George Lucas Says He Sold Star Wars to "White Slavers" - Update

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
I kinda empathize with him. It's easy to dismiss him as the guy who made the terrible prequels and sold Star Wars for A LOT OF MONEY, but he's also the guy who created one of the most beloved franchises in the entire world. People don't seem to realize the full extent and consequences of that. There's this guy, this old man now who started it all decades ago and it's still relevant and loved by so many to this day. When you look at all those characters and things that Star Wars spawned you have to remember that he is the reason for most of that. And now he can no longer be a part of his own creation. There is something profoundly sad about that.
As others have said, George Lucas may have come up with the idea for Star Wars, but it was not his sole creation in the end. It took lots and lots of people to make those movies.

On top of that, look back at everything related to Star Wars and notice a very blaring trend. The less that George Lucas had involved in a Star Wars product, the better it was.

Empire Strikes Back is widely considered the best of the Star Wars movies and it was the one that Lucas had the least involvement with.

Look at the animated stuff. Clone Wars is the absolute best thing to have come out of the prequels. While Lucas was involved it was kinda meh. As soon as he left production the shows quality skyrocketed. Rebels has 0 Lucas involvement and its amazeballs too.

Lucas may have come up with Star Wars, but if it weren't for the people around him they would have all been like the prequels. Meh to downright insulting.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
So he sold something into slavery and I'm now supposed to think that the salvers are horrible and not the one who sold it into it or what?
George get the fuck outa here you have become crazy.

Honestly I think he is bitter that basically all fans hate him now.
He was visionary back then when he made Indiana Jones and the original trilogy of Star Wars. If you have seen his interview back then he says for example that special effects should just enable the director etc. to make good stories and not be the main attraction.
A sensible position! - Completely missing in the prequel trilogy and the 4th Indiana Jones movie... congrats man you sold out!

Ylla

Jul 14, 2014
You know he did work pretty hard to make everything feel new.... Unfortunately everything else was crap.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
This coming from the creative "genius" of the prequel trilogy, not to mention running several potentially good games right into the ground. Guess he wishes he could have dubbed Kylo Ren "Darth Icky" since Starkiller managed to avoid it.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
George Lucas -chose- to sell the rights to Star Wars.

He also may have been part of the series back when it was first birthed and gave it quite a bit of good merrit, but he was also one of the biggest things dragging it down.

Once given more control, the series actually got outright worse. Easily as toy-mongering as even Disney.

Then Disney bought it from him, and now there's a chance that the movie might outsell the freaking Titanic.

And he's going to say that Disney are White Slavers?

I'm not sure if it's wrong of me to make this note, given that Lucas went there first, but as a dude who has a bit of reason to be offended by slavery on race alone (everyone should be offended by it on principle), I'm not sure if I should be upset or disappointed with Lucas on his rhetoric alone.

As one of the few people who hasn't seen the Force Unleashed yet, the fact that Lucas seems to hate it actually makes me -want- to see it more.

And I am entirely unsympathetic to his plight. I don't care how heartless I sound; you choose to sell it to them and let them have creative control. And now everyone knows you were a hack who needed a nanny during your first few good films. It's better this way. They seem to still be able to make/lead good films every now and then.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
IF his last Star Wars films hadn't been, you know, total crappy crap with a side of crap...
I MIGHT have cared what he thought.

If he hadn't been, personally, involved in the KILLING and RUINING of various Star Wars games...

If he hadn't been paid BILLIONS of dollars, while his employees got nothing or even fired...

But, nope, screw him and his views.
He knew what he was doing when he sold to the great satan that is disney.
So, yeah...his opinion is about as 'valuable' as a random Star Wars blogger.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I would chide Lucas here...but that would mean defending DISNEY, a gigantic multi-national conglomerate that has its fingers in every pie known to man. Which would be a problem. Plus the man isn't wrong; the biggest flaw of TFA is that it is pretty much a remake of the first film. I'll give Disney a slap on the wrist for that, but if episodes VIII and IX redo Empire and Jedi then Disney can go fuck themselves.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
Before selling: Hell yeah, id love a fuck ton of money for a franchise ive run into the ground.

