Get Your First Look at Supergirl With This 6-Minute Teaser

murrayb67

Sep 3, 2014
CrazyBlaze said:
murrayb67 said:
I don't read DC, but people who do have said this is actually tonally faithful to the comics. Although, she's apparently going under the name Kara Danvers instead of Linda Danvers (comic alias) which should cause for some confusion when Captain Marvel comes out.
Kara was the original Supergirl who was killed off in Crisis on Infinite Earths (and later revived blah blah blah comics are weird things happened).

Linda Danvers was a new Supergirl introduced in the late 90s, fused with a Supergirl created by Lex Luthor, named Matrix, from an alternative universe, unfused, meet the Kara Supergirl, things happened and she was basically put on the shelf until a short appearance later on in another unrelated series and hasn't been heard from since. COMICS!
Ha, thanks!

Was that before or after Superboy Prime punched reality? That's pretty much when I gave up on DC.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
I actually quite like this...

Supergirls alter ego seems to work, she seems like a normal college graduate or person of a similar age doing a crap job for people she doesn't really like just to get a foot in the door. So like most graduates. She's a stereotypical girly girl. This also works.

I also like that the main issue the U.S. Army or whoever have with Supergirl helping them isn't that she's a woman, she's an extraterrestrial.

And finally, the boss lady could be a plastic straight out of mean girls, and I bloody love that film

Also, James (Jimmy) Olsen.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
murrayb67 said:
CrazyBlaze said:
murrayb67 said:
I don't read DC, but people who do have said this is actually tonally faithful to the comics. Although, she's apparently going under the name Kara Danvers instead of Linda Danvers (comic alias) which should cause for some confusion when Captain Marvel comes out.
Kara was the original Supergirl who was killed off in Crisis on Infinite Earths (and later revived blah blah blah comics are weird things happened).

Linda Danvers was a new Supergirl introduced in the late 90s, fused with a Supergirl created by Lex Luthor, named Matrix, from an alternative universe, unfused, meet the Kara Supergirl, things happened and she was basically put on the shelf until a short appearance later on in another unrelated series and hasn't been heard from since. COMICS!
Ha, thanks!

Was that before or after Superboy Prime punched reality? That's pretty much when I gave up on DC.
Before. That was Infinite Crisis. 2005ish I think off the top of my head.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
First Superman movie turns out really dark and gritty. Official voices declare humor to be out of bounds for DC projects in general.
People ***** and moan.

Supergirl series appears to reintroduce the concept of levity, completely in harmony with the source material's main character.
People ***** and moan. -__-

The internet really does know what it wants.
It wants things to complain about.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
This trailer made me cringe a lot. It's Not-Ugly Betty with superpowers. Also, I've seen cosplayers who look more convincing.

I don't know if that's how she was in the comics because I didn't read them, but I remember liking her character in the 90s Superman cartoon.

PH3NOmenon

Oct 23, 2009
I'm going to be just positive about this.

I liked it. The on-the-nose positive and fun way they're spooling this out is a breath of fresh air in superhero country. No dark and broody grim-ness.

If they don't overdo it, this just might be a very entertaining series to watch.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
Looks as though she is interested in actually saving people, so it is a step up from Man of Steel. But overall I thought the preview was hit and miss. Maybe with an actual arc it'll seem less inconsistent in tone.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This looks fine.

At least it's having a bit of fun with itself. There also doesn't seem to be the usual secret identity angle, everyone just knows who she is and is fine with it. So none of that 'the love interest is in love with the alter ego, but not the secret identity'.

It does seem to go for more of a specifically female audience, which I don't know if this is seen as a good or a bad or a sexist thing. Or if me saying that it seems to be targeted specifically toward women is sexist. These days I can't really be sure anymore. It just looks like they're going for that Ally McBeal type atmosphere, and for a character like Supergirl I think that's a nice fit.

That lesbian joke was a groaner though. Hollywood really needs to put that joke to bed. In every comedy where a character is about to make a big revalation about themselves there's always the frikking gay misunderstanding shtick. Looks like it's just a one-off, but still, knock that shit off.

They'll also have to dance around the fact why the hell Superman isn't around. You'd think Kara would want get in contact with her only blood relative.

Anyway, it looks like harmless fun.

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
Sonicron said:
First Superman movie turns out really dark and gritty. Official voices declare humor to be out of bounds for DC projects in general.
People ***** and moan.

Supergirl series appears to reintroduce the concept of levity, completely in harmony with the source material's main character.

http://m.hitfix.com/motion-captured/why-dcs-serious-superman-may-give-marvel-the-big-screen-edge

No jokes is only in reference to the cinematic universe. It's been said numerous times that tv shows have carte blanch over whatever tone they want to set or what they want do because none of them tie into the cinematic universe.

OT: this teaser isn't meant for me. I cringed pretty hard throughout.

b.w.irenicus

Apr 16, 2013
Sonicron said:
People ***** and moan.

