GLaDOS and TF2's Sniper Support GaymerCon

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
surg3n said:
itsthesheppy said:
surg3n said:
Maybe, your average straight white dude is sick to fucking death of walking on eggshells, in fear of offending feminists, fat people, gay people, people in general, skinny people, butt-hurt people, people with heirlips, retards, pigmy's, people with no skin.... anyone left out?, anyone feeling butthurt because I didn't include them in this rediculous rant?
I agree. Taking time out of my life to think about the feelings of others is exhausting. Why can't everyone just be like me, and be born into an easy life of privilege, and enjoy my humor at their expense? I mean geeze, get over it. Your struggles are just a joke to me and if you don't get it, that's your problem, not mine.

So I say, Amen, brother. Who's standing up for the callous jerks of the world? Who's standing up to defend my right to be an intolerable asshole to everyone I meet? It's not my fault I was born into leisure and comfort and everyone else's problems are hilarious to me. They just need to have a more sophisticated sense of humor. I am so tired of people expecting me to be nice and caring. Eugh. Like I have the time!

Who's thinking about the rights of us straight white guys? I mean, we have problems too: We have to share the world with people who aren't like us.

High five brudda.
LOL!

See, your assumption right there is that I have a reason to consider other peoples feelings, you assume that I'm an intolerable asshole.

I have plenty of gay friends, and you know what! - I never offended any of them, ever. You know why? - because I don't target peoples issues and use them against them, I don't have a problem with anyone. You see me as some douchebag hipster god-knows-what, and you couldn't be further from the truth - what does that say about you?

At what point did I say it's ok to be a callous jerk?, intolerable asshole?, but that must be the case because I don't think gays should have a gaming convention. Let me re-iterate - I don't think gays NEED a gaming convention. The sort of people who would harass someone because of their sexual orientation, are not the sort of people who even go to gaming conventions! - and if they did, they just wouldn't have the stones to actually harass someone in real life. Calling someone a fag in a videogame is a generic insult directed at their gaming skill, is that not obvious to everyone?, are gay gamers gonna be continually harassed by kids, maybe if they stepped up their game, it wouldn't be an issue :D. Being gay, is not a disease - non-gay gay fans don't realise, but actually gay people tend to be ok at talking about being gay, they tend to be honest about it, people have no ill intent shouldn't feel awkward about talking to gay people about their issues, but that certainly isn't the case, is it?

To sum things up - I'm against any kind of segregation, it's not a good thing - if there are issues with integration, then segregation is not the answer. I know, everyone is welcome to Gaymercon blah blah blah, but that's kinda like being invited to a vegetarian barbeque.
(Ohh, poor veggies, now he's having a go at them!)
I don't need to respond to this, do I guys? Can I just sit here and eat popcorn and just bask in it? He even used the 'I have gay friends so everything I say is legit' argument. It's maybe the purest condensation of everything that's wrong with the gamer community just squeezed into one post. It's like... almost perfect. I couldn't type up something half as ridiculous if I wanted to.

Right, yeah, I'm just gonna let this one do the work for me. Shine on, you crazy diamond.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
PiCroft said:
The best way to achieve equality is for anyone not straight and white is to basically pretend to be straight and white.

Does it help you maintain your persecution complex to imagine gay people start and end every sentence with "I'm gay"?
No, the best way to achieve equality is for everyone to shut the fuck up and get on with the game. If your gay, then that's awesome, I hope you're happy, but it has nothing to do with videogames, I don't need to know anything about you that isn't related to the game, I don't care. Aren't most gamers in the same frame of mind? - save the insults for in-game stupidity, keep the chit-chat relevant to the game, because all the other crap is irrelevant.

PiCroft

He who waits behind the wall
Mar 12, 2009
surg3n said:
PiCroft said:
The best way to achieve equality is for anyone not straight and white is to basically pretend to be straight and white.

