Go Back To WoW

Zemalac

Apr 22, 2008
PaulH said:
Zemalac said:
Shamus Young said:
Do skiers and snow boarders hate each other with the same fervor as Xbox and PS3 fans?
Yes. Possibly more so.

Goddamn skiers, taking up the entire frickin' slope. If you're going to go back and forth like that, at least let people pass you instead of cutting in front of them...RANT
Kinda funny remark given that skiers are FASTER because of the reduced friction to the snow because of the (usually) reduced surface area of the skis in comparison to snowboards.
They may be faster. In fact, they are faster. This is truth.

However, most skiers (or at least, most that I have seen) tend to go back and forth on the slope, thus blocking the entire trail to someone who is being careful not to run into people while passing because you never know when the skier is going to turn back the other way and run straight into you and then it's your own goddamn fault because they were lower on the slope than you and it's your responsibility to watch out for that...

Anyway. I understand that people go back and forth in order to reduce their speed to something manageable: it still annoys me when I want to just bomb down the slope without having to slow down and wait for the right moment to pass someone. Pet peeve of mine, as it were.

ahpuch

Mar 19, 2009
While I dislike the Fanboys with their quick attack on any critism and the use of the phrase "Go back to Wow" the conclusion that this is a symptom of a game in trouble is completely unsupported (and unwarranted) (not to mention the lack of statistical validity in those numbers).

While mindlesspuppet said it better:
mindlesspuppet said:
"Go back to WoW" is a statement used by very frustrated and fed up communities.
I would like to add,

People use the phrase because uninformed people come into the game and try to change what makes a game unique and interesting and make it more like another game. If you want the other game, play it. I play DDO which has unique aspects that make it interesting to play. When people come to the forums and ask for those unique game features to be replaced with a feature that matches WoW, "Go back to WoW" is not an unwarranted response. Especially when the requester has displayed a complete ignorance of the game they are asking to be changed.

While many of those comments came while the game was struggling, I think the prevalence of those comments are far more an indicator of how different a game is from WoW than how much it is struggling. LotRO rates lower on the frequency because it is more like WoW than DDO.

ffs-dontcare said:
The only reason people are so elitist against WoW is because they want to be seen as "cool". They consider themselves "above WoW". They're sheep that call us WoW players sheep. They're "non-conformist" conformists.
Umm, No.

brenatevi

Jul 31, 2007
Didn't read all of the responses (got to page 2) before I realized that "Go back 2 WoW" is like a heroin addict telling someone to go back to cocaine. (Yes, I play MMOs... Lifetime Member for STO, and I don't regret it.)

Otterpoet

Jun 6, 2008
Yeah, I heard that quite a bit on Neosteam. It's a different game - but definitely has some rabid players. Newbies are regularly hit with that comment if they ask questions or complain about the very limit quests.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of WoW (and think the new expanion is a bit of a rip-off of my favorite MMORPGer). But it has its merits: its visually gorgeous and expansive and has an intriguing narrative.

There are FAR worse MMORPGers out there.

Vuirneen

Nov 16, 2009
The problem with searching for the phrase "go back to wow" is that it includes:

"I may go back to wow"

"I won't ever go back to wow"

"Will I ever go back to wow?"

and other such phrases.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
While I agree with you on the idea that the criticism will ultimately close down discussion and paralyse more enlightened debate about the qualities or possible improvements to another game, I think there is a reason behind the use of the phrase that you didn't touch on.

A lot of games, like Guild Wars, strive to do something completely different with the genre than with WoW. Sometimes the "go back to WoW" statement is more of a summary of an opinion that, well, the proposed feature or suggestion would only make the game more like WoW rather than necessarily better. It might even be seen as a move away from the purpose of said game. People summarise their opinions in such a way often. It's just a part of interacting on the Internet.