Or if you actually cannot understand that the internet as a unified voice does not exist and instead consists of millions of people with millions of opinions, the blame might be on you.
It's really simple: You cannot satisfy everyone, so naturally there will always be poeple who do not like certain things. Really no reason to make a fuss about.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
God that costume looks bad. The Skirt...
Superman is a rather boring hero, I don't think Supergirl will be any different. Well, good luck with that.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
b.w.irenicus said:
Or if you actually cannot understand that the internet as a unified voice does not exist and instead consists of millions of people with millions of opinions, the blame might be on you.
It's really simple: You cannot satisfy everyone, so naturally there will always be poeple who do not like certain things. Really no reason to make a fuss about.
A valid point, and one I very much understand - I've been hanging out here far too long for me not to. However, even just skimming the surface of most posts in any given thread like this one indicates to me that the naysayers are very much a vocal majority (if not an actual one), and it gets irksome.

Mind you, more positive voices on this thing seem to be coming out of the woodwork, so maybe I'll get proven wrong for a change. A refreshing thought.

circularlogic88 said:
http://m.hitfix.com/motion-captured/why-dcs-serious-superman-may-give-marvel-the-big-screen-edge

No jokes is only in reference to the cinematic universe. It's been said numerous times that tv shows have carte blanch over whatever tone they want to set or what they want do because none of them tie into the cinematic universe.

... Say what?? None of the tie into the cinematic universe??
We see snippets of Superman in this teaser, and he keeps getting name-dropped all over the place. Well... referenced, at least. Even the family crest explanation from the movie is reiterated. It's all fairly unavoidable given the source material, of course, but that doesn't change the facts.
If they still stand by what they said (as printed in the source you provided) then the direction they're taking Supergirl in is a massive cop-out at the very least. 'Separate from the movie-verse' my voluminous buttocks!

vid87

May 17, 2010
I don't hate it - I think it's a smart move to distance itself from the dour MOS and move towards the well-received Flash - but damn it's an interesting contrast watching it with the sound off first and just seeing the basics of a young woman coming into her own as a hero. But then there's actually *hearing* the lamp-shading, forced self-justification ("We're calling her "Girl", stop hating, you people who have legitimate concern for why grown men aren't called "Boy"), pop soundtrack, and bafflingly casual dismissal and subjugation of a woman WHO STOPS A PLANE FROM CRASHING. Seriously, her boss knows she can literally snap her in two and she's still talking down to her? Army-guy doesn't trust aliens but leaves a publically exposed super-being to do whatever instead of helping? Again, the tone in itself is not a bad thing, but I'm seeing potential for a lot of plot-holes and grating self-aware dialogue that, even if it's well-received just by its concept, is going to make it difficult to watch.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
If it gets the arrow/flash treatment it should be pretty good, the trailer makes it look like some sort of hannah montana kind of shite, hopefully that is the not the direction it will head for the series.
Only time will tell...

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Sonicron said:
circularlogic88 said:

... Say what?? None of the tie into the cinematic universe??
We see snippets of Superman in this teaser, and he keeps getting name-dropped all over the place. Well... referenced, at least. Even the family crest explanation from the movie is reiterated. It's all fairly unavoidable given the source material, of course, but that doesn't change the facts.
If they still stand by what they said (as printed in the source you provided) then the direction they're taking Supergirl in is a massive cop-out at the very least. 'Separate from the movie-verse' my voluminous buttocks!
Your voluminous buttocks aside (FYI your avatar is one of my favourites around here :p ) - there have been talks about having Supergirl join the Arrow/Flash-verse. Which I'd be all for, considering Arrow seems to have stolen my TV viewing time and refuses to give it back...

(Of course, that would also suggest that Superman is somewhere in the Arrow/Flash-verse, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about that.)

OT: "Oh, come on!" sold it for me. I am definitely watching this when it becomes available :)

Pax Romana

Apr 13, 2015
Steven Bogos said:
The reaction among the internet has been mixed, with many irate fans comparing it to Saturday Night Live's intentionally sexist Black Widow parody [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_5KgpN38hM], while others applauding the decision to make a show focused entirely on a female superhero.
Twitter keyboard warriors on to moan about sexism everywhere? With so many tirelessly ''battling'' to get more female leads? Never, I just can't believe it's true !!

Anyway looks cheesy as fuck and dull, won't be watching. I expect it will be a critical and commercial failure.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
The tone of that thing is all over the place. Over all I think it's gonna blow.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
CrazyBlaze said:
That was just eurgh. Why do they keep hinting at Superman the entire time, its distracting and takes away from Kara's spotlight I feel. The tone jumps around but I will wait until the show because they may just want to showcasing a wide variety of things. It also feels like they are taking every single female comedy trope in the book and we will wait to see how it turns out. That being said I am not the target audience with this, females are. So if I don't enjoy this series but women do, then there is no issue.

That lesbian line though. Really. I really hope that character ends up being a total sleeze ball later and not just some lame ass trying to get out of the 'friend zone'.

That's the future Toyman so yeah.