Grand Theft Auto 5 Review - People Suck

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
It is the difference between The Godfather Part 1 and Part 2, between Inglorious Basterds and Triumph of the Will, and between Just Cause 2 and JFK Reloaded. In the former examples, the audience can get behind the anti-heroes depicted for whatever reason and condone their admittedly awful actions, but in the latter group, the subject matter or the protagonist's morals are skewed too far from the norm to be comfortably witnessed.
...hoookay. So in example of Inglorious Basterds, you are ready to condone soldiers torturing and killing prisoners of war and civilians, and committing suicide bombing runs, but characters motivated by greed for money are just unrelatable?

You do realize what kind of picture this paints of you, don't you?

TheSKSpecial

Mar 7, 2008
Zing said:
No Escapist review has held weight since the Dragon Age 2 review for me. Same reviewer gave it a perfect score.

Breaking news: GTA features deplorable characters and anti-heroes
This game DOESN'T have "anti-heroes". That was his point. In past GTA games you at least had anti-heroes with redeemable qualities to balance out the shitbags...this time around you ARE the shitbags and there's no redeeming in sight.

It's like playing the story of San Andreas through the eyes of Tenpenny or Big Smoke.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
kuolonen said:
It is the difference between The Godfather Part 1 and Part 2, between Inglorious Basterds and Triumph of the Will, and between Just Cause 2 and JFK Reloaded. In the former examples, the audience can get behind the anti-heroes depicted for whatever reason and condone their admittedly awful actions, but in the latter group, the subject matter or the protagonist's morals are skewed too far from the norm to be comfortably witnessed.
...hoookay. So in example of Inglorious Basterds, you are ready to condone soldiers torturing and killing prisoners of war and civilians, and committing suicide bombing runs, but characters motivated by greed for money are just unrelatable?

Brutally killing brutal jew killers is absolutely A-OK in most people's books.

saxxon.de

Apr 18, 2011
So, I got it on Sept 16th already, played 4 hours straight and I already like Mike and Franklin. The game's fantastic so far. Maybe just bad luck with the characters, Greg.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
ticklefist said:
kuolonen said:

Brutally killing brutal jew killers is absolutely A-OK in most people's books.
Some of the people they killed were regular soldiers of wehrmacht, who were about as much involved with nazi party as the average G.I. stationed in Afghanistan is involved with whoever started the war. SS =/= Wehrmacht. Well, most of the time.

As side note, I do understand the the thrill of murdering someone you perceive as your moral enemy in every aspect. Just remember that the same reasoning is also used by the people on the other side, by people like brevic and taliban pilots. Unless you really are cool with being on same moral level as the latter, don't try to make it as standing point for moral high ground.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
So my assumption that GTA5 could be safely ignored for favor of picking up Saints Row 4 is now justified? Thanks, Greg!

I never got much enjoyment out of the GTA series after San Andreas anyways. A jetpack might change my mind though... but probably not if watching the characters would just make me sick. There's a fine line between loveably psychotic and just plain old psycho psychotic which it sounds like Rockstar how now missed. Hell, i even thought GTA4 had shit characters, but that was just because they were boring.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
My complaint about GTA IV was that the story was too dark and filled with shitty people who were not in the least bit amusing to make up for it. Guess I will be giving this one a miss.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Why you gotta' be so controversial, Greg? Jesus.
Isn't it obvious Grey. He's trying to steal your thunder! Quick, come up with something more controversial so then I can watch the flames rise higher. XD
You have to admit though, it's quite funny to watch people get upset because someone had the gall to have an opinion. :D

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Shamanic Rhythm said:
My complaint about GTA IV was that the story was too dark and filled with shitty people who were not in the least bit amusing to make up for it. Guess I will be giving this one a miss.
You shouldn't judge the game based on this review. Reviews tend to be highly subjective as it is, even more so when one discusses characters. You might like them.

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
I liken the idea of bringing personal morals and ideologies into a professional review of ANYTHING, whether it be a game, a book or a movie to bringing those same beliefs into a political discussion ala same sex marriage. Everyone acknowledges your right to have those views and shape your decision making/judgement accordingly, but that doesn't make you any less of a fucking idiot for thinking anyone cares what you morally object to.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Sounds like everyone got what they needed in the review and are merely protesting the conclusions the author came to. If, after reading the review, you find that the reasons for docked marks are favorable in your mind and you can tell that you'll enjoy the game because of that... That's a pretty damn good review!

Come on people, if you can say exactly why you disagree with the review based on your own value spectrum, you've been informed enough to make your purchase decision. That's exactly what reviews are for!

Greg, good on you for being able to write a review that's informative enough to give all sorts of people the knowledge they need to inform their purchase decision.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
So I've just come off a session playing this game and I love it.
Yeah I was nothing but a bastard in-game. A despicable person and was often in tears of laughter.

Up until now I found the script and the acting to be awesome.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Maiev Shadowsong said:
So, the game is fantastic, but you don't like that the characters are selfish and cruel.
Almost everything I've heard so far actually points to the contrary as far as two of the characters go. Two of the characters are supposed to me somewhat relateable, especially the retired dad. The third character is basically there to play to the more insane parts of GTA and give people a reason for why they might be causing mayhem in the streets for no reason. I've read from multiple reviewers that there is a torture seen that you are forced to participate in. You torture someone and you don't have a choice. This part may have really rubbed the reviewer the wrong way. However, it's done by the most despicable of the three and it's the guy you're not really supposed to relate to. This is all what I've heard of course, I have not actually played the game. Who knows, maybe Dragon Age 2 really is better.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:
You shouldn't judge the game based on this review. Reviews tend to be highly subjective as it is, even more so when one discusses characters. You might like them.
I'm sure I might like them or find them intriguing and well developed as characters , but I don't want to play as them. It's not really fun or pleasant for me to take control of a character who you know is an asshole with little redeeming features.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
This'll learn Greg to give his honest opinion! What was he thinking? Probably something stupid like "Man this game is great! I just wish the characters didn't make physically ill."

I'm gonna go re-read all the reviews that agreed with my opinion of a game I haven't played. PEACE.