"Good" Characters who are actually kinda assholes.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Helmholtz Watson said:
I like the guy, but Kratos is kind of a murderous asshole.
Actually didn't think I'd get ninjad' on this one :p
I've noticed a pretty big fanbase of the Tales series on this site, which I think is a good thing!

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
6th And Silver said:
2. He then leads the Combine straight to Black Mesa East, destroying their primary base of operations and leading to Eli's capture. Now, you could argue that The Combine already knew the location of Black Mesa East thanks to Mossman, but then...Why didn't they destroy it earlier? And they weren't still trying to steal the Resistance's teleport technology, since Freeman finds a functioning teleport in Nova Prospect just a few hours later. The Combine had no reason to wait, therefore, they can't have already known the Resistance's location, and THEREFORE...Freeman led them right to it.
What makes you think they didn't just wait because they knew Freeman was going to show up there sooner or later after re-awakening?

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Indiana Jones.

How much of a douche he is is usually eclipsed by the fact that the guys on the other side are, well, Nazi's, but there are moments where it is painfully visible. The opening of Temple of Doom, where he is holding an innocent bystander hostage at knife point to save his own skin within the first 5 minutes, springs to mind.

Douche, you say? No way...

Tippy

Jul 3, 2012
Lara Croft would win this whole thing by a mile. She's basically been stealing every shiny thing and murdering anyone who comes in her way.

regalphantom

Feb 10, 2011
Kratos from the GoW series. As Yahtzee said in his review of GoW3, it kind of feels like the only way to do something good in the game is to stop playing before he completely fucks things up.

Pretty much the entire cast of the Gears of War series, except for maybe Dom. They are all just a bunch of testosterone filled badasses who don't give a shit about anything other than having a man-off. That being said, Baird adds some depth to this, because I always saw Baird as the guy who is most obviously using the tough-guy attitude as a coping mechanism.

Samus from the Metroid series. Despite what you see on screen, she is entirely motivated some combination of money and revenge.

The Imperium of Man in Warhammer 40k. Basically the love child of Hitler, Stalin, Darth Sidious, Mao, the Pope, and the Department of Motor Vehicles, you have an ultra-tyrannical fascists space empire ruled by the church of Super Jesus and the red tape. And they are supposed to be the good guys, despite the fact that they would probably destroy all life on a planet because the population had too many people with red hair.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
senordesol said:
Korra from The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra.

Seriously: watch that first season. She spends half of it playing sports while the city goes to shit, never bothers to complete her training, and even though she spends the whole show doing basically nothing; everything works out for her in the end.
Did we watch the same show?

Also, as Im sure its already been said, Ill say it anyways, Kratos.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
But... most of those characters are villains/anti-heroes. Kratos isn't depicted as a "good guy". There is no "good guy" faction in Warhammer 40k. Those aren't assholes being depicted as "good guys". Those are assholes being depicted as assholes. You might as well mention Sauron.

Consider the OP's example: someone who is depicted as good and moral and right - and the developers think this, and they want you to think it. But his singular focus on his quest blinds him; by devoting all his energy to his crusade, he allows far greater pain and suffering that he could easily prevent.

That's different than "omnicidal maniac murders everyone".

Trig0n

Nov 9, 2010
GunsmithKitten said:
Trig0n said:
Kain from the Legacy of Kain series. At the start of Soul Reaver he rips off Raziel's wings and throws him down into an abyss where he burns for an inconceivable amount of time. Just because he grew wings first.

Sure there are some thinly justifiable spoiler filled reasons for it if you feel like playing through every game and getting punched in the face with time paradoxes until your teeth start to taste like the future.
Still. The dude's kind of a dick.
KAIN!? I don't think anyone in their right mind would consider Kain a hero in any sense of the word. That's part of the point of Blood Omen....
Well at the end of Defiance it's kind of revealed that ultimately he's just trying to prevent the actual collapse of the pillars as fate dictated. He's just going about it in pretty much the worst possible way. But yeah in the blood omen and soul Reaver games he's really just a bad guy. I was basing my argument off the final game mostly.

