Graphics Card Drivers To Blame For Rage's PC "Issues"

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
SpecklePattern said:
HOW THE HELL IS THIS POSSIBLE/TOLERATED!?

D:
Simple ... Gamers tend to buy a product before it's even finished (pre-purchase) or very soon after release (launch day).

You would never do that for lawn mover or a car. Why don't we trust PR and hype by those manufacturers? Or do gamers think games are so cheap that this kind of crap won't hurt their wallets?

Hard to say.

SpecklePattern

May 5, 2010
PingoBlack said:
SpecklePattern said:
HOW THE HELL IS THIS POSSIBLE/TOLERATED!?

D:
Simple ... Gamers tend to buy a product before it's even finished (pre-purchase) or very soon after release (launch day).

You would never do that for lawn mover or a car. Why don't we trust PR and hype by those manufacturers? Or do gamers think games are so cheap that this kind of crap won't hurt their wallets?

Hard to say.
Yes yes, I know. Beta testers are the modern QA of the gaming industry (which I don't entirely agree with).

And that was my point. You would never ever tolerate or see these kind of things like with lawn movers or cars. Perhaps gamers just go with the hype and follow popular titles even if they are crap on release (or as more often, stay crap or unplayable after release).

Yes, it is hard to say, but this whole thing makes me a sad panda.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Props to them for using OpenGL because it's a lot better than DirectX. The only reason we use DirectX on PC is because of fuckin' Microsoft. And because OpenGL games are rare nowadays on PC's we don't have proper drivers for games that are using it. Lack of in-game graphics option is stupid, but texture problems are understandable now when we know the game uses OpenGL which is actually superior to DirectX. I'm still not gonna buy it though because I was never interested in this game.

Fiend Dragon

Apr 7, 2010
mjc0961 said:
Fiend Dragon said:
There's nothing apart from the 'gimped video options' ( and maybe the field of view ) that suggests that this is a console port, and I've found it pretty PC player friendly so far.
Hasn't id confirmed multiple times that their lead platform was 360? I'm pretty sure they said that when we found out about multiple discs and installing them all or something. And if 360 was their lead platform, then of course the PC version is a console port.
Well yeah, I guess I should have add 'crappy' or something. The game doesn't suffer from being a port like this, it feels like a strong PC game to me, I have a decent rig but not a beastly one and it runs perfectly smooth and looks really nice, mouse and keyboard control doesn't feel off, menus aren't unwieldy... etc

tharglet said:
Fiend Dragon said:
The graphics settings aren't really a big deal.. The settings auto adjust nicely IMO, and any PC Gamer worth the silicon in their rigs can open the INI file and change the settings, which are all there just as expected.
Yer, but I personally wouldn't expect a gamer to have to go and edit an INI file - producing an interface to edit the contents of an INI file isn't exactly hard, as evidenced by the number of games with an "Advanced Graphics Options" button. It's not really going to eat at yer deadline to code one, seeing as design work would be minimal (most games lay the options out in the same way) and if you're like.... testing properly surely you're gonna be testing that sane setting combos work anyways?
Yeah, it does kind of suck that we have to do that, and no it probably wouldn't be that hard, but the degree of rage that some people have over it is ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets patched in pretty fast anyways, once this driver shenanigans is worked out.

PingoBlack

Aug 6, 2011
SpecklePattern said:
Yes, it is hard to say, but this whole thing makes me a sad panda.
There is one solution, I try to practice myself. To only buy from companies that have large QA departments invested in and show consistent care for technical quality of the products.

Mind you, technical quality, not to be mixed up with like/dislike of the content. :)

Then again, I'm not a terribly prolific gamer, I only play a small number of titles. If you like to experience many titles you will be in for some hard choices. The choice of not playing a game thus not buying it.

PingoBlack

Aug 6, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
Props to them for using OpenGL because it's a lot better than DirectX. The only reason we use DirectX on PC is because of fuckin' Microsoft. And because OpenGL games are rare nowadays on PC's we don't have proper drivers for games that are using it. Lack of in-game graphics option is stupid, but texture problems are understandable now when we know the game uses OpenGL which is actually superior to DirectX. I'm still not gonna buy it though because I was never interested in this game.
How is something that doesn't work well better?

