George should just face it that he simply doesn't have the vision anymore. And that yes, he fucked up. You don't take the Mona Lisa out of the museum to add eyeliner and red lipstick, even if you think she's more sexy like that.

It's in everyone's best interest that Star Wars is out of his hands. George will no longer be able to piss people off and make a fool of himself.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
NiPah said:
Adam Jensen said:
I kinda empathize with him. It's easy to dismiss him as the guy who made the terrible prequels and sold Star Wars for A LOT OF MONEY, but he's also the guy who created one of the most beloved franchises in the entire world. People don't seem to realize the full extent and consequences of that. There's this guy, this old man now who started it all decades ago and it's still relevant and loved by so many to this day. When you look at all those characters and things that Star Wars spawned you have to remember that he is the reason for most of that. And now he can no longer be a part of his own creation. There is something profoundly sad about that.
But it wasn't his lone vision that made the original trilogy so great, it was the combined work, skills, and vision of many different people which made them so great.
That said I agree with you, while it's profoundly sad it's a tragedy he played no small part in creating, but honestly I just hope he moves on and works on something else that he enjoys, I'd watch it for sure.
Exactly what I was going to say. Lucas may have been the original spark but the original Star Wars was a village, built by the collaborate effort of many people. Who, coincidentally, he kicked to the curb after the original trilogy run and hoarded the creative rights and directions all to himself. We saw what we get when it's all George when the Phantom Menace came out. Not to mention all the constant re-editing of the original trilogy that the almost universally fans hated.

I mean I don't mean to hate the guy here but yeah, I'm playing the worlds smallest violin for him right now. Sorry George but that this point you're the abusive father, Star Wars is far better off for everyone with Mickey the pimp.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Zontar said:
I actually have to agree with his general disappointment. Sure the prequels where bad movies, but they where memorably bad movies that will be remembered just as vividly as the originals where. Meanwhile Force Awakens isn't only a movie that was middle of the road and quite forgettable, it may end up having the same "good at release, bad after a while" [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNAy7yCMyBw] retroactive mentality we gave to Phantom Menace.
The Phantom Menace was only viewed bad after the release of ep2, it was then when people started to really criticize the prequels. They may of done it before, but not nearly as much (apart from moaning about Jar Jar)

It will be the same with the release of Ep8. if ep8 doesn't build on what TFA started it WILL fall flat.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
DAMMIT! I had this whole thing typed out, but because of this stupid video add in the bottom corner, I couldn't hit the captcha button and now it's all gone!

Short version: If you dislike Disney this much, Mr. Lucas, why did you sell to them? Everyone knows they have some mean business practices.
You said Darth Maul and Darth Talon are friends, despite them living over a century apart. That, and the complaints you have about the new movie, only reinforce my belief that was time for you to step aside.
I do agree about new ships though. I want to see new ships in the next movie, or at least the return of classic ones.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
Except it wasn't just him. When he was making the original trilogy, people had the balls to tell him "no". When he was making, by your own admission, the awful prequels, he had way more control over things. I mean for fucks sake he's gone on record saying Jar Jar, I'd arguably say one of the most hated characters in all of fictional movies, is his favorite character.

If you want to get even more into it, he left because people criticized him experimenting while in fact a lot of the criticism was simply leveled at things people didn't like, such as cheesy romance scenes taking up huge chunks of the movie run time, a character who's main attribute is fucking up, decentralized plots, too many politics and I could go on.

These are things that would be largely disliked if done in other movies as well. Consequently The Clone Wars experimented quite a bit and for the most part is widely liked.

So I can't say I feel much sympathy for Lucas in this case when he went into the creative industry and can't accept criticism.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Wow Georgie. I'm not to hip to the current kid's lingo, but I think you're "super salty".

"Waah Waah I loved these things so much and I worked oh so very hard on them. I also sold them" He says" But Disney are the bad guys, I mean, I sold them sure, but they BOUGHT them!"

Why stop at just white slavers, George? If you're going with incredibly pathetic insults, why not go whole horse? I would have at least went with "White Privileged Neo-Nazi Cishetero slaving rape apologist rebuplican gamergating jewish bro patriarch furries from the black lagoon"

Buckets

May 1, 2014
Pissed off about no control, he had total control over the prequels and look at the shitwich they became. At least Force Awakens felt like the original movies, even with the fan service.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Man, what does he want? He bitches about popular films, which he hates, but then he bitches about art house films, because they don't reach enough people. He talks about how he can't escape Star Wars, and then he talks about how it was taken away from him. He talks about how he wanted to make art house films for himself, but he's made one art house movie ever, and that's THX 1138, his first film. No one stopped Steven Spielberg from making both artistic and pop films, and no one stopped Francis Ford Coppola. He acts like Star Wars was an albatross around his neck, but in reality it gave him the freedom to make any film he wanted. And what did he make? Indiana Jones, Howard the Duck, the Prequel trilogy... all pulpy sci-fi films based on comic books and adventure serials. Some were good, and some were bad, but all of them were the product of Lucas's mind. He's been talking for decades about the stack of art films he wants to make, the real movies he wants to make, but he's never even tried to make any of them. I think he's scared to make his "serious" films because he knows, if he tries his best and fails, that people will realize he's full of shit. It's easier to write off Star Wars and Indiana Jones as fun movies where he wasn't really trying. Lucas is so full of contradictions that nothing makes sense any more. He's a failure in everything but finance, and now he's bitter.

Well, fuck 'em.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
same thing I said the first time I saw this news, copypasted:

Georgie boy, listen. you are a talentless hack who got lucky by stealing a story and setting it in a decent universe. then you spent the next 20 years doing everything you could to ruin it. Darth Icky? seriously? i've read about your intrusion into the attempts at creating all forms of star wars media, and you are the worst thing about star wars. JJ Abrahms has created a quality movie, something you haven't managed to do in 30 years. shut the hell up, hack.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
$4 Billion dollars and out of all the flavors on planet Earth you could have used that money to buy, you chose salty.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Paradoxrifts said:
Mickey Mouse isn't a white slaver. He's a pimp. [http://www.the-gutters.com/comic/453-christian-meesey/] There is a very clear distinction between the two.
You realize the term "white slavery" was once synonymous with prostitution, right? Given Lucas' age I would say he was calling them a pimp, just using hilariously outdated language.

But he can go fuck himself as far as I'm concerned, he wasn't really the reason the originals were so great, if he had his full way on everything The Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Starkiller would have been hilarious MST3K material instead of the biggest movie franchise of all time. The prequels and the extreme perversion of the original movies through the Enhance Editions just showed how hilariously bad his "vision" was.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I think that he is just bitter that The Force Awakens was a good movie, and his prequels just were not.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I am not a star wars fan, I don't see the appeal but honestly, I am glad Disney is doing something with the franchise!

From somebody who has done ZERO research about this, I feel like Lucas made the trilogy, made a load of merch (including other media), made the prequels, made a load of merch (including other media) and then forgot star wars existed, until about the old republic? (who did that Lucas or Disney?) Then Disney bought it all up and has PUMPED stuff out!

Star wars, to an outsider, was this huge thing and then it never existed (apart from "we want battlefront 3!", when we didn't know what it was), then the old republic came out and the mood seemed to be "oh, yeah, star wars is awesome!" but since then it's been building up and up! Now star wars is on everything!