Lazy

Aug 12, 2012
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Dante from the good Devil May Cry games, and Max Payne as he appears in Max Payne 3. Dante is a likable asshole, though. Max Payne is just depressing. "WAAAAH MY LIFE SUCKS" *kills a busload of immigrants* "WAAAAH"
I don't remember killing any immigrants in Max Payne 3. And, to be fair, his life does suck pretty hard.

Helmholtz Watson said:
I like the guy, but Kratos is kind of a murderous asshole.
Trig0n said:
Kain from the Legacy of Kain series.
regalphantom said:
Kratos from the GoW series.
You're confusing "good guy" with "protagonist." Just because you play as them doesn't mean they aren't villains.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
Gutts from Berserk.
Seriously, that guy only made some friends because he lost a duel that might have as well made him a man-whore, then abandons said friends without ever saying a word and causes mental breakdown for one of them, practically creating the greatest evil that world has seen to date. And he literally keeps his girlfriend on a leash (adventurous vegetable that she is right now, but whatever). His current company consists of a fairy serving as first-aid kit, kid that decided to follow him around and gets training only to shut his mouth, a reformed holier-than-thou rich ***** which started as an abduction, her bodyguard/blood relative/lover(?) and a young witch following him around because of fate and stuff. Oh, and his girlfriend, but she doesn't do much aside from drooling and occasional "oooh".
And he enjoys killing pretty much anything that dares to oppose him, be it man, woman, child, undead, lesser demon, enormous demon or a Hand of God (how literal of a Gods servant that Hand is is still in question).

Tippy

Jul 3, 2012
The Heik said:
senordesol said:
Korra from The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra.

Seriously: watch that first season. She spends half of it playing sports while the city goes to shit, never bothers to complete her training, and even though she spends the whole show doing basically nothing; everything works out for her in the end.
This, this, oh dear God in Heaven this.

I saw the first season of LoK a couple of months ago, and from everyone else I've talked to it seemed I was the only one who thought she was a tool. I mean honestly, this girl was so self-centered and childish. I get that the show was trying to portray her as a bit of an insecure teenager who makes up for that with with bravado, but there's a point where they just put too much of that into the character to make it believable. I mean Aang was self-centered and insecure too (heck, that's the establishing idea for the whole story arc of The Last Airbender), but ATLA showed his weaker side more often as well as how he overcame those weaknesses, and as a result the audience could relate to and grow with his struggles. I mean he literally has to save the world. That would get to anyone, and one can forgive some fuck ups so long as he tries to make good on those mistakes (which he does)

But Korra is all tool all the time. There never seems to be a clear point in the show where she truly understands the ramifications of what's happening around her, excepting at the very end where she

loses all her bending powers except air bending (and I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why that last part happened that isn't just plot convenience), and even that doesn't last for more than 10 minutes before it all gets solved by Avatar shenanigans, so it hardly has any narrative weight or impact on the audience.
There is no explanation for what happened in the last episode of Season 1, absolutely nothing makes sense and all possible loose ends are tied in a span of 10 minutes in a fucking terrible manner, leaving plot holes the size of the MOON. It's almost sickening. Korra is a complete idiot - this I could've been fine with, after all eventually there had to be a really dumb Avatar at some point (they are human after all). But the number of plot holes is STAGGERING and all the humor and characther depth is missing.
It's basically a completely different anime trying to do a completely different thing. There is something seriously wrong if I watch an anime and my final verdict is "I don't care about this stupid *****, please just show me more flashbacks about the stories of Aang/Katara/Zuko/Sokka because those are 100x more interesting."

The show (so far) has failed to convince me to be interested in Korra, I continue to be vastly more interested in what happened 50-70 years BEFORE Korra. How absurd is that?
What's worse, the writers KNOW it and are using it to their advantage! They're releasing the old story in pieces and fragments, it's basically bait to keep watching the show as if they're saying "psst, next episode we might show you what happened to Zuko's mother! Now please watch Korra be more of an idiot as stuff gets resolved around her."

