Get Deus Ex for a Dollar at Games for Windows Marketplace

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
If I didn't already own a first-run copy of the game, I think I'd still rather spend the extra 4 to 9 dollars on getting a disc and packaging for my money. I've often found Deus Ex in the $5 software bin at department stores.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
hansari said:
One author on The Escapist had a problem with GFWL and now so many of its readers are refusing to get it just based on that experience. Funny stuff.
To be fair, it's not the first time articles have been made about GfW failing, and it won't be the last.

Jun 11, 2008
GamesB2 said:
Glademaster said:
Well my thing is less to do with the actual Client(well the main one). It is a problem with the actual account side with parental control which shouldn't even be active given that I am 18. Basically to play ages ago you needed to be 18 to make an account(what a detereent that has been to people on XBL) and I had a friend be my guardian since I was not at home at the time. For some reason I couldn't add friends and they wouldn't believe in an email I was 18 to remove parental restrictions and the phone numbers provided are either not for country or no longer in service.
Yeah there are still age restrictions on games, you need to be 18 to purchase older rated games from the client.

It seems to generally work a bit better now... I have an under 18 account and I can still use most of GFWL features without problem.
Ah but see that's the problem I am 18 and have been for about 6 months. Yet the parental restrictions are still there. In fact I had to make a new account on GFWL just so I can accept and add people as friends. That is a dire failure in the workings of the system if you ask me.

Jul 22, 2009
Glademaster said:
Ah but see that's the problem I am 18 and have been for about 6 months. Yet the parental restrictions are still there. In fact I had to make a new account on GFWL just so I can accept and add people as friends. That is a dire failure in the workings of the system if you ask me.
Definitely so, try sending a report using the feedback button on the GFWL client (every little bit helps) and have you tried contacting Xbox support on Twitter?

As it's a Live profile they may be able to help.

Jun 11, 2008
GamesB2 said:
Glademaster said:
Definitely so, try sending a report using the feedback button on the GFWL client (every little bit helps) and have you tried contacting Xbox support on Twitter?

As it's a Live profile they may be able to help.
Well I sent an email to support and they said that I need to ring them. Although the numbers they gave me wouldn't work. I might try that but the only thing is I already have my new account settled and the friends are already on that. Thanks for the help anyway.

Chaossebba

Aug 11, 2008
To the people going OH NO GFWL - It doesnt need the client to run it. Get the marketplace thing, buy it, download it, close the damn client and run the game without any hitching.

And bam, now i have deus ex for 99c!

Jul 22, 2009
Glademaster said:
Well I sent an email to support and they said that I need to ring them. Although the numbers they gave me wouldn't work. I might try that but the only thing is I already have my new account settled and the friends are already on that. Thanks for the help anyway.
No problem, I want to see GFWL get better but that could still take some time... I send feedback if anything goes wrong and I tweet to Windows Gamer and GFWL on twitter a lot.

Hope it all works for you now!

Beastialman

Sep 9, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Yep, 80 MS points. Great deal.

EDIT: I love how so many people can't figure out GFWL, it really makes me feel like some sort of genius.
I can figure it out but it can't figure out how to tell the difference in space. I tried installing Age of Empire 3 on my laptop which had 6 gigs of space free. The game was under 3 gigs, yet it kept telling me I had no room for it.

Jul 22, 2009
Beastialman said:
I can figure it out but it can't figure out how to tell the difference in space. I tried installing Age of Empire 3 on my laptop which had 6 gigs of space free. The game was under 3 gigs, yet it kept telling me I had no room for it.
Maybe I'm thinking of something else... but sometimes programs you have (such as anti-virus, any kind of third party monitoring programs) will require a certain amount of space kept free.

It might not be that but 6GB is not much room for a PC/Laptop so who knows... have you tried running a defrag scan?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I don't care what kind of deals they post, I've bought 4 things off there and every one of them was a nightmare to get the site to even display them. Then it'd give me error messages and just wouldn't work at all. The best part was it was the only way to obtain the DLC at the time so I was "forced" to work through that awful interface. It isn't worth it in my mind just for the stress and work needed to get the damn thing.

THIS is why steam is as big as it is, it WORKS. You want a game? Quick and easy. GFWL it was nothing but a pain in the ass.

Edit: It's not even like GFWL is new and working out bugs, it's been around for a while now and has no excuse.

Beastialman

Sep 9, 2009
GamesB2 said:
Beastialman said:
Maybe I'm thinking of something else... but sometimes programs you have (such as anti-virus, any kind of third party monitoring programs) will require a certain amount of space kept free.

It might not be that but 6GB is not much room for a PC/Laptop so who knows... have you tried running a defrag scan?
It might be Avast, but the more annoying part is that I have my harddrive split up into two partitions. One had 24 gigs free when I tried to download it onto their. Wouldn't let me, I guess I'll try on my desktop.

dartanus

Lurker, Class IV
Apr 14, 2009
*shrugs* whilst GFWL is a bit of an unweildly client, and filled with problems such as having to download it rather than buy of the website if your anywhere but the states (I think) if they keep doing really cheap deals, i'll keep using them for it. even if the lack of a search function means you have to go through almost all there games to find what your after :(

Lord Honk

Mar 24, 2009
Again, haven't ever bought anything for MS points, and not planning to. Don't want to give them access to my credit card and don't want to buy me one of those prepaid cards from a retailer; if I only need 80 points, why should I have to buy 800?
Nah, with what's been going on with Marketplace, all in all it's not worth the effort.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
cursedseishi said:
Considering how much trouble 1 person had to make a 10 cent game work... haha... no thank you, I'd hate to see the kind of trouble a $1 game would bring. My computer would be out of commission for a week.
Given that I paid ten cents and had incredibly mild difficulty (similar to what Shamus had really), I'd say it was worth it given that I still spent perhaps 20 minutes on the problem. In exchange for 10 cents and 20 minutes, I got a game that would have easily cost me more in time and money elsewhere.

I mean, I don't know where Shamus lives but going to my local game store and back takes about an hour. That said, the experience was not pleasant and I'm only willing to overlook it because I was given something for very close to free anyhow.

Hell, what else was I going to do with that dime?

Iggy Rufflebar

Mar 26, 2008
I really don't understand how everyone is having such problems with games for windows live, i've never had a problem with it, other than for some reason it not downloading GTA4 to the correct location, no matter how many times I tell it too lol

Togusa09

Apr 4, 2010
Not quite tempting enough to make me try the store again after the problems I had with AOE III. Needs to be a cheap game I don't already own.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Not touching Windows services unless I need to. Not going to be tempted, even if it doesn't need the client active to play. Fuck 'em. It's been, what, a week or so since their failure with AOE 3 - maybe wait a little while before trying again...