Also, you are being unfair. As much as Microsoft has a part of blame why GL died off, a lot of the blame rests on people behind GL spec. They were terribly slow to adapt after Silicon Graphics died and Microsoft started competing with them hard developing their own library.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
JesterRaiin said:
But Bethesda - how it's possible for so many games, some of them of your own production to run smoothly on exactly the same drivers ?

Maybe you should dismiss some lawyers and hire more capable coders ? Just a thought. :)
Bethesda's own games all run on DirectX 9-based engines.

id Tech 5 (Rage) runs on OpenGL 4.2.

One is an old and well-supported standard, while the other is rather new and doesn't have good support from the graphics card manufacturers yet... because they don't really care about OpenGL unless they have to.

PingoBlack said:
BTW, since this is a XBOX port to PC ... No DX11 in it either?
It's not. The game was developed for PC with an Xbox 360 controller plugged in.

And id Software always use OpenGL. Ever since GLQuake in early 1997.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
PingoBlack said:
How is something that doesn't work well better?
It's better as long as you're not stuck us common folk's graphics card drivers?

Or maybe Jensen just likes the cross-platform aspects of it, since it isn't shackled to Microsoft.

dantoddd

Sep 18, 2009
Carmack was one of the creators of OpenGL. my guess is that this extensively uses openGL and modern drivers aren't properly optimized for it. in that scenario it's really not Id's fault.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
"Its not our fault your computer isn't like the fictional computers we built it for" I'm sorry but that is just a bad show all around.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Well, Nvidia's most up to date drivers crash my pc so regularly I had to revert back to older ones, so no chance I'll be picking up Rage any time soon. Far too much hassle for a game I was more or less indifferent about to begin with.

It's pretty shoddy though, and even once the problems are fixed this is the sort of thing that makes a terrible, and lasting, first impression. I hope id get their shit together before Doom 4.

ElectrifiedSorcerer

Apr 8, 2011
I'm really beginning to think that Bethedsa and Ubisoft are run by time-travelers who have come from a future where their families have been massacred by gaming pc's

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Hmmm, are they going to fix how horrible the textures are when you get near anything? Even when they are "fully loaded", up close they look like horrible shit. The game is still fun, but I hate when a company talks itself up about graphics. It's not a hard game to run with ridiculous requirements, and I'm lucky because my texture fill in happens really quick, though you can still see it when you move fast enough. If you look down your handgun scope at a far away rock, then the game renders the texture, and it'a quite noticeable. I'm used to bugs, so this isn't that big of a deal. It's playable for me, wish it was for everyone.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
PingoBlack said:
Also, you are being unfair. As much as Microsoft has a part of blame why GL died off, a lot of the blame rests on people behind GL spec. They were terribly slow to adapt after Silicon Graphics died and Microsoft started competing with them hard developing their own library.
A multi-billion dollar corporation succeeds at burying it's non-profit competitor ... well whoever would have guessed.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
You know when us folks living around the UK and Europe tend to complain a bit about America getting games before us?

Well, this isn't one of those times.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I seem to remember Morrowind for the Xbox had a whole catalog of bugs in it. Was pretty amusing reading lists of workarounds on a console game.

Guess Bethesda is the pioneer of buggy shit

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I knew they were making a crappy console port (well, they practically announced it).
The best thing about id's games are their standard-raising graphics in each game and this game just looks like any other modern brown shooter.
I won't be buying it. I guess id is going to learn what Epic learned not too long ago.

PingoBlack

Aug 6, 2011
Mr.K. said:
A multi-billion dollar corporation succeeds at burying it's non-profit competitor ... well whoever would have guessed.
Sorry ... I don't see a connection you are making.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL#History

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Carmack makes bad PC port. Never though I would say that....

Adam Jensen said:
A lot better how? As far as I was aware OpenGL was the betamax of the gaming world.