"Good" Characters who are actually kinda assholes.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Okay, let's just stuff the friendzone stuff into a cupboard for a while and talk about nerdy things.

The title says it all. What so-called heroes are actually terrible people?

I'll start with the example that made me think of this thread; Batman in Arkham City.

It kinda becomes clear when you complete the main campaign. SPOILERS ON THE STARBOARD SIDE!

After Strange dies and protocol ten is stopped (which was inevitable when Strange decided not only to put Batman into Arkham, but to tell him that he's planning something) Arkham loses what little authority it had. Including the food drops.

Thus, you hear inmates complaining about being hungry more often than before. Some of them say stuff like "This is getting ridiculous...they gotta feed us, right?", worrying that they've been left for dead. They've went from the tyranny of strange, to Tyger trying to blow them up, to starving slowly to death and occasionally being beat up by batman because one of their guard group decided to take bribes from Riddler.

So, Batman, how 'bout you go back to the whole social activist thing you were doing before being arrested, and convince someone to get some proper food in there, maybe arrange for prisoners to be transferred, hell, you could always slip back into the Batman costume and help out. Batman? Batma-

Oh. You're busy. Busy collecting Riddler trophies and chasing a cryptic Asshole in a robot-templar costume.

Yeah. Just keep an eye out for people trying to eat each other, kay?

Also, he's a goddamn Liar. Think about it next time you interrogate someone for Riddler secrets.

"I can hurt you more than you can ever imagine"
"Okay! I'll tell you everything I know, just don't hurt me"
"You've been so educational"
*MASSIVE BAT-FIST TO SIDE OF SKULL*

I'd love it if occasionally, someone said "Y'know what? No. I've seen what you did to the other guys, I'll tell you what I know and then you'll just give me brain damage anyway. Gimme some food, at least."

So, what characters aren't as goody-goody as they're made out to be?

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Nathan Drake.

A super model shouldn't be able to eradicate every race on the planet by only using an AK47 and chest high walls and spouting lines that make my ears bleed as to how bad they are.

I won the thread.

yeti585

Apr 1, 2012
Mario is an asshole. His adventure is probably to pick up his friend (we can't shove the friend zone stuff in the cupboard, it sneaks up on me) from her boyfriend's house, but he got hopped up on mushrooms and went on a few hour long adventure of jumping on things.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Captain Janeway.

Strands her crew on the opposite side of the galaxy for not remembering you can attach a timer to a bomb, and does everything in her power to keep them there by sticking to the Prime directive no matter what, only breaking it when it wouldn't cause genocide.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Can we use TV shows? Cause Walter White from Breaking Bad is the perfect example of this. We go 4 seasons rooting for him then the last season rolls around and... yeah he's just a giant douchenozzle now.

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
Korra from The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra.

Seriously: watch that first season. She spends half of it playing sports while the city goes to shit, never bothers to complete her training, and even though she spends the whole show doing basically nothing; everything works out for her in the end.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Indiana Jones.

How much of a douche he is is usually eclipsed by the fact that the guys on the other side are, well, Nazi's, but there are moments where it is painfully visible. The opening of Temple of Doom, where he is holding an innocent bystander hostage at knife point to save his own skin within the first 5 minutes, springs to mind.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Indiana Jones.

How much of a douche he is is usually eclipsed by the fact that the guys on the other side are, well, Nazi's, but there are moments where it is painfully visible. The opening of Temple of Doom, where he is holding an innocent bystander hostage at knife point to save his own skin within the first 5 minutes, springs to mind.
Yeah but when that innocent bystander is Willy, you end up being kind of glad he used her as a meat shield.

Kratos is probably the biggest asshole of them all though it's hard to call him "good", really.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
Wei Shen of Sleeping Dogs. Let's go stalk that girl that we slept with once!

And The cast of Borderlands. They mow down dozens of natives and wildlife to find something that may or may not exist.

BartyMae

Apr 20, 2012
Goofguy said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Indiana Jones.

Yeah but when that innocent bystander is Willy, you end up being kind of glad he used her as a meat shield.

Kratos is probably the biggest asshole of them all though it's hard to call him "good", really.
What's wrong with Willy? :(

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
Whisper and Thunder of Fable, the two are completely consumed by pride and Whisper will go to the lengths of taking immoral quests just to "compete" the Hero of Bowerstone.

Russirishican

Feb 9, 2011
Mako from The Legend of Korra.
Emotional prick who is insensitive, not fun to be around, selfish, angsty, and can't control his emotions. (Its so bad it needed to be said twice)

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
BartyMae said:
What's wrong with Willy? :(
I do hope you are kidding. The number of times she screamed, squealed or cried during the dinner scene was just unbearable.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Gordon Freeman, definitely. He's so arrogant and stuck up that he completely ignores everyone who speaks to him. Makes you wonder why he bothers with the hero business at all.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Concerning the companions guild in Skyrim

The Companions from Skyrim...Sure you're helping people in Skyrim but you're a group of WEREWOLVES. The Silver Hand are the good guys in that story line.