"Good" Characters who are actually kinda assholes.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Helmholtz Watson said:
I like the guy, but Kratos is kind of a murderous asshole.
I don't think you're supposed to bring up antiheroes in a thread like this; it makes it kinda pointless. Rather, I believe the OP wanted characters who are portrayed as being heroic and moral but are actually roiling fucking douchebags.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
Chell. The Aperture Science Enrichment Center was all fine with science until you showed up, ruining all the hard work put in by our glorious GLaDOS. And then you shut us down and let the facilities fall down while you slept so lazily, while others had to clean up after you.
And then you did it all over again. You selfish human.

And also, the entire cast of TF2. Some of them are thoughtful individuals, though once you get into revenge/domination taunts, they get quite nasty for such colorful people.
^Can be qualified as semi-heroes due to MvM, as they fight to save Mann Co.

Accel

Aug 18, 2012
DugMachine said:
Can we use TV shows? Cause Walter White from Breaking Bad is the perfect example of this. We go 4 seasons rooting for him then the last season rolls around and... yeah he's just a giant douchenozzle now.
Walter's always kind of been a hubris asshole though. Even early on he could have simply taken his family up on on their offer to help pay for his treatments and that would have been that, but he's just too proud to accept that. So instead he makes meth behind their backs and basically puts their lives in danger in the process.

The last season was just him making that transition into full-on Heisenberg.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
Randomeaninglessword said:
Rule Britannia said:
The Companions from Skyrim...Sure you're helping people in Skyrim but you're a group of WEREWOLVES. The Silver Hand are the good guys in that story line.
Could've used a spoiler warning on that.
Sorry, I'll edit :'(
If I messed the story up for you I apologise :'(

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Tony said:
Professor Oak. How dare he make me choose first instead of Gary.
Well Gary is family, maybe he was trying to set you up for failure all along, and just did a great job of covering it up?

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Rule Britannia said:
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Concerning the companions guild in Skyrim

The Companions from Skyrim...Sure you're helping people in Skyrim but you're a group of WEREWOLVES. The Silver Hand are the good guys in that story line.
Why?
The Companions control themselves and use their strength to as a source of good, to the point where they're renowned and respected across all of Skyrim. They hunt down criminals, defend settlements, keep the peace, take on assignments no one else can or will, etc. But because of what they are, hunting them down and murdering them makes the Silver Hand the good guys? Not to mention that only the few in the inner circle of the Companions are actually werewolves, but the Silver Hand makes no distinction.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Master Chief...

Oh you just saw a grunt beside two friendly soldiers, and you had to throw that damn frag grenade... what an asshole.

TeletubbiesGolfGun

Sep 7, 2012
Terminate421 said:
Nathan Drake.

A super model shouldn't be able to eradicate every race on the planet by only using an AK47 and chest high walls and spouting lines that make my ears bleed as to how bad they are.

I won the thread.
hah without fail, the first response was nathan drake.

you think those lines are 'bad'?

how many games have you played..? those are nothing compared to 90% of games from the past 2 decades...

OT: any pokemon trainer ever, you enslave pokemon that are fully functional and self aware beings that can give consent, yet you make them battle to do your bidding and you make them take all the hits nonchalantly to win money and pulverize other slaves.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Rule Britannia said:
Rule Britannia said:
Might want to edit this post, too...

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Any hero who, rather then let a small number of people die, or equally sad but comparatively small sacrifice, risks everyone dying to save a small number of people. It sounds good in fiction, but in reality, risking a 50 percent chance of 100 people dying in order to save 1 persons life is exactly as evil as killing 49 people yourself.

Basically, screw heroes who don't understand basic Game Theory.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Dante from the good Devil May Cry games, and Max Payne as he appears in Max Payne 3. Dante is a likable asshole, though. Max Payne is just depressing. "WAAAAH MY LIFE SUCKS" *kills a busload of immigrants* "WAAAAH"

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
The Crotch said:
Rule Britannia said:
Rule Britannia said:
BIG SPOILER ABOUT SKYRIM HERE
Dude... why would you quote it without taking the very thing you're complaining about out of the quote? S/he can't edit your posts.

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
Buffy, from the obvious, has always struck me as being a serious jerk. Her treatment of Spike is absolutely apalling, and while I could see why she would be hostile towards him after he tried to rape her, she was just as horrible to him beforehand. She's also clearly a racist- I mean, she kills all sorts of demons with reckless abandon, but when someone kills a human, even a totally evil bastard who doesn't have a demon's excuse of needing to kill to survive, that's suddenly crossing the line because humans have "souls?"

Which is actually a gripe I have with Buffyverse protagonists in general- if having a soul is so important and marks the difference between demons and humans, why are Angel/Angelus and Soulless/Ensouled Spike considered the same people and held accountable for each other's actions? It's explicitly stated that not having a soul removes all sense of morality and instills bloodlust, so clearly Angel wasn't in control of himself during the Angelus years. Furthermore, Angelus makes reference to being trapped in Angel's head, scrabbling at the walls, which shows that they're seperate personalities- yet Angel's whole schtick is atoning for what "he" did as Angelus, even though in a very real sense he and Angelus are entirely different people.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Stasisesque said:
The Crotch said:
Rule Britannia said:
Rule Britannia said:
Dude... why would you quote it without taking the very thing you're complaining about out of the quote? S/he can't edit your posts.
Nor can he/she edit the post of the person he/she was quoting. This is a fractal spoiler.

It's also a pretty weak spoiler, as that whole questline was underwhelming as a motherfuck.

Spoiler alert: that whole questline is underwhelming as a motherfuck.

soulfire130

Jun 15, 2010
The Crotch said:
Stasisesque said:
The Crotch said:
Rule Britannia said:
Rule Britannia said:
Nor can he/she edit the post of the person he/she was quoting. This is a fractal spoiler.

It's also a pretty weak spoiler, as that whole questline was underwhelming as a motherfuck.

Spoiler alert: that whole questline is underwhelming as a motherfuck.

Dammit Man! You spoiled it for me! Now I can't underwhelmed as a motherfuck.

Porecomesis

Jul 10, 2010
I use Neptune from Hyperdimension Neptunia. Yeah, she is heroic but she's still an asshole. Case in point:
She comes across a dying man (she knows him, by the way) who asks her to hear his last words. The dialogue goes like this:

Neptune: What's up? A favour? Ask me anything! Oh, but no touching. Got it? No touching!
Jade: Don't treat me like a pervert when I'm about to die. I wanted to tell you one last truth... I'm a member of the Guild. I live on Leanbox but I don't follow Lady Green Heart.
Neptune: ... Why're you telling me now? What's up with this?
Jade: I... I'm into girls... like... Lady White Heart.
*Neptune kills him*
IF: ... And that's that. You finished him off.
Neptune: Oops. Well, that was for ruining the moment.

Wow. Just... wow.

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
In B4 Richard Rahl.

But seriously, he is in fact the archetype character this thread is talking about.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Any character from Assassin's creed, sure they can be like able, but THEY MURDER FOR FUN AND PROFIT.