After selling when a successful film comes out: Mah franchise is mah baby. Why cant I have control over it, waaaaaah.

Im not defending disney but dammit you knew this was going to happen when you sold it.

Gatlank

Aug 26, 2014
You sold them George and that wasn't the worst thing you did.

Paradoxrifts said:
Mickey Mouse isn't a white slaver. He's a pimp. [http://www.the-gutters.com/comic/453-christian-meesey/] There is a very clear distinction between the two.
And don't you dare go against him. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF4_4g1B2Ug]

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
If one actually looks at the actual creation of Star Wars one quickly realizes that George Lucas is little more than a credit grabbing do nothing hack that people somehow came to call the "Father of Star Wars" despite the fact he had very little to do with actually creating it. The vast majority of Lucas' ideas for the franchise were terrible and were outright replaced by far far more competent people that back then actually had the power to overrule him, and then he inserted a lot of those ideas in the prequels because he had complete creative control and we all know how that turned out. It's like me trying to take all the credit for creating a masterpiece painting because I was the one that bought the paint, but that's essentially what Lucas did and uninformed fans are doing with him.

Even if this wasn't true, Lucas sold the franchise and thus has no reason to complain about anything whoever he sold it to does. Me, I would rather Star Wars had entered the public domain instead, but that's just because I hate the idea of intellectual property rights being extended potentially forever, but if the IP had to go to anyone Disney was a good choice.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
He was getting across that Disney is an evil souless entity that will milk star wars to death.

And he's right, Disney plans a Star Wars movie every year now.

But it's his own fault for selling to them.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Paradoxrifts said:
Mickey Mouse isn't a white slaver. He's a pimp. [http://www.the-gutters.com/comic/453-christian-meesey/] There is a very clear distinction between the two.
I always thoughtful Disney being more like a workhouse like you see in Charles Dickens novels.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Yea he's gotta be a bit bummed that Disney made a better film than the three that he had total control over. I'm sure diving into his pool of money makes him feel a bit better though.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
What the hell? George Lucas literally sold out and now he has the gall to lecture other people on their artistic integrity? He has four billion reasons to shut his mouth.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Nurb said:
He was getting across that Disney is an evil souless entity that will milk star wars to death.

And he's right, Disney plans a Star Wars movie every year now.

But it's his own fault for selling to them.
The thing is, Disney has had an amazing track record with the Marvel franchise so far. If it weren't for that I'd be worried too.

Even if they come out with a movie every year, as long as they're, you know, different, I don't see a problem with it. They've already got a heist movie planned out (Rogue 1), a Han Solo movie (focusing more on his anti-hero days) and from what I recently saw, a Boba Fett movie (focusing on an antagonist). So long as they mix up the themes and concepts of each spin off movie to not make them rehashes of each other, I'm perfectly fine with it.

And before someone starts, yes TFA was a bit of a rehash of Hope and it is something I criticized it for. If they do that with the next movies it most definitely will become incredibly stale.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Not having seen the interview, but reading the context of it (disclosure and all that), I've got to say...I actually feel sympathy for George here.

"What?" I hear you ask. "How? George Lucas raped our childhood! George Lucas put out three films that weren't as good as the OT and have been reviled for over a decade! George Lucas even altered elements of the OT! How dare you have sympathy for this man?" Well, ignoring that I'm more partial to the PT than most (still rank Clones and Phantom at the bottom though), and I'm not aggrieved by the re-releases (not that I think Greedo shooting first or Vader shouting "no" are for the better, but I think plenty of things do improve it), I have to still admit that sympathy exists.

