Graphics Card Drivers To Blame For Rage's PC "Issues"

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
Prof.Beany said:
ciasteczkowyp said:
The laughable "company" responsible for fallout and elder scrolls epic BUGS now blames GRAPHIC CARD DRIVERS on their own lack of SKILL.
Whats up with nobody in these forums having heard of Id or knowing what a PUBLISHER is?
Something to do with Brainslugs i think. Brainslugs and kneejerk stupidity.

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
Fiend Dragon said:
The graphics settings aren't really a big deal.. The settings auto adjust nicely IMO, and any PC Gamer worth the silicon in their rigs can open the INI file and change the settings, which are all there just as expected.
Yer, but I personally wouldn't expect a gamer to have to go and edit an INI file - producing an interface to edit the contents of an INI file isn't exactly hard, as evidenced by the number of games with an "Advanced Graphics Options" button. It's not really going to eat at yer deadline to code one, seeing as design work would be minimal (most games lay the options out in the same way) and if you're like.... testing properly surely you're gonna be testing that sane setting combos work anyways?

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
vansau said:
Sure, the "issues" make Rage nigh-unplayable, but Bethesda wants you to know these problems aren't the company's fault.
But Bethesda - how it's possible for so many games, some of them of your own production to run smoothly on exactly the same drivers ?

Maybe you should dismiss some lawyers and hire more capable coders ? Just a thought. :)

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
There's a shitload of texture pop-in on PS3 as well, so my guess is id screwed up big fucking time. It's not as bad as in the video, but it's still annoying as hell. And that's with the (sixty fucking MB) day-one patch installed.

Seriously id, clean your shit up before releasing your games. We expected better from you.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Did no-one at Id actually try playing the game?

Someone would have noticed, surely...

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well damn. I hope they fix this asap.
All you PC folks with this problem, hang in there!

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Wow, I was just about to pic this up since the reviewers were fairly positive for the console version, guess I'm steering clear of this. I'll be sure to use my crappy port of Brink to ward Rage away.
Seriously what is with the bad PC ports this year, Brink, Dead Island, and now Rage?

markisb

May 31, 2010
well i guees it was ether complain about horrible horrible pop in. or complain about them delaying the game for a few weeks.

markisb

May 31, 2010
Rednog said:
Wow, I was just about to pic this up since the reviewers were fairly positive for the console version, guess I'm steering clear of this. I'll be sure to use my crappy port of Brink to ward Rage away.
Seriously what is with the bad PC ports this year, Brink, Dead Island, and now Rage?
i think they finally stopped caring about pc games.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Kakulukia said:
There's a shitload of texture pop-in on PS3 as well, so my guess is id screwed up big fucking time.
It's the same story as usual. PC and PS3 takes a backseat to XBox360 development.

*sigh*

Apr 5, 2008
Just me, or does it look very much like Borderlands? Hmmm, now I want to play Borderlands again.

That's pretty shoddy graphics issues, though I've seen worse. Maybe a patch will sort it out. Still, to come from a company with the PC pedigree of id is almost incredible.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
Pro tip : If you are a games development company, and are selling a game, you should NEVER require drivers that are in Beta.

I'm guessing that at some point, someone must have tested the game. And thus at someone must have instructed this person that they needed drivers that weren't production ready. This should raise big red flags. This should have meant a delay; not "ship it and provide instructions on the internet".

Blame drivers if you like, it's incompetence at Bethesda that allowed this to be a problem.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
DustArma[]
Snotnarok said:
Hey remember when Bethesta said they sometimes don't remove bugs when they're amusing? Well I think they also let them go by when they're not funny.
You are confusing the publisher side of Bethesda with the developer side which made that comment.
No, I'm not confusing anything I'm just making a rude comment about Bethesta releasing buggy as hell games. I'm aware Id made it but that's not as funny :p

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
Here is a toast to a dying beast ...

QA, quality assurance, hope you survive.
At least in small number of habitats (i.e. development companies). Your demise was greatly accelerated by gamers being too easy to fall for hype and not being educated enough as a consumer.

Salut!

BTW, since this is a XBOX port to PC ... No DX11 in it either?

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
PingoBlack said:
BTW, since this is a XBOX port to PC ... No DX11 in it either?
idTech5 uses OpenGL 4.x, not DirectX. :)

In fact, it's really pushing Open GL 4.2, one of the reasons why there's bound to be bugs (not to mention ATi's 'legendary' history of supporting OpenGL). But it still doesn't excuse releasing a game running on mythical drivers.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Fiend Dragon said:
There's nothing apart from the 'gimped video options' ( and maybe the field of view ) that suggests that this is a console port, and I've found it pretty PC player friendly so far.
Hasn't id confirmed multiple times that their lead platform was 360? I'm pretty sure they said that when we found out about multiple discs and installing them all or something. And if 360 was their lead platform, then of course the PC version is a console port.

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
Raiyan 1.0 said:
idTech5 uses OpenGL 4.x, not DirectX. :)
On XBOX? That can't be possible ...

Are you saying they released it as GL for PC and DX for XBOX? o_O
Or does XBOX support OpenGL now days?

I was under impression Microsoft never implemented GL support in their console.

SpecklePattern

May 5, 2010
9thRequiem said:
Blame drivers if you like, it's incompetence at Bethesda that allowed this to be a problem.
Yes, that is the point here.

Also, this is making me furious. How the hell can they even do this? Isn't there even some laws to counter this sh*t. It's like going out to buy a lawn mower:

Sales guy: "This lawn mower is our top model sold to this date"
You: "I'll take it"
*goes home*
*realizes there is no blades in the mower*
*calls to the sales guy*
You: "Why is there no blades in my lawn mover that I just bought"
Sales guy: "Well the blades will be delivered later."
You: "WTF!?"
Sales guy: "Well it's not our fault that the lawn mover maker had no complete version made."
You: "WTF!?"

HOW THE HELL IS THIS POSSIBLE/TOLERATED!?

D: