"Good" Characters who are actually kinda assholes.

Parallel Streaks

Jan 16, 2008
DugMachine said:
Can we use TV shows? Cause Walter White from Breaking Bad is the perfect example of this. We go 4 seasons rooting for him then the last season rolls around and... yeah he's just a giant douchenozzle now.
Arguably that guy's never really been a "good character", even though he didn't kill people pre-Season 1, he was still an egotistical jerkass who let his pride get in the way of his family's legacy with Gray Matter and probably did something pretty douchey to Gretchen Black before he met Skylar. I can see where you're coming from, though.

I can't think of a good example, really, the one that leaps to mind is John Marston from Red Dead Redemption, even if you make the "Good" moral choices and have maximum honor. He still butchered people on behalf of Allende, and tried to shoot the "Mysterious Stranger" even though he was of no immediate danger.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
6th And Silver said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
OT: Gordon Motherfucking Freeman. *ahem*

Let's begin with Half Life 1, shall we? It's pretty straight forward, after all. All Freeman really does is look out for himself while SPECTACULARLY failing to prevent an alien invasion. That's...pretty much it. But then, in Half Life 2, he's somehow become some sort of fucking Messiah. That obviously makes no sense, but whatever. Maybe retellings of his actions have been exaggerated over the years. But by the end of Half Life 2, that excuse is rendered moot. Let's examine all the results of Freeman's actions:

1. Within hours of his arrival, Freeman successfully leads the Combine to the Underground Railroad, effectively destroying the Resistance's only method of getting people out of the city and leading to a LOT of dead Railroad guides. Remember this one, it'll be important later.

2. He then leads the Combine straight to Black Mesa East, destroying their primary base of operations and leading to Eli's capture. Now, you could argue that The Combine already knew the location of Black Mesa East thanks to Mossman, but then...Why didn't they destroy it earlier? And they weren't still trying to steal the Resistance's teleport technology, since Freeman finds a functioning teleport in Nova Prospect just a few hours later. The Combine had no reason to wait, therefore, they can't have already known the Resistance's location, and THEREFORE...Freeman led them right to it.

3. He manages to get all the way to the Combine center of operations and what does this MIT graduate do? He starts banging shit together at random, resulting in an ENORMOUS explosion. Now, I know what you're thinking. "The Combine caused that explosion to open the portal!" No. No they didn't. They just took advantage of the situation to open the portal. In other words, they didn't actively cause it, they just didn't fix it, either. Now, the effects of this Freeman-caused explosion are so far reaching, they get their own separate number.

4. Obviously there's gonna be massive casualties from all the citizens that weren't able to escape the city, but it's actually even worse then that. The people that DO escape have no idea where to go, thanks to the collapse of the Rail Road. They'll probably die out there in the wilderness. And even the ones that somehow reach a Resistance Base are screwed. Think about it: Before Freeman got there, the Resistance only ferried people out of the city a few at a time. Now, they've got THOUSANDS of new mouths to feed, and a Combine that's on the offensive. Where the fuck are they going to get the resources to deal with that? They can't. Freeman didn't SAVE the citizens of City 17, he DISPLACED them.

Gordan Freeman: Saving everyone, even if it fucking kills them.
On the topic of Half Life 1, Gordon isn't trying to save everyone, he's just trying to save his hide and the hides of his co-workers by doing as the others instruct, he never acts on his own aside from escaping the test chamber. He was just doing as asked, and that hardly makes him an asshole.

1. The railroad was attempting to get Freeman out of the city, additionally, its established the combine already know where the railroad is (as they attack stations you haven't reached yet) and simply didn't care until they spotted Gordon and decided that they didn't want him to escape, so they systematically dismantled the railroad.

2. Gordon was told by Alyx, Mossman and Eli to go there, he was just doing as he was told. Additionally, I'd imagine that the combine already knew of the Black Mesa East facility (As Dr. Breen had worked there) and when they spotted Freeman, they began to assemble the forces needed to take the base out (which they hadn't done before because they didn't think the resistance a threat.)

