Germany embassy in Sudan stormed

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
Anyway, all of this is rather excessive over a film is it not?
And a non-existent/unspecified one at that. When Phillip de Franco (yes I watch his videos, no I'm not a tween girl) talked about the US raiding, someone tweeted to him (I don't have the exact tweet in front of me):

"How would you feel if someone overseas made a movie mocking your precious Jesus?"

Which is an interesting question, but is deemed moot once you realize that AMERICANS HAVE MADE MOVIES MOCKING JESUS.

OT: This is sad. All that's going to happen now is American Muslims getting hated because people who have the same skin color as them overseas are busy doing stupid violent shit. Damn, I hate extremists.

JeffBergGold

Aug 3, 2012
uberDoward said:
JeffBergGold said:
zehydra said:
Part of "freedom of speech" also guarantees that no physical harm will come to the speaker.
Since when? This is news to me. I'd really like you to site a reputable source for this one because I'm genuinely curious as to where this is stated in the amendment.
The Constitution of the United States of America said:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Punching someone in the face after they have said something you dislike very much abridges and prohibits that person's free speech.

Killing someone? Why yes, that, too, prohibits one's speech, oddly enough.
You have a source for that? The text you've referenced doesn't allude towards freedom of speech prohibiting people reacting to said speech.

You're perfectly within your rights to say whatever you want. People are also perfectly within their rights to react however they want. This isn't a difficult concept to grasp.

P.S. You won't find any such statement in the amendment. Because freedom of speech does not grant a person invulnerability. I'm sorry to be the one to bring this news to you.

It's kinda like elementary physics. "Every action has an equal or greater reaction." If no one has informed you speech is an action.

ToastiestZombie said:
The Great JT said:
I don't see a peaceful end to this scenario, shy of finding the guy responsible for the flick and expiditing him to the middle east to face judgement.
You do know that that will mean a very painful death for the guy? That community isn't going to simply let him off or give him a prison sentence. They will most likely kill the man, just like they murdered the embassy worker and more today. And someone should never be killed for making a film, no matter how offensive or hateful it is. It would also pretty much be giving into terrorists, saying that if they kill enough of our people they'll get the shit they want.
So are you implying that this idiots life is more valuable than:

The military personnel who are now in mortal danger due to his movie
The embassy personnel who are now in mortal danger due to his movie
The civilians who are now in mortal danger due to his movie
The property damage caused by his movie
The potential political unrest in countries caused by his movie

If you are I can assure you that the guy who made the movies life is not worth that much. I'd much rather save the lives of a few Marines and ambassadors than protect this idiot.

Animyr said:
That said, if any one side is in the wrong here I don't think it's the filmmakers, as onerous as they may be. A nonviolent insult, no matter how cheap (both literally and figuratively), does not warrant a violent response.
I'd label the movie as violent it all depends on how you quantify violence. Violence extends beyond physical manifestations, He created a violent movie and got a violent response. Violence is violence no matter how you slice it. I don't give physical violence more weight than any other violence.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Fappy said:
I just feel horrible for the innocent Muslims over there. Their entire religion and population is demonized due to the actions of some radicals. Do these radicals even understand that they are only making us hate their people more? It baffles me.
lol, this made me laugh. Are the people in angry, violent mobs the non-radicals, then? People are hateful thanks to the actions of radicals, and ignorant thought it might be, are expressing it via media, a peaceful approach, which is being met by protests, violence, and the exact sort of radical aggression in defense of their religious outlooks that creates the hate in the first place.

Good job, muslim world.

(disclaimer: I skimmed the articles, possible I may have serious misread what is going on)

JeffBergGold

Aug 3, 2012
Mortai Gravesend said:
JeffBergGold said:
You're perfectly within your rights to say whatever you want. People are also perfectly within their rights to react however they want. This isn't a difficult concept to grasp.
However they want? Not at all. For instance killing people isn't within their rights.
In their religion it is within their rights.

JeffBergGold

Aug 3, 2012
Mortai Gravesend said:
JeffBergGold said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
JeffBergGold said:
However they want? Not at all. For instance killing people isn't within their rights.
Not at all relevant to freedom of speech in the US. Obviously they lack freedom of speech in their religion.
Then it is a good thing this event isn't taking place in the United States isn't it!

JeffBergGold

Aug 3, 2012
Mortai Gravesend said:
JeffBergGold said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
JeffBergGold said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
JeffBergGold said:
Not at all relevant to freedom of speech in the US. Obviously they lack freedom of speech in their religion.
Then it is a good thing this event isn't taking place in the United States isn't it!
It's kind of sad that you just can't admit you were wrong and try to change contexts when the conversation was about the amendment right then.
I was holding that discussion with a different forum member. You seem to be under the impression that you're awarded serious discussion from me.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I always find it slightly amusing, but also a little sad, when extremist sects in those countries just fly into fits of rage at the drop of a hat. All credit to them, though. I'm sure they've dissuaded the filmmaker from doing it again, considering that the consequences for creating media in bad taste (merely an assumption, I've not seen the thing myself) is that they then proceed to burn and vandalize parts of their own country. That'll show him.

I feel sorry for all of the good people that get associated with them, though. It's a little bit like what western countries would be like if the majority of the religious population were followers of the Westboro Baptist Church. We'd all be made to look like intolerant dicks.

JeffBergGold

Aug 3, 2012
Mortai Gravesend said:
JeffBergGold said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
JeffBergGold said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
JeffBergGold said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
JeffBergGold said:
It's kind of sad that you just can't admit you were wrong and try to change contexts when the conversation was about the amendment right then.
I was holding that discussion with a different forum member. You seem to be under the impression that you're awarded serious discussion from me.
Yes, and I commented on your rather stupid statement. But of course, instead of being able to admit when you were wrong you hide behind a shield of saying you weren't serious. Man up.
What statement and by what metrics was it measured as stupid?

Mouse One

Jan 22, 2011
runic knight said:
As for the attacks being planned beforehand, that does add up. We don't know for sure, but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, as it makes sense in and of itself and the timing matches.
Completely agree. Keep in mind that a number of dictators (like Qaddafi) have just been ousted in that region, with tacit and not so tacit American support. The supporters of the old regimes are still around. But by using the shield of "We're defending Islam!", they can get their revenge on America while pretending to be a popular movement. I doubt (but wouldn't rule out) these elements were behind the actual production of the video. But they certainly saw an opportunity.

In Libya at least, America is viewed favorably by over half the population, according to a survey back in August: http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/08/libyans-now-like-america-slightly-more-than-do-canadians/261078/ Again, we helped get rid of Qaddafi, who was pretty much hated by the end of his reign (and life).

Bottom line, there are a lot of different factions in these countries. Tarring them all with the same brush is misguided.

JeffBergGold

Aug 3, 2012
Mortai Gravesend said:
JeffBergGold said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
JeffBergGold said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
JeffBergGold said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
JeffBergGold said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
JeffBergGold said:
Yes, and I commented on your rather stupid statement. But of course, instead of being able to admit when you were wrong you hide behind a shield of saying you weren't serious. Man up.
What statement and by what metrics was it measured as stupid?
"People are also perfectly within their rights to react however they want."

Obviously wrong in the context of the Constitution and amendments. Being obviously wrong is one of the easiest ways to determine a statement is stupid.
True, but I wasn't discussing the constitution or amendments with you. I was discussing the initial statement you presented which had no previous context. Unless you're under the misguided assumption that my discussion with another person carried over to my exchange with you.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
This is what happens when an entire culture goes on for thousands of years without being able to take a joke.