High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
The Austin said:
Amnestic said:
The Austin said:
Games don't kill people..... GUNS DO!

Just kidding.

Guns don't kill people either.
"The NRA say that 'Guns don't kill people - People do'. Well I think the gun helps, you know? Just going up to someone and going "Bang! Boom! Bang! Ratatata!" It's not gonna do much. You'd have to be pretty dodgy on the heart for that to kill anyone."

-Paraphrased from Eddie Izzard.
I actually don't know who that is.

But it's true. You would have to have a weak heart to die from that.
British comedian, an Action and Executive Transvestite, ran 43 marathons in 52 days, is thinking of becoming an MP/MEP.

He's very funny, in my opinion anyway.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
was there a yugioh card in there? it's hilarious that most of the stuff in there were not games, however.

LilGherkin

Aug 15, 2008
They should have bought empty game cases and thrown it in there to make it look more impressive.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Mildly surprised Anonymous didn't toss in a bunch of Battletoads [http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs31/f/2008/210/6/0/BATTLETOADSFORTHEWII_by_Swazzo_mk2.jpg] cases. Suppose they were too busy trolling Gamestop or doing nasty things on the 'chans.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
JARwing said:
Hey, Im from Germany guys...

I dont know how much you know about this "Killer Games" discussion but its a major theme for politicians and a reason for any kind of teenagers misbehaving. Like that kind of stuff.

But its fun: Gamers fighting for their right to play...against society :D
Well hopefully the politicians start seeing the trend of votes come next election, and start looking for the correct answer to the problem, and not a scapegoat answer like your country has a history of exploding into world issues. Repeating history is never a good idea. I'm glad for once people in Germany might actually be realizing that.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Canton said:

At around 0:36 I thought the kids ran away with the games. . .
That would have been hilarious if they had. Though what the cameraperson inside the dumpster was doing, I am unsure, besides looking for a more dramatic effect of the only two games thrown in the bin that day would make. And the one filming for the youtube achieved one thing, giving many people a crick in the neck watching that.

YurdleTheTurtle

Mar 23, 2009
Someone posted up some very nice background info on Kotaku's comment page:

Nethlem from Kotaku comments page said:
1. They don't use a swastika in their logo, the only thing they use is the trashcan and the guy throwing something in there.

2. The guy throwing trash in the trashcan is an image you see all over the place because it's used on public trashcans.

3. It didn't go well, in the end they had like 4 games. These 4 games beeing: GTA San Andreas (PS2), Def Jam Fight for New York (PS2), Small Soldiers (GameBoy) and a copy of the freeware game Open Arena.

Funny enough the two PS2 games still had their foil on them and price stickers which makes it likely that the advocacy group themselfs bought these games to throw them in.

It gets even funner: The mass media is reporting that at least two dozen people threw games away, with serveral copies of counter strike between them.

While gamers on the internet are sharing the truth, that beeing that only the 4 games you see in the video above have been in the container at the end of the "event". Funny enough these people from TV stations even staged throwing in scenes with kids (as seen on the youtube video in this post)

Serveral TV stations shot that same scene, with the same two kids and the same two games. Overall pretty embrassing event.. but that wouldn't stop them from calling it an "success" because after all it's the symbolic character that counts
The attached Youtube video can be found just above this post.

Basically, it was a failure, but the media is hyping it up for who-knows-why. I watched the Youtube video and it was clear they were staging the tossing of two games by kids.

The funny thing is, this was doomed to fail right from the start. The "true" anti-gamers would have never had any violent video games of their own to toss in to start with. Even then, as others have mentioned, it's kind of a waste of money.

Even if there was a large number of games tossed in, how long would they stay there? It wouldn't take long for people to dive in for what is essentially free games.

I really don't know what they were thinking with this event.

Lastly, this has a startling similarity to burning books. Really, this is not going to solve problems, just like in the past.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
Someone should jump in the dumpster and take the games back out, that's what I'd do

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
MA7743W said:
Well at least this shows most Germans aren't hysterical knee-jerk recationists.
yes,my faith is restored a little bit.

it´s always like those Fundamentalist, religious or not, they scream so loud to disguise their insignificance.

williebaz said:
Someone should jump in the dumpster and take the games back out, that's what I'd do
I guess everybody thought the same way, thus noboday gave awayy their games.
you it´s something like FREE BEER that sprung up in everybody minds.

so the question remains: was it greediness or insight leading to the failure of this event.

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
robert632 said:
was there a yugioh card in there? it's hilarious that most of the stuff in there were not games, however.
Its a Shivan Meteor card, one of the most powerful red burn cards in Magic the Gathering
that, or a mountain. hard to tell from the distance, MTG does like volcanos in its artwork

Socken

Jan 29, 2009
I hate my country...

EDIT: Not for the fact that noone threw his games away, but for the fact that such a rally fucking exists.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Epic fail, bunch of misguided fools they are. The problem with society is people like them. They set bad examples, burn something we don't like isn't the way.

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
I would have brought a ladder, gone into the bin and taken all the games (I didn't see any other way into the bin)