3. Yes, the combine actually did destabilize the reactor, all Gordon did was delay it long enough to escape. Go replay episode 1.

4. Again, the combine blew the damn thing up.

So no, Gordon, would you kindly?

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
Rainboq said:
Alssadar said:
And also, the entire cast of TF2. Some of them are thoughtful individuals, though once you get into revenge/domination taunts, they get quite nasty for such colorful people.
^Can be qualified as semi-heroes due to MvM, as they fight to save Mann Co.
OoohhhhhEEE! Makin' bacon!

Seriously though, the cast of TF2 has always been out as a bunch of depraved lunatics murdering each other for giggles.
agrubly TF2 char.s dont count while they are to some degree ass-holes they are not "good" guys
more of a neutral grey guys

Julien Brightside

Oct 7, 2010
I kinda have to agree with Richard Rahl being an asshole.

Well, maybe not asshole, but it always seems to me that he brings trouble.

Speaking of trouble, anyone ever seen Stargate Atlantis?
1. Save a girl from getting munched, accidentally awaken galaxy spanning vampire race.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Rainboq said:
6th And Silver said:
Helmholtz Watson said:

Let's begin with Half Life 1, shall we? It's pretty straight forward, after all. All Freeman really does is look out for himself while SPECTACULARLY failing to prevent an alien invasion. That's...pretty much it. But then, in Half Life 2, he's somehow become some sort of fucking Messiah. That obviously makes no sense, but whatever. Maybe retellings of his actions have been exaggerated over the years. But by the end of Half Life 2, that excuse is rendered moot. Let's examine all the results of Freeman's actions:

1. Within hours of his arrival, Freeman successfully leads the Combine to the Underground Railroad, effectively destroying the Resistance's only method of getting people out of the city and leading to a LOT of dead Railroad guides. Remember this one, it'll be important later.

2. He then leads the Combine straight to Black Mesa East, destroying their primary base of operations and leading to Eli's capture. Now, you could argue that The Combine already knew the location of Black Mesa East thanks to Mossman, but then...Why didn't they destroy it earlier? And they weren't still trying to steal the Resistance's teleport technology, since Freeman finds a functioning teleport in Nova Prospect just a few hours later. The Combine had no reason to wait, therefore, they can't have already known the Resistance's location, and THEREFORE...Freeman led them right to it.

3. He manages to get all the way to the Combine center of operations and what does this MIT graduate do? He starts banging shit together at random, resulting in an ENORMOUS explosion. Now, I know what you're thinking. "The Combine caused that explosion to open the portal!" No. No they didn't. They just took advantage of the situation to open the portal. In other words, they didn't actively cause it, they just didn't fix it, either. Now, the effects of this Freeman-caused explosion are so far reaching, they get their own separate number.

4. Obviously there's gonna be massive casualties from all the citizens that weren't able to escape the city, but it's actually even worse then that. The people that DO escape have no idea where to go, thanks to the collapse of the Rail Road. They'll probably die out there in the wilderness. And even the ones that somehow reach a Resistance Base are screwed. Think about it: Before Freeman got there, the Resistance only ferried people out of the city a few at a time. Now, they've got THOUSANDS of new mouths to feed, and a Combine that's on the offensive. Where the fuck are they going to get the resources to deal with that? They can't. Freeman didn't SAVE the citizens of City 17, he DISPLACED them.

On the topic of Half Life 1, Gordon isn't trying to save everyone, he's just trying to save his hide and the hides of his co-workers by doing as the others instruct, he never acts on his own aside from escaping the test chamber. He was just doing as asked, and that hardly makes him an asshole.

1. The railroad was attempting to get Freeman out of the city, additionally, its established the combine already know where the railroad is (as they attack stations you haven't reached yet) and simply didn't care until they spotted Gordon and decided that they didn't want him to escape, so they systematically dismantled the railroad.