First of all, yes, he sold Star Wars willingly - no debates there. Second, the money was donated to charity, and while that doesn't have bearing on the conversation, I think that still deserves props. Third, there's also the fact that Lucas's original ideas weren't used. From what I can tell, he was involved as a creative consultant for TFA, but dropped out at some point during development. I don't know whether the original ideas were presented to Disney before or after the rights were sold. If after, then at best, he's been snubbed - nothing but a ego graze when Disney had full control. If presented before, then that's a bit more iffy - not that Disney was obliged to use them, but the term "gentlemen's agreement" comes to mind here. If such an understanding existed, and it's quite possible it did, then yes, one could feel snubbed. There's an analogy (admittedly flawed) for this in literature, where certain individuals come into ownership of their parents' work (Christopher Tolkein, Rhianna Pratchett, etc.), that while they have the rights to work with the material, the amount of their involvement in those cases has been restrained and respectful. On the other end of the spectrum you have Brian Herbert and his Dune novels - not read them, can't comment, but I've read plenty of vitriol from those who have, and I can understand their misgivings.

Fourth point, and it's perhaps the most basic of them all - jealousy/resentment/regret. Ignoring hyperbole on TFA (including my own), by the numbers, by every account I've seen, it's been a success, both finanically, and more importantly (in this case), critically. On Rotten Tomatoes, it's on par with A New Hope and Empire, and while it's fan ranking isn't as high (even below Jedi), 90% is still nothing to snuff at, and both critical and fan reviews are well above any prequel trilogy entry. While TFA ranks low on my Star Wars films list, by the numbers, I have to accept I'm in the minority.

So, there's George. By the numbers, the fact remains that Disney has made a better film than any of the prequels, and is on par with the OT, where he didn't have complete control. I think it's very natural to feel the emotions I mentioned above - I'm not saying that those emotions should be flouted (though by what I've read/seen above, I'd hardly call him 'flouting' those sentiments - he was already in an interview after all), but I think it's perfectly natural for those emotions to exist. As someone who writes as a hobby, I've certainly felt them - jealousy that by the numbers (reviews, favorites, etc.), the multi-chapters I put out are overshadowed by works that are much more successful. Course the fault lies with me there (or at least, one should never try to justify lack of success through external factors), but back to George, I can understand it, the feeling that no matter how hard you try, you're still overshadowed by better works, or at least, works that are deemed better by every metric available. Despite what people claim, I do think he gave it his all (or a good portion of it) in the prequels, and as far as I'm concerned, it paid off in Revenge. But the numbers have spoken, the fans have spoken, and while I think a lot of it's hyperbole, by all indications, people like TFA more than the prequels, Empire more than A New Hope, and have since acknowledged (probably correctly) that Lucas was part of the OT's success, but not the singularity of it.

So, with all that, yes, I do feel sympathy for Lucas, in this context.

But seriously George, Han shot first XD

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
I feel some sadness he's an old man he created all of it, yeah episode 1-3 were terrible, he needed some strong editor/less yes men. He's teary eye'd because he couldn't do what he wanted with them I am pleased he was more honest about the regret. Hell i'd be sad if i spent most of my adult life(bar the part where he quit filmmaking to raise his kids after his wife died) making star wars to give it away due to feeling old and maybe brow beaten by us the critical masses.

He sold it and tbh he is a visonary and I personally would've liked a little of his imput into these new and upcoming films but in the end we don't all get what we want at many points in our short lives.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
I'd also like to point out that part of the problem with 1-3 was that Lucas had to keep going back and rewriting the script because people weren't happy with what was written. And, the end result was that what we got in theaters. Whether or not that was for the better or for the worst, we will never know, but it also does paint a picture as to how things came to be.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I'm not saying it's bad to innovate, but when you're working on a well established franchise and start filling new movies with nonsense plots and characters (and worse still, have nobody but yes-men around you instead of some critical points of view), people are going to be pissed. I don't hate the prequels as much as some, but there's no denying that they are really off when compared with the original trilogy.

I'm not really blaming Lucas for this, a creative team should work as a team.