Germany Wants to Ban Paintball

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Skizle said:
isnt airsoft bigger than paintball in Europe? and if so is airsoft next?
The ban is on "all games in which players shoot at each other with pellets", so both paintball and airsoft are included.

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
MA7743W said:
Come to think of it, have you ever noticed how all of these gun nuts were born on days ending in a Y?
That letter is evil!
Not me! Ah was bern onna sunduh'!

scarbunny

Beware of geeks bearing gifs.
Aug 11, 2008
Dalisclock said:
Malygris said:
Germany Wants to Ban Paintball
Germany may still be a bit over-anxious about keeping a lid on some of its less-admirable national instincts - starting two world wars less than a half-century apart will have that effect - but how far can a government go in regulating fantasy before it topples over into outright paranoia?

Correction: Germany only started World War 2. They got scapegoated for World War 1 by the allies, even though pretty much all of Europe had a hand in starting that one.
I was thinking the same thing, the given reason for the start of WWI is the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria by a Bosnian-Serb nationalist, Gavrilo Princip which caused a cascade effect as several treaties came into effect forcing the hand of many nations.

Also it is likely that if it wasn't for the overly harsh reparations forced upon Germany then WWII would never have happened, as the Nazi party’s policies for economic reform would not have been so popular and they would never have been elected, so it could be argued that the League of Nations were responsible for WWII.

But then again why let a little thing like facts get in the way of a good tag line especially considering Germans are evil.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Wow, I used to be really into paintball, I can really sympathize with the people going to be affected by this. Seriously, are they going to ban nerf too? what about dodge ball? Are they making these rules based on their "intuition" or hard scientific facts? Because for something that affects millions of people, I don't really give a shit about some shrivelled politician's "intuition"

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
I personally think that the best thing would be to have regulated violence is schools. It would make potential victims of bullying able to defend themselves, and teach bullies and potentially violent people that violence is something which the person your fighting should agree too. As it stands, people who have a deep seated desire to be violent can only use video games for that, and end up degenerating in front of a computer because of it. If schools taught people to fight each other with fists, and not make physical violence so out of bounds, maybe people would just have a nice no one gets killed fist fight instead of bringing a gun to school.

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
Ahh yes, cuase all Germans are perfect in every way. And having gun crimes must be linked to violent video games, and not linked at all to Germanys' nationalist past. Cause for all we know, germany could start WW3 (some may think I am being completaly racist, but I am joking at heart.)But yer Seriously, Nazi Germany was started on revenge for there loss of WW1. how do we know that the German government is telling the whole truth and that all of these crimes are infacct some how linked to the dissapointment that Germany has felt, twice, within the past century. (if any Germans are reading this, I am currentaly studying Nazi germany so please think about what you are saying before you rant on about what I have just said.)

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
This just in: Germany outlaws all fun activities for young people
They do seem to take the violence issue way too seriously, with their already very negative view on gaming in general, and this seems to be going a bit too far. Is Laser Quest, or the equivalent banned there too yet? Seems the next likely victim if not.

edinflames

Dec 21, 2007
johnman said:
And when this makes no difference what will they ban next? Free thought so people cant think of killing another person?
What happened Germany, you use to be cool
Germany was never cool.

edinflames

Dec 21, 2007
galletea said:
This just in: Germany outlaws all fun activities for young people
They do seem to take the violence issue way too seriously, with their already very negative view on gaming in general, and this seems to be going a bit too far. Is Laser Quest, or the equivalent banned there too yet? Seems the next likely victim if not.
Ironic considering a German gamer flew to England so that he could murder the boyfriend of a girl gamer he stalked online.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8043887.stm

Seems the Germans take a lot of things too seriously.

Violent people will be violent, taking away paintball won't discourage lunatics from going on armed rampages. Not making armed psychos into 24-hour news stories will have a greater effect in discouraging future incidents - the more publicity they get the more some other alienated loser might thing "hey, there's a way to get famous".

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
As soon as I read the bolded text, I said, "Oh fuck this, I'm just going to say bullocks to that." How do you relate paintball to a school shooting and oh, hoo-bloody-ray, videogame violence makes another appearence as a reason for school shootings. UHG! I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE!

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
What I am concerned about, is if there are no more school shootings in Germany (which won't be because paintball and all other shooting related sports are banned), then the other EU countries might decide Germany is on the right path and follow suit. Which will only be stupid piled on more stupid, since it will only kill their economy and society even more.
Seriously, are they just taking the lazy approach and not taking measures to help these troubled children who get so desparate for attention and lose their meaning in life they have to take this approach?
I remember when I first used Basic Programming on my Commodore 64, and whenever I would get an error in line xx, I would just delete that line. (I was 9 or 10 at the time, ya go ahead and make the old age jokes!) That didn't help the program run any better, and most times killed it altogether. This philosophy the German government is following is the same approach. Why take the effort to examine the problem when we can just delete the troublesome error?