2. Gordon was told by Alyx, Mossman and Eli to go there, he was just doing as he was told. Additionally, I'd imagine that the combine already knew of the Black Mesa East facility (As Dr. Breen had worked there) and when they spotted Freeman, they began to assemble the forces needed to take the base out (which they hadn't done before because they didn't think the resistance a threat.)

3. Yes, the combine actually did destabilize the reactor, all Gordon did was delay it long enough to escape. Go replay episode 1.

OK, maybe he's not an asshole, but he does seem to ruin everything he touches. And I will admit the Combine does seem aware of Gordan's "relationship" (whatever it is) with the G-Man, going from Breen's dialog at the end, which would give them a reason to fear Freeman more then the Resistance.

BUT.

I maintain that Freeman blew up the city. You're trying to tell me that the Combine's ONLY method of opening portals requires them to blow up their entire home base, and that just doesn't make sense. No, the only reason they had to blow up the city to open the Portal is because Freeman damaged their portal generator. I feel I should note that this happened when he started banging shit together in the middle of a scientific treasure trove. So while the Combine carries a lot of blame, Freeman is not entirely guilt-free in the matter.

Images

Apr 8, 2010
The Doctor in Doctor Who because of one event that infuriates me, the Christmas Special with Michael Gambon.

My problem is this. Gambon plays an old grumpy bugger who can save the world but is just too bloody grumpy to do it. The Doctor shows up and unable to convince him, goes back in time to try to manipulate bits of Gambon's life so he'll be a nicer person in the present. Every time he comes back and has not yet succeeded, he goes back again and tweaks some more.

NOW HANG ON ONE BLOODY SECOND.

I have no problem when the doctor saves the day at any key event, or even goes back in time further to prevent events happening. I'd have no problem if he grabbed Gambon, gave him a Chinese burn and forced him to help. I'd also have no problem if The Doctor took Gambon back in time to see some of the key events in his life and talk to him about them like in a Christmas Carol. But this? This is bloody brainwashing! Yeah the old man's being a dick but its his right to be a dick! By tinkering with his past to make him a nicer person, you aren't just screwing around with someone's destiny, you're taking away free will!

Doctor Who fans constantly disagree with me on this one, but I still think its asshole-ish. Picard would not approve.

John Pepperell

Mar 4, 2011
Rainboq said:
John Pepperell said:
Rainboq said:
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
Any character from Assassin's creed, sure they can be like able, but THEY MURDER FOR FUN AND PROFIT.
Did you even play Assassin's Creed? Assassins don't murder for "fun and profit", they murder for the good of humanity.
You you never stabbed city officials who put out wanted adds for someone who was murdering guards. Or murder guards for that matter. Or never stabbed those fucking beggars...
I haven't played the first game in the series but I have played the other main three and those guards are or work for the Templars(who want to mind control the entire world) in Creed 2 and Brotherhood, and half the ones in Revelations are Templars. Also for the beggers while it was tempting to kill them the best solution is just run into them. And I know Ezio more or less declared war on the Templars so yeah it was war in his mind you tend do crazy shit in wars if it means your side wins.
What about the other half of the guards? Who just don't want their city to get raided and who gets stabbed to death?
The other half may not have been on the side of the templars but they didn't do a damn thing to help you unless they come across the templars themselves, and they tend to attack you on sight just for walking down the street quickly, or if someone runs into you while you are quickwalking/running.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
Kirby! the "enemies" in dreamland seem to be just minding their own business, not doing anything wrong, until that little pink asshole comes marauding through, eating people whole, burning, exploding, cutting, freezing and electrocuting them all just to get to the end of each level to fight the end bosses, who are probably just defending the poor citizens of dreamland.