Let me be more specific. If, say, someone were to propose that Guild Wars should have a level cap in the eighties, this would ignore the philosophy behind the game; that is, the level cap is much lower than in other MMOs because this fosters stronger balance and more skill-based gameplay in PvP matches. The simpler a system is, the more likely it is for the developers to create something fair that can only be exploited for so long. In such a situation, I think the proposer is making the massive assumption that the WoW-style approach is the only way to go in an MMO. This is obviously the wrong idea, and sometimes people rightly get impatient with this.

You could say that I understand both sides here. At the end of the day, WoW is great, but it's not a perfect example of how to do everything right, and other games should not follow it blindly, an idea that doesn't always occur to fans of WoW who then try other MMOs. By the same hand, it is unfair not to explain to such people what they're missing in a civil and effective way.

It's a good thing that developers seem to be better at this than members of the forum have, so fair and balanced criticism does get to the people that count regardless. I remember Gaile Gray, a major developing figure for GW on their official forum, had to deal with numerous forum dramas and complaints about nerfing and low level caps, and she always did so in a way that I respect. I'm sure that Blizzard's teams are like this as well.

shadwotycho

Mar 17, 2010
KillerRabbit said:
Wotlk raiding was joke!
and where is your lich king heroic mount sir?

raiding isn't easier, entry level raiding is easier. A lot of what people(as far as i can see) identify as WoW becoming easier is in actuality the game becoming more tiered. for example when naxx 40 came out how long was it before the world first kill of kt from release(hint: bc launched 4 months later) the 4 horse men being the longest undefeated boss after release until the heroic lich king, which took a full 3 weeks more then the 4 horsemen. If it takes players who have been practicing longer(people have accumulated a bit of play experience in 5 years) longer to complete the content with a 10% damage health and healing buff then ever before i would argue that the content is demonstratively harder.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Judging by your possibly off results there, yes, it does seem the more troubled games have more insults thrown about in their forums, Age of Conan especially.

I can't stand people trying to shut down discussion and improvement, it's the same thing that irks me when people just yell "troll" at someone trying to be critical so something can be improved, they just get insulted, ironcally, normaly trolled off of the area they were trying to talk in.

Of course, if they were going to act like that and the people you're trying to talk to allow them to act like that, would the sensible suggestion have gotten through to them anyway?
Most likely not, but it still makes me sad to think about it.

Cruel world...

rheianna

Mar 23, 2009
I actually have some sympathy towards the players who might pull the "go back to WoW" card after being subject to some of the stuff alleged WoW players throw around in other games.

I started playing DDO last October and for the first 5 levels had to go through the annoyance of having to turn off the General,Trade and Advice channels because it was a nonstop cesspool of this:

Players A: "WTF why can't I do X,Y,Z, this game sucks. WoW is so much better" or "OMFG this game is nothing but a WoW clone, this sucks"

Player B: "Are you on drugs? This game is like so much different".

Players A: "Everyone playing this game a n00b and you suck and Turbine sucks and whaddaya mean I have to pay for quests"

Player C: "LFG lvl 2 Wizard".

Player D: "Use the LFG panel, in this game it's the fastest way to get a group"

Player E: "Lol, LFG panels are for n00btards. In WoW you find groups on General Chat"

Player F: "Epic Fail, I died to a Kobold. This game sucks ass"

Player X,Y,Z: "Wow did this so much better. You can't even do X,Y,Z"

You still can't go through the first few levels without your eyes bleeding due to chats like these. So yeah, in some cases saying "go back to WoW" can be justified.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Hmm, I think the most interesting part of this article was actually the opening paragraphs; why DOES our hobby have such an incredibly higher proportion of douchebags than other pasttimes? It's a cause of great concern.

If there's one game where I think "go back to WoW" is actually a VALID challenge, it's EvE Online. EvE is so radically different from not only WoW but virtually every other MMO that it requires not only a different playstyle but a completely different mindset and player mentality. The weak and unprepared need NOT apply.

Onyx Oblivion said:
Aion? 15.

o_O

They seem like nice people.
Almost certainly a typo. 15,000 is more likely, take it from me.

