Gogogic CEO Says Single-Player is a "Gimmick"

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
Whilst the idea that single-player gaming is a gimmick is clearly taking the point too far, I think there probably is some merit in what he says. I mean, I've been playing Company of Heroes for 6-7 years now, and I certainly wouldn't have done that if the only antagonist available was the AI (because the AI is stupid). Pitting yourself against people gives a much more even, much more difficult game. Sure, that's one particular RTS, and it does not apply to all games, but there's something in what he says.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
"The first games were designed as multiplayer experiences"
There's an alien, a hungry yellow ball and a plumber with a large mallet at the door, and they would like a word with you...

ChaosStep

Dec 28, 2007
Having looked at Gogogic's catalog of games, it's incredibly easy to dismiss this man's opinion.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Either he's trolling, or he doesn't know much about video game history.

While most of the games I play are single-player games, I do enjoy multi-player games sometimes. While some multi-player games are fun, the social part is either nonexistent or poorly executed. If I want to play a social game, I meet with my friends and play a card game or board game.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
thesilentman said:
"Cue arguments about Yahtzee, Silent Hill 2, Amnesia, Just Cause 2 and just about every damn fine and fun single-player experience since gaming began."

That, Mr. Antonsson, is a recipe for a shitstorm on this forums. Hello? Yahtzee lives here. You're welcome, Mr. Antonsson.
Doesn't take Yahtzee fans to call bullshit on this guy, while he tries to make an interesting point he ends up just trying to insult a large sector of the market. If he wanted to make some overall statement on the evolution of gaming he could have, instead he comes out looking quite biased and stupid for using cheap insults and over-generalizations to promote the style of games his company sells.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
NiPah said:
thesilentman said:
"Cue arguments about Yahtzee, Silent Hill 2, Amnesia, Just Cause 2 and just about every damn fine and fun single-player experience since gaming began."

That, Mr. Antonsson, is a recipe for a shitstorm on this forums. Hello? Yahtzee lives here. You're welcome, Mr. Antonsson.
Doesn't take Yahtzee fans to call bullshit on this guy, while he tries to make an interesting point he ends up just trying to insult a large sector of the market. If he wanted to make some overall statement on the evolution of gaming he could have, instead he comes out looking quite biased and stupid for using cheap insults and over-generalizations to promote the style of games his company sells.
I was trying to make my point about the fact that people don't want to give multiplayer a chance because most of they played is shit as multiplayer. I should have made that more clear. I don't mind having multiplayer, just don't shoehorn it in and make it mandatory.

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Personally, I do play my single player games with others. Me, and the developers. We create the experience of a game, all of us working together.

It really is as simple as that. Computer games havent removed the other person, theyve just put some distance in time between me and the other people no different to if, for example, I were playing Chess by mail.

All it means is that, apparently, it makes it easy for arrogant small-time developers to miss the point and make fools of themselves.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Solo-Wing said:

I am sorry but I really can't take this seriously. I play Singleplayer all the time and never once thought "Man... This is so retarded. Why did the Developers make this shitty single player campaign?"
You haven't played BF3 apparently.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
In other news Skyrim wins overall at the Golden Joysticks....

So you were saying Mr 'I don't fucking know what I'm talking about.'

I like multiplayer, it's fun with my best mate but sometimes you just want some time to yourself..

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
He's dumb. Not much to it. I was gonna get mad, but I think he'll realize how dumb he was when he reads the backlash over this.

A certain willful ignorance is necessary for a CEO in a sense, you really have to believe your product is actually amazing even when it's not. Look at Steve Jobs, he thought all his "inventions" were magical and revolutionary.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
Man this guy should go work for EA his stupid would fit right in.

Oh and I think it's far more likely that Social gaming is the gimmick.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
disgruntledgamer said:
Man this guy should go work for EA his stupid would fit right in.
I don't know. They have some pretty high requirements regarding stupidity. You have to be exceptionally stupid to work for EA. Especially if you want a job in the PR department.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Even though he takes it beyond the point of reasonability (I don't think that's a word but whatever), I sorta agree with where he's coming from. A good multiplayer game shits all over a good single player game every day of the week. Single player can still be good, and certainly has a place, but multiplayer wins out IMO.