Graphics Card Drivers To Blame For Rage's PC "Issues"

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Say what you want but id managed to get Rage to work on both consoles more or less perfectly. The PC version is yet another sloppy console port.
They really should have held it back a little longer for tweaking and testing and to customise it for the PC (yeah that last point will never happen).

I'm pretty fed up with shoddy console to PC ports and have had my fair share of those in the last few years, so this really does grind my gears a little.
On the upside with games like BF3 some developers are going back to making games which are at least made to be on the PC.
I think as this generation of consoles starts to fade more and more developers will start to give the PC a little bit more effort and time and not just hastily release games which are basically the console game which is able to run on a PC and nothing more, which is the current situation for many titles.

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
I play Rage on a lowly Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 and it runs pretty good for me. Go me!

(I will notice some popins here and there, but only if I swing the camera around wildly.. other than that, smooth sailing)

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
This is just unforgivable. Did no one actually play test this on the PC? It's not out in the UK till Friday, hopefully it'll be sorted by then.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
Seriously, what did you expect? Someone remembers? <insert you "favorite" game ported to the PC here>
Brink, Saints Row2, GTA IV, whatever rides your pony. I'm willing to bet almost any port from the console to the PC will just be extremely shitty... But please prove me otherwise, maybe I'm missing out something important.

Oh just wait, wow!
Hang on!

This is important!

Fellow Escapists, rejoice with me as I had an epiphany,
it seems that the age of brown and grainy shooters is finally over.

We all can breathe a sigh of relief now as some of us did survive this abhorrent Brown-Age that blightened our lands.

Rejoice my fellow surviving Escapist as we now can revel and bask in the new era of shooters. The buggy ones...

All Hail to the buggy shooters. No more brown castles, more brown castles and revenge of the brown castles.*) We now have: lagging polygons, crappy polygons and even more unplayable polygons.

May their kingdom come and their reign be long and prosperous, alleluia!

*)Read spoilers:
Stolen from Yatzhee's finest:[link]http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/14-Clive-Barkers-Jericho[/link]

rainbowunicorns

May 18, 2009
Sud0_x said:
Hoping to see some honest, unbiased, user reviews appear soon!
I've never understood the attitude that the bugs a game launches with should not factor in to reviews. If I bought a game with the expectation of being blown away by graphics, and I was instead watching the scene visibly filling itself in, I would rate the product very poorly (in the 1-4 range, depending on how good the other components were).

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
ciasteczkowyp said:
The laughable "company" responsible for fallout and elder scrolls epic BUGS now blames GRAPHIC CARD DRIVERS on their own lack of SKILL.
Uh... id was making Rage LONG before they were owned by Bethesda's PUBLISHER, not to be confused with Bethesda the development team. Theres really no need to group them together in this comparison.

Bad Cluster

Nov 22, 2009
They can say whatever they want, the fact that the game is poorly ported to PC is obvious, yes I said ported, since its not a secret that their focus was development for consoles, and it shows.

To this moment I probably spent more than 4-6 hours total playing around with console commands, launch parameters and different community fixes to all the problems the game is having at the moment.

Luckily I managed to get rid of most texture issues I had, and I am using an Nvidia card, ATI users got it even worse. I say luckily, because to this moment there was ZERO support from ID or Bethesda in this, all the fixes are thanks to the community of people who are familiar with ID's engines and console commands.

Yes the problem does lie in the drivers, but developers are to blame for not delivering easy to use configuration options, the configuration menu you get in game is a joke, and wont help you with your problems, and most users are not that savvy to know how to play around default configurations by using obscure console commands, creating cache folders the game forgot to make and custom configuration files.

Cmon, at least help your customers a little, this is just not cool.

PS:
My first reaction to RAGE was rage, or what I thought was close to rage, ironic. The game looked worse than an amateur Unreal 3 engine game with poorly optimized texture streaming. I run i7 930 with two ASUS ENGTX480 cards in SLI, total 3gigs of video memory and 12gigs of ram, Windows 7 64 and a bunch of SSD drives. I think I should be able to scale the game configuration appropriately so it does not treat my system as an Xbox 360 with its "smart" auto detection system, without having to spend hours dancing around my PC chanting some obscure spells trying to summon demons and sacrificing my precious time which I have so little of.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
theonlyblaze2 said:
*raises hand* Hi. Yeah, quick question: Is the Xbox version this bad? Cause I still kinda want it...
If the metacritic score is anything to go by, nope.

Jun 11, 2008
I know this is one of the flaws with PC gaming but you can only blame drivers so much and the texture pop up lag is horrendously bad looking at the video along with some of those other disgraceful screen shots.

The game could have been better tested.

I do have to ask what is with the options menu for graphics? This isn't or shouldn't be a console game as PC gamers like and need to change and play around with graphics to find the sweet spot for their computer to run the game with their preferred balance of performance and graphics.

I suppose only a PC dev would think to put this kinda stuff in though.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Choo choo here comes the console port hate train, chugga chugga choo choo!

Honestly this this is something that should have been caught in testing. They must have only used their own development machines and not branched out to other system. Depending on how abundant the problem is, that ranges from understandable to unforgivable in testing.

Eggbert

Jun 9, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
I enjoyed the part where he tried to change his graphics settings. I haven't seen an options menu so barren since The Force Unleashed came to PC.
I laughed at it, too. Particularly at the way he lets us see it for a second, then, "I'd love to."

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
they cut out bits of the single player campaign and people expect them to care ... heh oh yeah that makes sense.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
totally not optimized for performance :/

wait what did I just say...lol I'm tired

still, feeling that Rage will help do what Borderlands isn't for me right now

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
I actually thought the slow rendering textures was in part due to my low-end pc being 4 years old now (despite the fact that I can play pretty much everything on high to max on it) and the lack of any graphical settings coupled with the above mentioned issue a quirk of the new engine that automatically sort of adjusts it's detail level on the go in order to maintain a good framerate. But no, guess it's just a crappy game/driver. Sweet.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
I dunno man, the AMD beta drivers made a huge difference on my performance. I was getting 30-40fps, and now I get a solid 60 FPS with no texture pop-in at all. I get a few glitches here and there, but the game looks great otherwise.

That's just the nature of OpenGL on AMD cards. nVidia didn't have so many problems since their beta drivers were out before the game's release.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
Bethesda does not have a QA department. That's the only reason why something this shoddy could have been allowed to see the light of day. id Software may have developed it, but I think the publisher needs to see the final product before they hit the "launch" button.

ciasteczkowyp

May 3, 2011
Mkay, then I seem to have been wrong. Sorry guys, I thought that rage was made by the same guys responsible for fallouts.