And having played Aion, I can safely say that I think it's time for me to "go back to Guild Wars".

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
DividedUnity said:
I love the results differences between Aion and everyone else.

Yeah I hate that arguement too. Its like on BF:BD2 if you complain about a feature in game its always go back to CoD
Don't mind if I do.

*throws BC2 against a wall and plays CoD4*

Yeah, you're right.

OT: I've been around the MMO's and this phrase has probably been said to me about 500 times. Maybe more. It happened the most in FFXI. Incidentally, FFXI is the worst MMORPG I've played.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Zemalac said:
PaulH said:
Zemalac said:
Shamus Young said:
Do skiers and snow boarders hate each other with the same fervor as Xbox and PS3 fans?
Yes. Possibly more so.

Goddamn skiers, taking up the entire frickin' slope. If you're going to go back and forth like that, at least let people pass you instead of cutting in front of them...RANT
Kinda funny remark given that skiers are FASTER because of the reduced friction to the snow because of the (usually) reduced surface area of the skis in comparison to snowboards.
They may be faster. In fact, they are faster. This is truth.

However, most skiers (or at least, most that I have seen) tend to go back and forth on the slope, thus blocking the entire trail to someone who is being careful not to run into people while passing because you never know when the skier is going to turn back the other way and run straight into you and then it's your own goddamn fault because they were lower on the slope than you and it's your responsibility to watch out for that...

Anyway. I understand that people go back and forth in order to reduce their speed to something manageable: it still annoys me when I want to just bomb down the slope without having to slow down and wait for the right moment to pass someone. Pet peeve of mine, as it were.
Bah you could say the same thing about surfers and body surfers :3

But the reason why I commented was because if you take a skier and a snowboarder of level skill and training in their chosen craft, it's the 'boarder' thats going to get in the way, because the skier is going to leave him in his wake.

The skier is down the bottom of the slope before boarder are half way down.

So technically speaking it's more likely a case that its SLOW SNOWBOARDERS getting in the way.

Personally I prefer skiing, more skill, more speed. :p That being said I don't hate on boarders. If theres a collection of them I wait a second before making them taste puff :3

Zemalac

Apr 22, 2008
PaulH said:
Bah you could say the same thing about surfers and body surfers :3

But the reason why I commented was because if you take a skier and a snowboarder of level skill and training in their chosen craft, it's the 'boarder' thats going to get in the way, because the skier is going to leave him in his wake.
This is true, in theory. However, I have never once encountered it, except when I was intentionally racing someone on skis. On a snowboard I am, with few exceptions, going faster than every skier on the slope, because they're always going back and forth and getting in the way.

To be honest, it's probably just my personal experience and has nothing to do with reality, but there you have it. Generalizing from self has brought me this far; I see no reason to abandon it now ;)

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Shamus Young said:
Experienced Points: Go Back To WoW

These are four words that we'd all be better off never speaking - or hearing - again.

Read Full Article
On the WoW forums, we have "Go play runescape"

So I guess we aren't much different XD

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
I have a friend who loves to talk smack about WoW to my grilfriend and I, both of whom play WoW.

It always amazes me how he's so opinionated about a game he hasn't participated in for 3 or 4 years, and how he immediately dismisses any new content/lore as codling casual gamers (instead of an ever evolving game as I do).

Ulitmately his complaints devolve into complaints about how the MMO-genre isn't as 'hardcore' as it use to be - to which I promptly respond THANK GOD! If grind/small community/6+hour raids = hardcore I want it to be gone forever.

I remember he tried to get me into EQ, and basically camping a spawn point and auto-attacking things to death made me lose interest pretty quickly. DAoC was a little better, but still terribly grind-y (obviously opinion). SWG was about the same as DAoC...but I love Sci-fi so I was able to deal with it.