Does it help you maintain your persecution complex to imagine gay people start and end every sentence with "I'm gay"?
No, the best way to achieve equality is for everyone to shut the fuck up and get on with the game. If your gay, then that's awesome, I hope you're happy, but it has nothing to do with videogames, I don't need to know anything about you that isn't related to the game, I don't care. Aren't most gamers in the same frame of mind? - save the insults for in-game stupidity, keep the chit-chat relevant to the game, because all the other crap is irrelevant.
Are you saying the reason gay people get harassed is because you think they barge into every discussion and bring up their sexuality?

And yeah,"I have gay friends so I'm totally able to speak on their behalf on this guys!" is so asinine I'm not even going to continue this discussion.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
PiCroft said:
surg3n said:
PiCroft said:

Are you saying the reason gay people get harassed is because you think they barge into every discussion and bring up their sexuality?

And yeah,"I have gay friends so I'm totally able to speak on their behalf on this guys!" is so asinine I'm not even going to continue this discussion.
Why not read my post instead of asking me what I'm saying?

Answer me this - HOW DO PEOPLE KNOW THAT THEY ARE GAY?

How is being gay, even a factor in a videogame. People call other players gay all the time, but that tends not to have any relevance at all, because they say it to everyone. When a gay person defends themselves, they are basically opening the floodgates. It would be far better if they just ignored the idiots, hell, unplug the damn microphone. I know that sounds horrible, but if you don't like the constant insults, don't use a mic - you won't hear them, they won't be directed at you - you'll just be a gamer with no mic, anonymous. It's not a matter of hiding yourself or censoring yourself - it's a matter of enjoying what you came to the computer for in the first place, playing the game with no harassment.

Edit: Yes that sounds like you have to pretend to be a straight white dude - but it's not, it's about being a gamer, when you do this, you aren't anything - you could be anybody, any sexuality, any orientation, nationality, anything, it's taking away the negative players ammo.

Also, I mentioned that I have gay friends because I was being accused of being some homophobic a-hole, and thought it was worth mentioning that I don't offend them with my viewpoints. I guess that's the worst thing ever ehh?, having real life experience and opinions and the bollocks to actually tell it.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
piinyouri said:
As a gay person, I think this is stupid.

"Treat us as equals while we do things that separate us into 'us and them'.

Parades in my mind are bad for this same reason.
I thought I'd re-iterate this point because it's very relevant IMO. Could I ask you to go into more detail about your thoughts on this, and your thoughts on online harassment.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Why are people arguing about this? If they want their own convention, and have enough people to support them, then let them have their fun. I don't see anything wrong with this.

Nov 28, 2007
surg3n said:
PiCroft said:
surg3n said:
PiCroft said:

How is being gay, even a factor in a videogame. People call other players gay all the time, but that tends not to have any relevance at all, because they say it to everyone. When a gay person defends themselves, they are basically opening the floodgates. It would be far better if they just ignored the idiots, hell, unplug the damn microphone. I know that sounds horrible, but if you don't like the constant insults, don't use a mic - you won't hear them, they won't be directed at you - you'll just be a gamer with no mic, anonymous. It's not a matter of hiding yourself or censoring yourself - it's a matter of enjoying what you came to the computer for in the first place, playing the game with no harassment.
How dare those gay people deign to play games like the rest of us do, and defend themselves when their sexual preferences are used as an insult? It's almost like they think they should be respected or something!

You can say "it's all right, because everyone else is called "gay" during a game". Do you really not see a problem with that being the go-to insult?

surg3n

May 16, 2011
thebobmaster said:
surg3n said:
PiCroft said:
surg3n said:
PiCroft said:

How dare those gay people deign to play games like the rest of us do, and defend themselves when their sexual preferences are used as an insult? It's almost like they think they should be respected or something!

You can say "it's all right, because everyone else is called "gay" during a game". Do you really not see a problem with that being the go-to insult?
That's a problem that can't effectively be solved, it can only be ignored, not excused. Having a gay-centric convention is no solution, if anything, it gives them more ammo. y point is that being called a 'fag' in an online game tends not to be about sexuality, it's about insulting people, and if it works, then people will keep doing it. You have to question someones intellect when calling someone a 'fag' is the best insult they can think of - I just think that it needs to be less effective, and for that to happen it has to be taken less seriously.