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
Rule Britannia said:
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Concerning the companions guild in Skyrim

The Companions from Skyrim...Sure you're helping people in Skyrim but you're a group of WEREWOLVES. The Silver Hand are the good guys in that story line.
ROFL
did you miss the fact that yes they fight werewolves but they are a bunch of murdering a-hole bandits

the sliverhand are not as nice as the dawnguard they have murdered inocents and practice torture

no one in skyrim likes them later in the companion quest line they straight up attack HQ and the whiterun guards and civilians dont even give a fuck about the silver hand corpses lying around
(unlike say the bodys of hired thugs that may attack you if you steal in which they will pay attention to exclaming things like such a waste.. or what happend here?)

if any one is a an a-hole its the entirety of the windhelm and Markarth guards

TheAIOverlord

Dec 9, 2010
Rainboq said:
Any character from Assassin's creed, sure they can be like able, but THEY MURDER FOR FUN AND PROFIT.
Did you even play Assassin's Creed? Assassins don't murder for "fun and profit", they murder for the good of humanity.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
Any character from Assassin's creed, sure they can be like able, but THEY MURDER FOR FUN AND PROFIT.
Did you even play Assassin's Creed? Assassins don't murder for "fun and profit", they murder for the good of humanity.
You you never stabbed city officials who put out wanted adds for someone who was murdering guards. Or murder guards for that matter. Or never stabbed those fucking beggars...

John Pepperell

Mar 4, 2011
Rainboq said:
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
You you never stabbed city officials who put out wanted adds for someone who was murdering guards. Or murder guards for that matter. Or never stabbed those fucking beggars...
I haven't played the first game in the series but I have played the other main three and those guards are or work for the Templars(who want to mind control the entire world) in Creed 2 and Brotherhood, and half the ones in Revelations are Templars. Also for the beggers while it was tempting to kill them the best solution is just run into them. And I know Ezio more or less declared war on the Templars so yeah it was war in his mind you tend do crazy shit in wars if it means your side wins.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
John Pepperell said:
Rainboq said:
TheAIOverlord said:
Rainboq said:
I haven't played the first game in the series but I have played the other main three and those guards are or work for the Templars(who want to mind control the entire world) in Creed 2 and Brotherhood, and half the ones in Revelations are Templars. Also for the beggers while it was tempting to kill them the best solution is just run into them. And I know Ezio more or less declared war on the Templars so yeah it was war in his mind you tend do crazy shit in wars if it means your side wins.
What about the other half of the guards? Who just don't want their city to get raided and who gets stabbed to death?

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Alssadar said:
And also, the entire cast of TF2. Some of them are thoughtful individuals, though once you get into revenge/domination taunts, they get quite nasty for such colorful people.
^Can be qualified as semi-heroes due to MvM, as they fight to save Mann Co.
OoohhhhhEEE! Makin' bacon!

Seriously though, the cast of TF2 has always been out as a bunch of depraved lunatics murdering each other for giggles.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Bloodstain said:
6th And Silver said:
2. He then leads the Combine straight to Black Mesa East, destroying their primary base of operations and leading to Eli's capture. Now, you could argue that The Combine already knew the location of Black Mesa East thanks to Mossman, but then...Why didn't they destroy it earlier? And they weren't still trying to steal the Resistance's teleport technology, since Freeman finds a functioning teleport in Nova Prospect just a few hours later. The Combine had no reason to wait, therefore, they can't have already known the Resistance's location, and THEREFORE...Freeman led them right to it.
What makes you think they didn't just wait because they knew Freeman was going to show up there sooner or later after re-awakening?

Assuming they somehow knew that Freeman would even show up at all, waiting for him to get there STILL didn't make any sense. Think about it. The only way Freeman is able to escape Combine forces in the first place is because he's rescued by the Resistance. If they had wiped out the Resistance as soon as they had the teleport technology, Freeman would've gotten on the train to Nova Prospect and probably would've been killed before anyone even knew he had returned.

Besides, even if the Combine DID want to destroy Black Mesa East and Freeman at the same time, and assuming they knew the location of Black Mesa East prior to Freeman's arrival there...Why did they wait? If they knew where Freeman was and they knew where Black Mesa East was why did they wait for Freeman to arrive there before shelling it? They could've easily destroyed it while Freeman was still on his way down the Railroad....Unless they didn't know it's location until he led them there.