Bleidd Whitefalcon

Mar 8, 2012
TizzytheTormentor said:
Luke Fon Fabre from Tales of the Abyss, he is a sheltered aristocrat who is a complete jack-ass to everyone, telling the team pet to drown and proceeds to kick it (he does this A LOT)

He gets better but for the early parts of the game, he was dick.
This. I've had to stop playing the 3DS Abyss port for a while because Luke was pissing me off so much

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
6th And Silver said:
Rainboq said:
6th And Silver said:
Helmholtz Watson said:

OK, maybe he's not an asshole, but he does seem to ruin everything he touches. And I will admit the Combine does seem aware of Gordan's "relationship" (whatever it is) with the G-Man, going from Breen's dialog at the end, which would give them a reason to fear Freeman more then the Resistance.

BUT.

I maintain that Freeman blew up the city. You're trying to tell me that the Combine's ONLY method of opening portals requires them to blow up their entire home base, and that just doesn't make sense. No, the only reason they had to blow up the city to open the Portal is because Freeman damaged their portal generator. I feel I should note that this happened when he started banging shit together in the middle of a scientific treasure trove. So while the Combine carries a lot of blame, Freeman is not entirely guilt-free in the matter.
The combine didn't blow up the citadel because they wanted to send the message exclusively, although it was what allowed them to open the portal, they did it because if Freeman hadn't delayed the explosion, both Alyx and him would have been in the blast.

TheAIOverlord

Dec 9, 2010
Rainboq said:
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
Any character from Assassin's creed, sure they can be like able, but THEY MURDER FOR FUN AND PROFIT.
Did you even play Assassin's Creed? Assassins don't murder for "fun and profit", they murder for the good of humanity.
You you never stabbed city officials who put out wanted adds for someone who was murdering guards. Or murder guards for that matter. Or never stabbed those fucking beggars...
Okay I guess those particular murders aren't for the good of humanity, but they aren't for fun and profit either.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
Kingseeker Frampt and Dark Sun Gwyndolyn in Dark Souls.
Before I start spoilering stuff, I just want to comment on how the terms "light" and "dark" are used in this game. It is very easy to believe that "light/fire" and the Gods are a force for good and that "dark/the age of dark" and the Darkwraiths/Kaathe are a evil. I don't believe this to be true. Light and Fire are just what the Gods need to be safe and to prosper, Dark and the Dark soul represent the age and power of humanity, they can just survive in different climates, I think that Gods being "light" is just an image thing. Also keep in mind that the Gods waged war on the primordial dragons to take control of the "world" using the power they found from fire. The primordial dragons are also seen as evil, yet I see no reason to believe so, other than they are enemies of the Gods who seem to be almost dictator like.

These arseholes brainwash you throughout the game, telling you that essentially to "save the world" you must travel to the kiln of the first flame with the power of the lord's souls and "link the fire" with them. This KILLS YOU, just flat out destroys you after you do all of their dirty work gathering lord souls for them. They do not tell you this, they sort of hint at you being some sort of chosen hero throughout the game, when really you are just a particularly strong puppet to aid the Gods in keeping their precious age of fire.

Humans and Undead such as yourself actually terrify the Gods because of their Humanity (or fragments of the Dark Soul) because they can thrive in an age of dark, if the flames were to go out. They REALLY don't want the age of fire to end, as they are currently on top of the food chain. This means they treat humans and undead like crap and seem to start co-operating and manipulating them when the fires start to dwindle.

Since the Gods seem to only care about themselves and will manipulate and imprison anybody that poses a threat, I really don't see why they would be a force for good and why you should help them. Starting an age of Dark would stop their reign of power and bring freedom to the undead and humanity.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
John Pepperell said:
Rainboq said:
John Pepperell said:
Rainboq said:
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
I haven't played the first game in the series but I have played the other main three and those guards are or work for the Templars(who want to mind control the entire world) in Creed 2 and Brotherhood, and half the ones in Revelations are Templars. Also for the beggers while it was tempting to kill them the best solution is just run into them. And I know Ezio more or less declared war on the Templars so yeah it was war in his mind you tend do crazy shit in wars if it means your side wins.
What about the other half of the guards? Who just don't want their city to get raided and who gets stabbed to death?
The other half may not have been on the side of the templars but they didn't do a damn thing to help you unless they come across the templars themselves, and they tend to attack you on sight just for walking down the street quickly, or if someone runs into you while you are quickwalking/running.
Ummm, those guards are just enforcing the law, since you kill their comrades at arms and run smack into passers by (which is battery) so yeah, their actions are justified.
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
Okay I guess those particular murders aren't for the good of humanity, but they aren't for fun and profit either.
So what, you never tried out a new weapon on some hapless guard? Or looted a fallen corpse?