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
As a bisexual I personally don't see the point in this.

What is wrong with the conventions that already exist?

Why do we need to keep slapping labels on people like some guy working the discount section at a supermarket?

People are Gay, Lesbian and Bi yes, but we don't need to go around calling them Gaymers or provide additional cons when the already existing ones are fine.

We don't need a con for them, we don't need a bright and colourful flag to say that this community supports this aforementioned community (which is what this'll be).

Yes I know that anyone is welcome to the con, and this is what supports my statement of 'what is the point' because everyone is welcome to any con.

And I can't be the only one to not think like this, because if I was they'd have the money on kick starter by now.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
This seems ridiculously counter-intuitive.

First off, gaming conventions should be about gaming. Everyone should feel free to attend, regardless of race or sexual orientation, because its about the gaming. In fact in a standard gaming convention, I imagine many many members of the LGBT community attend and have a fine time. Because they're people. They go there as gamers, and have fun as gamers. Because a gaming convention is not about sexual orientation.

If anything making a convention that is named and promoted this way is just begging for trouble. You're taking video games and LGBT issues. Some of America's top issues for attracting negative press and ridiculous extremists of the anti variety, and you're sticking them together. Seems like you're trying as hard as possible to make an event which will call the focus of bigots and assholes.

I have no problem with awareness for LGBT community, or people's sexual orientation, but I gotta say, if I were gay, I would skip this. Because its inviting the exact type of situation you're trying to promote awareness of to avoid. Its a hostile situation in the making.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
A tricky issue, but as a bi guy myself I'm indifferent. So, what's the point?

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
While I'm all for making people feel accepted, I don't know if this is the best way of doing it. Maybe if they re-branded this "acceptance con" maybe it would give a better message. Because right now it seems more of a segregation thing, and I don't equate that with equality.

WashAran

Jun 28, 2012
How is this an issue? Aren't homosexuels normal people?

When I was at GamesCon in 2010, I meet a guy who was a homosexual, nobody haressed him, nobody cared!

Jameseh

Rejected from society.
Mar 20, 2009
Seems somewhat hypocritical to self-segregate yourselves when at the same time other LGBT people are campaigning to be treated just like everyone else.

Also the 'queer' tag on the article is excessive.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
"Gay rights is a good job, mate. Challenging work, outdoors, garuntee you'll never go ingnored. Because at the end of the day, as long as there are two people left in the world, someone has a 25% chance of being homosexual."

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
I'm not really opposed to this, I mean it's their money so they can spend it however they want. In my opinion a con should simply be a place where anyone can go and enjoy themselves among others who share their passion for the medium/genre the con is dedicated to that's more focused on the medium/genre than it is the identity of attendees, but again they can do what they want and I'm certainly not going to stop someone who wants to go.

What I'm curious about is how the con is going to ensure that it's safe? I mean, the assumption is that this is of course going to be a place where anyone in the LGBT community can go and not fear harassment (does this happen often at cons? I've only been to Fan Expo and didn't notice anything bad going on), but how do the organizers ensure that? I mean you would think the name alone of GaymerCon would attract the homophobes to come just for, pardon the term, "open season". I suppose the dumb homophobe would give themselves away before even going in, so that wouldn't be a problem, but the smart ones could easily wait till they're inside and then start targeting. Not a complaint against the con, just curious as to what measures are being developed to ensure safety.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
WashAran said:
How is this an issue? Aren't homosexuels normal people?

When I was at GamesCon in 2010, I meet a guy who was a homosexual, nobody haressed him, nobody cared!
Good job! You've just discovered the use of "Anecdotal Evidence"! It is ineffective.

Elijin said:
This seems ridiculously counter-intuitive.

First off, gaming conventions should be about gaming. Everyone should feel free to attend, regardless of race or sexual orientation, because its about the gaming. In fact in a standard gaming convention, I imagine many many members of the LGBT community attend and have a fine time. Because they're people. They go there as gamers, and have fun as gamers. Because a gaming convention is not about sexual orientation.

