Girl gamers and their boy issues.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Aris Khandr said:
Could be worse. Could be a girl gamer who is also into girls. Much smaller pool than either gender of straight gamers has to deal with.
I know one.
It's very unfortunate for her. She has feelings for a straight girl that's in a relationship, and thinking about it always makes her sad.

OP: I've met a few gamer girls, unfortunately they're definately not for me since they spend all their time in the RPG spectrum, specifically WoW. The only other one I met was one that only plays her N64...and she has never played Ocarina of Time. She didn't know the 3DS version was a remake...

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
I think anyone taking the fact that you're a gamer as a big negative trait is not someone worth being with in the first place. There are plenty of other perfectly datable humans. I wonder if anyone has used the "Plenty of other fish in the sea" phrase in a sushi restaurant. That would be hilarious.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
GraveeKing said:
This is why I look about online to find people, chances are they'll have similar interests!
For me, all that ever led to is falling for girls that live on the other side of the globe.

I know plenty of gamer girls, but the ones that aren't taken simply live too far away. And from the 2 girls that weren't weirded out by my hobbies (at least at first glance) one was taken and one was an absolute loon.

Bottom-line: I have no idea how to find girls that would find me interesting around me. Honestly I don't expect to be out-nerded or something, but just someone who doesn't slowly back off and calls me a weirdo under my breath, someone who would want me to learn her more about the games I play or/and the (comic) books I read. Just someone who wants to be a part of my life.

arsenicCatnip said:
(Also, I'm usually the one saying the lines in the first panel. Damn it, 2Fort is NOT a frag map! Cap the intel!)
Y'know, in the 3 years I'm playing TF2 I might have seen 2Fort played as a sniping-frag map maybe twice or something.

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
I'm a guy, and was mostly unaware that this could be a problem for some people. A large amount of gamers are male, and there are bound to be quite a few in your neighborhood. I don't know any females in my school that play video games, really, but maybe that's because I don't talk to people much. If anything, that girl that said she was getting a 360 because her boyfriend convinced her to get one to play Black Ops might count. Though when I overheard that, I slammed my face into the desk. This was when Black Ops was released and nobody would shut the fuck up about it.

Nopraptor

Jun 18, 2010
I am one half of a gaming couple so yay for me! I have never actually had a problem finding other gamers, oppisite sex or same sex....

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
This thread is pretty damn depressing. I figure everyone will find someone eventually, but you could try some geek dating site if life's really got you down.

Either way, I don't know where you live or what your circle of friends is like, but girl-gamers are very popular among the kids in my hometown.

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
Why do people think we have to identify ourselves as 'gamers'?

If you really can't find anything else to talk about apart from games, it's not surprising people back off. Because that's pretty sad. You have to know who you're talking too, what are they interested in?

Getting into a random conversation and talking about games as if they're your only interest is obviously going to put them off.

Fuck, I love me some game fun, but if you really had nothing else to talk about. I'd be bored too.

Try broadening your interests a little.

You can't go wrong with books and films. Maybe a smidge of philosophy or pop science. Current affairs, politics.

Fuck, you can even scrape the bottom of the barrel and talk about celebrities... but that's not something I've been forced to resort too.

Picking up a paper now n then doesn't hurt you. And you'll have a lot more to talk about next time you're trying to chat up a non-gamer.

Know your target.
I identify as a gamer because that is where my main interests lie. I'm not completely focused on that (I am also an avid reader, singer, and a barista by trade), but gamer seems to fit me the best.

I'd be willing to assume that most of the 'gamers' around here have more than just one interest. The label just seems to stick to anyone who likes games (and this counts for tabletop RPGs and board games too).

Sicram

Mar 17, 2010
I probably sound like a major douche but I'm a bit glad that not only guys has this problem :V (sorry), makes me feel less hopeless.

And why does it seem that every nice gamegirl is living anywhere else but in my vicinity? WHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHY

Good luck in your endeavors though! Also, I know a couple who've met over TF2. They met by killing eachother a whole bunch of times... which must sound whacked out for non gaming people :V

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Racecarlock said:
I think anyone taking the fact that you're a gamer as a big negative trait is not someone worth being with in the first place.
Hear, hear.

There are plenty of other perfectly datable humans. I wonder if anyone has used the "Plenty of other fish in the sea" phrase in a sushi restaurant. That would be hilarious.
Indeed it would.

To the OP: My suggestion is to take a small step outside of your usual stamping grounds, and look for gamers with whom you're compatible. (Or just read game books in public, which is how I met my husband.)

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Wereraccoon said:
So yeah. I noticed there are bizarrely many topics about gamers(male) having problems with getting girls.

Just wanted to say it's not all that easy for girls either. (sadly)
I'm a gamer girl.. And yeah for me that hasn't worked out at all. Maybe it's just the lack of male gamers in my environment. But I wonder if more girls have been experiencing this problem.

For instance you're at a party talking to a nice guy... And realize you've ended up talking about Mass Effect. And the guy is like: Riiiiight... *backs off*
It's funny how non gaming guys are just as freaked out as girls... Oh well. Just curious after thoughts, and if more girls have experienced this problem.
I would just like to mention, as a male, when I do find a gamer girl, she's usually taken. Video games have been my hobby my entire life and it's something I tend to talk about a lot with the people I know who also play video games. I've slipped up a lot and have made game references that people like you or I would get for jokes, anecdotes etc. I get weird looks from woman sometimes and I always have to explain .... >.>

Blizzarded Soul

Jan 27, 2010
lithium.jelly said:
Oh, I wish I could find a girl I could discuss Mass Effect with!
This. Im a male gamer and metalhead, thus I find it extremely difficult to find a girl who will talk to me full stop. Most of the girls who live in my area of England are preppy and artificial so I pretty much get looked down upon because im wearing combats or black jeans coupled with a band t-shirt. Just pisses me off because they don't get to know me. It would be a dream come true if I could find a girl who would talk about Mass Effect with me, hell any kind of game. Sadly stigma in our society is a real ***** to anyone even remotely different.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Another one who has your issues. I talked about it with a language partner.
He asked what I liked to do as a hobby. I said, play video games.
I got the "Okay, nerd alert" look.

And he was cute! and Funny! 'sigh'

Where are the gamerguys that act like normal people? They don't live anywhere near me.

nitat

Apr 10, 2010
I don't mean that you are like this but I find it fitting for this thread (scaring away guys and all).

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
I'm going to be that guy and say that while it may be hard for you at times, it's harder for us ALL the time.

Zyntoxic

May 9, 2011
I find these assumptions wierd that if said partner play games you are gonna get along just fine because of that and have a "common interest". I have as can be labeled a "gamer boyfriend", there is a certain problem though because we have completely different tastes in games.

He is the fanboy-king of fanboys when it comes to blizzard, i.e. if blizzard made it it is automatically awesome.... - . - other than that he likes RTS games.
I can play the occational RTS and I have had my share of days in azeroth but in general I think that these games are boring beyond all measures.

I like the FPS genre, Quake, Unreal, Bioshock, among others, and then can go pretty fan-girlish over anything Bioware has ever made and over all love western RPGs.
While he on the other hand pretty much despises any thing with an FPS genre lable and a game without a multiplayer mode (most RPGs) is not worth his time.

Point is that the only real thing we have "in common" when it comes to games is the tool we use to entertain our selves, the computer. Kind of like two people saying "I like sport" but what it really means is that the first one likes basketball and the other one likes golf, but both of them can whatch their sport at the TV.