D-Soul

Sep 5, 2012
As much I don't want to reference a FPS game in this, but 1. I can't really think of any examples. 2. all the good ones were taken but any who here's my example.

Captain Quinton Cole from Battlefield 3- The guy is practically a glory-hound that had the main character pretty much go through hell and back, so he can a promotion. (For anybody who played this game two words: Night Shift, that is all.) so when the main character finally puts him on "Permanent Retirement." it feels pretty damn good.

TheAIOverlord

Dec 9, 2010
Rainboq said:
John Pepperell said:
Rainboq said:
John Pepperell said:
Rainboq said:
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
Ummm, those guards are just enforcing the law, since you kill their comrades at arms and run smack into passers by (which is battery) so yeah, their actions are justified.
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
So what, you never tried out a new weapon on some hapless guard? Or looted a fallen corpse?
*pinches nose and sighs* Those are decisions made by the player and are completely optional, therefore they don't make the character a bad person. Actions made by the player that are in no way part of a mission or side quest do not make the character a good or bad person.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
John Pepperell said:
Rainboq said:
John Pepperell said:
Rainboq said:
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
*pinches nose and sighs* Those are decisions made by the player and are completely optional, therefore they don't make the character a bad person. Actions made by the player that are in no way part of a mission or side quest do not make the character a good or bad person.
If you want to get needlessly pedantic about this, any possible action that the player undertakes can be considered cannon. Regardless, there is an instance in Assassin's Creed 2, Ezio stops to loot the unconscious bodies of some people who he beat up.

TheAIOverlord

Dec 9, 2010
Rainboq said:
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
John Pepperell said:
Rainboq said:
John Pepperell said:
Rainboq said:
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
If you want to get needlessly pedantic about this, any possible action that the player undertakes can be considered cannon. Regardless, there is an instance in Assassin's Creed 2, Ezio stops to loot the unconscious bodies of some people who he beat up.
I forgot about that part. Okay you win. Well played. Sorry I got pedantic.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
John Pepperell said:
Rainboq said:
John Pepperell said:
Rainboq said:
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
No worries :p Memory is fails us all constantly, and getting pedantic is perfectly fine, so long as you really understand the subject material at hand (in this case emergent narrative). Plus I was probably telling you that how you viewed a character was invalid, so yeah, a spirited defense is to be expected :p

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
geK0 said:
Kirby! the "enemies" in dreamland seem to be just minding their own business, not doing anything wrong, until that little pink asshole comes marauding through, eating people whole, burning, exploding, cutting, freezing and electrocuting them all just to get to the end of each level to fight the end bosses, who are probably just defending the poor citizens of dreamland.

I'm gonna go with Captain Olimar, the rotten bastard who enslaves armies of innocent creatures on an alien planet and then sends them to their deaths in battle with other wildlife on the planet, all to fulfill his own selfish goals while he sits on the sidelines and watches the bloodbaths ensue.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Rainboq said:
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
John Pepperell said:
Rainboq said:
John Pepperell said:
Rainboq said:
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
No worries :p Memory is fails us all constantly, and getting pedantic is perfectly fine, so long as you really understand the subject material at hand (in this case emergent narrative). Plus I was probably telling you that how you viewed a character was invalid, so yeah, a spirited defense is to be expected :p
Would you be talking about the unconscious people who were fighting him and his friends over some family feud in the beginning? The ones that would most likely have killed them if they won?

To me, biggest 'Good Asshole', has to go to Wolverine.

He could just knock his opponents out with fights, but no... 'Snikt' and DEATH!