WoW however, was the first that grabbed my attention, and held on. So when I try new games, and go to the forums to find a thread, make constructive feedback, and then get told to go back to WoW I always think of my friend and his rose-colored lenses. It's kind of sad how people equate polish and user-friendly-ness to an insult.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
shadwotycho said:
KillerRabbit said:
Wotlk raiding was joke!

raiding isn't easier, entry level raiding is easier. A lot of what people(as far as i can see) identify as WoW becoming easier is in actuality the game becoming more tiered. for example when naxx 40 came out how long was it before the world first kill of kt from release(hint: bc launched 4 months later) the 4 horse men being the longest undefeated boss after release until the heroic lich king, which took a full 3 weeks more then the 4 horsemen. If it takes players who have been practicing longer(people have accumulated a bit of play experience in 5 years) longer to complete the content with a 10% damage health and healing buff then ever before i would argue that the content is demonstratively harder.

I love when people talk smack about current raiding too. My response usually starts up with, do you use addons? Did you design your own spec? Did you determine which gems were best for your spec by youself? etc...etc...

Raiding isn't any easier than it use to be. I'd argue that fights are actually more difficult since they involve interesting mechanics finally (looking back at MC/BWL ugh what boring mechanics).

Raiding is, however, much more accessible since people run addons like DBM, generate spreadsheets to maximize their dps, can look up guides for BiS items, and dps rotations. These things weren't all that common in earlier editions of WoW - especially in vanilla (the raid version most complainers seem to be the most nostolgic about) I actually really don't like this facet that has cropped up - that is the number crunching - as I am sure it kind of handcuffs developers. But, it's human nature, and even moreso nerd/geek nature to use t3h maths.

lorrdmatt

Jun 3, 2009
I quit WoW about a month ago due to being so busy with college work. In that time I've sort of had withdrawal symptoms and I have wanted to go back to WoW but honestly, I haven't missed it much. Mostly because I have been so busy with other things. It is probably one of the better MMO's out there though and I'll probably renew my subscription when college is finished for this year and summer rolls around.

KillerRabbit

Jan 3, 2009
shadwotycho said:
KillerRabbit said:
Wotlk raiding was joke!
Actually I reactivated my account to try the argent tournament thingy instance, but since that was a joke as well and I experienced killing heroic Anub'arak, and the raid instance felt like a big "meh" I never got convinced to reactivate the account again for the Lich King.

Sure it might be a good raid instance, and very hard on "heroic" (another system I don't like - should only be one mode on the instances!) "I will kill the boss the difficult way, instead of the easy".
Anyway, the server I played on the whole alliance has moved to another server, so I have no guild(s) and or friends to return to anymore, so they can have it!

I'll hope Biowares star wars MMO will be worth the wait instead!

Entropyutd

Apr 12, 2010
John Funk said:
Go back to WoW? Don't mind if I do.
Playing WoW right now, Waiting to raid.
:)
I am not going to disrespect any game, simply because I have not played most MMORPGs, I dabbled in LOTR and found the servers desolate, interesting gameplay, but not my cup of tea.

Frankly anyone uninspired / unintelligent enough to think telling someone to "go back to WoW" is a retort, meets exactly the criteria of the type of dipshit who plays the Anal or Murloc game in trade chat.
Exactly the type of person any MMORPG is all the richer for not having on its subscription list.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
KillerRabbit said:
shadwotycho said:
KillerRabbit said:
Wotlk raiding was joke!
Actually I reactivated my account to try the argent tournament thingy instance, but since that was a joke as well and I experienced killing heroic Anub'arak, and the raid instance felt like a big "meh" I never got convinced to reactivate the account again for the Lich King.

Sure it might be a good raid instance, and very hard on "heroic" (another system I don't like - should only be one mode on the instances!) "I will kill the boss the difficult way, instead of the easy".
I smell bullshit.
ToC is not easy on heroic, and ICC is hard on normal.

And why would being able to choose the difficulty of the raid be a bad thing?
More people get to experience the content, while still being able to provide challenge to experienced players.
It has no downsides, other than being more work for the developers.