Omgsarge

May 11, 2009
Bigsmith said:
how do we know that the German government is telling the whole truth and that all of these crimes are infacct some how linked to the dissapointment that Germany has felt, twice, within the past century.
Indeed, young Germans are still furious that we lost WW2 and go on killing sprees in schools to get the attention of the world to this injustice. I thought it was because of a complicated childhood that somehow made them feel inadequate about themselfs, used various means to escape reality and started to think that everybody else is not fit for living. Silly me.
That's like saying American school shootings are because young Americans still feel burned because they fucked up in Vietnam or want to practice their wonderful American freedom.
Really people.
That law will probably not get passed anyway. Politicians come up with knee jerk reactions now because elections are around the corner. Seriously, don't pay any serious attention. It's the same Politician dribble as always.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
And nothing will change, then they'll ban something else, nothing changes, ban more, etc. They should really stop freaking out over something as rare as school shootings.

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
KDR_11k said:
And nothing will change, then they'll ban something else, nothing changes, ban more, etc. They should really stop freaking out over something as rare as school shootings.
School shooting are rare, you are correct. But its is just the paranoia the first world (europe and america and australia) contries have, I must admit here in england there doesn't seem to be a problem with video games. Infact the government seems to almost have a positive view on them, thats labour (current party) and the ones that are going to be kicking Gorden out this comming election.

Omgsarge said:
ed up in Vietnam or want to practice their wonderful American freedom.
Really people.
That law will probably not get passed anyway. Politicians come up with knee jerk reactions now because elections are around the corner. Seriously, don't pay any serious attention. It's the same Politician dribble as always.
I also agree with that, as a few months ago there was a shooting. Now it wasn't a seroius shooting but it was a shooting nether the less and never did i hear in the news that it was linked to video games and we do have a problem with crime in britain. I do have an odd feeling that is only seems to be the big gun killings that get the blame from video games but it does seem to be that only contries with an... untasteful past are the ones moaning or have done something about video games. Germany with this and Austraila, in the wonderful land of Oz games are rated soo tightly that most of the seroiusly gorey games (for exaple if a Saw game came out) are banned from the contry. I just hope it doesn't get to that extent here. Although, as Omgsarge said. "politicain dribble..." Aye, I agree. Lets just hope it stays that way.

Archaon6044

Oct 21, 2008
LoopyDood said:
Things like paintball and video games can be outlets for violent people. Taking away these from them could be a MISTAKE.
i agree with this. i'm getting more and more frustrated now taht i'm at uni, evben when the workload is light, because i don't have my weekly karate class anymore, to blow off some steam, and to go nuts for an hour and a half

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
"Well, what else did the we use in the 30's and 40's?"
"Right now, we've gotten rid of video-games that Nazis used for propaganda purposes..."
"Which were those?"
"All of them."
"Ah."
"We've gotten rid of books mentioning Nazis, if people don't read about them, it's like they never existed."
"You're right, but what videogames did Hitler play?"
"The shooters, obviously. The most violent games for the most evil man alive, you know. Himmler was into sims, so we had to ban those too."
"Are we going to ban the history books too, Klaus?"
"Absolutely. They're the most Nazi-riffic literature out there. From early 1930's to 1945, it's nothing but Hitler."
"But how else are people going to learn the mistakes of the past if we aren't exposed to-"
"Speaking of "exposed," you know those hookers we legalized?"
"...Yeah."
"Get rid of them too. Too many of them are blond, white, and blue-eyed for comfort. Same for strippers, they might give little kids erections and then no school is safe!"
"That seems a little extreme, but okay. What's left?"
"How did Nazis kill runaway Jews?"
"With whatever weaponry and man-"
"No! Paintguns. Those things hurt if you're close. You put little flashlights on top, and not a single escapee is safe."
"*sigh* Fine, but I really think that we've more than made up for..."
"If kids are having fun, they might be encouraged to be Nazis. We shall not allow more Nazis. If somebody is hurt by a paintgun, they might try to blame the Jews! Never!"
"Can we go home now, sir?"
"What else is a remnant of Nazism?"
"Nothing!"
"Jews! That's the problem!" They'll never lay off about it. Every time it's something about the Nazis or Hitler! We have to silence them somehow, or we'll never hear the end of it."
"Mein Fuhrer...?"