If anything making a convention that is named and promoted this way is just begging for trouble. You're taking video games and LGBT issues. Some of America's top issues for attracting negative press and ridiculous extremists of the anti variety, and you're sticking them together. Seems like you're trying as hard as possible to make an event which will call the focus of bigots and assholes.

I have no problem with awareness for LGBT community, or people's sexual orientation, but I gotta say, if I were gay, I would skip this. Because its inviting the exact type of situation you're trying to promote awareness of to avoid. Its a hostile situation in the making.
I don't think people understand that gaming conventions aren't just about gaming, or indeed any convention is truly about the central media it promotes. They're about the people that go there, about the community, the people that go out of there way to attend the conventions either for the game demos or the panels or to meet their online buddies. It's about forging connections, having discussions, buying some merch. I wonder if most people here have ever been to a con as anyone will tell you that it's not the media specifically, but what the media brings to the people that come. You have costume contests, get togethers or lan parties, and in the end it's a huge dance party where everyone has a good time. Do you think people are going to QuakeCon specifically because they want to try out some of the games on display? Hell no! They're going there, maybe bringing their own computers, to meet other people, to see the panels, to frag some friends on the show floor, get some merch while they're at it! Don't confuse E3-like events with actual conventions.

This con is meant to be a place where gamers of all sexual orientation can come together and have a fun, safe time. Like it or not, sexual orientation and the use of it as either a derogatory insult or just completely ignoring it in game development is in effect today. This con is here so that people can be open and free to discuss these issues as I'm sure many developers will come into panels and weigh in on these issues. I really don't see why this con can't and shouldn't exist. It's trying to bring tolerance and respect into this community, and yet people are pissing and moaning about "segregation" and "OMG, like, why does it matter!" If you will get out of your comfortable little rock dome, you would know why.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Jumplion said:
I don't think people understand that gaming conventions aren't just about gaming, or indeed any convention is truly about the central media it promotes. They're about the people that go there, about the community, the people that go out of there way to attend the conventions either for the game demos or the panels or to meet their online buddies. It's about forging connections, having discussions, buying some merch. I wonder if most people here have ever been to a con as anyone will tell you that it's not the media specifically, but what the media brings to the people that come. You have costume contests, get togethers or lan parties, and in the end it's a huge dance party where everyone has a good time. Don't confuse E3-like events with actual conventions.
That doesn't dispute what I said. I said its about gaming and gamers. About a group of people with a common hobby, who come together to celebrate that hobby in a social environment. I have been to cons and I dont see the 'anti-gay' sentiments people are talking about. Yes, gaming SHOWS are all about booth babes and the such, but gaming cons are about people dressing up in ridiculous outfits, not caring whether people think negative things about those outfits or their person and having a lot of fun with like-minded people.

Like I said, conventions arent about sexual orientation, they're about gamers doing their thing. Gamers come in all shapes, sizes, genders, ages and sexual preferences.

And as I previously said, this seems like an event which is going to generate a hostile environment in spite of its intentions. Because assholes are assholes, and this idea takes two powderkeg issues and tries to pretend it wont attract the wrong attention by the wrong people.

mgirl

Mar 29, 2011
Bigsmith said:
We don't need a con for them, we don't need a bright and colourful flag to say that this community supports this aforementioned community (which is what this'll be).

Yes I know that anyone is welcome to the con, and this is what supports my statement of 'what is the point' because everyone is welcome to any con.
The point, as I see it anyway, is that highlighting a group of people who within the subculture of gaming come under abuse, which does happen regardless of how tolerant most people are, and creating an event where these issues can be highlighted and show people it isnt acceptable. Plus, gay people are under represented in games, and surely thats the sort of thing it's focusing on?

I don't understand the number of comments going on about 'segregation' either when that isn't the point of the thing.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
I don't know what to think of this.

One one hand, it's a goodwill gesture toward gay people and I doubt any ill will is intended.

On the flip side, why do they need to segregate gay gamers from 'gamers' in general? Why, they are not true gamers because of their sexual orientation?

It seems a bit odd to me. Perhaps they could have drawn attention to some major gay events during the convention, but basing the entire convention around a sexual preference is not the best of ideas.