Graphics Card Drivers To Blame For Rage's PC "Issues"

anian

Sep 10, 2008
There's the "Hmm, the game seems to not be working correctly. Oh, look, I haven't updated my graphic card drivers in a while...oh, good, that fixed it." and then there's "you stupid users, you have to wait for a new driver to be made in order to play the game" - Rage creators, publishers, porters and all you buisness executives and managers that don't understand the buisness or the creativity behind games but still get the big money, you don't see the difference and I hope some day you get slapped so hard that you do.

For now though, I won't be buying your game and I'm glad I didn't preorder.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
You only need to play this once to realize this is a console port.

If the trash FOV isn't enough for you, just look at the giant objects in the foreground (so you can see everything from your TV guys!), or the horrible texture streaming. "Oh my, the background and vistas are pretty, but... the stuff right in front of me is from 1998. Must be my drivers... *rolls eyes*."

Don't take my word for it. Read any of the myriad of articles and interviews describing how console was lead development, straight from Carmack's mouth. There is even an interview where he said leading on console was a mistake, and that he wants to prioritize PC gaming in future projects.

Also, the concept of "automatic graphics settings" with no user-input, has never worked, ever, in the history of ever. So why did they think this would be a good idea? They should have made an extensive list of in-game video options, and an Automatic Settting on by default for people who don't have a clue. You know why there are no video options? BECAUSE IT WAS A FUCKING CONSOLE PORT. Fuck. How the mighty id hath fallen.

Valok

Nov 17, 2010
Annnnd it's because of this kind of crap that Skyrim isn't pre-ordered.

commodorejohn

Oct 16, 2009
Remember when iD Software was the go-to source for kickass PC gaming and could fall back on a workable software renderer when driver issues reared their ugly heads? I do...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Wow. It's finally happened. A game developer has become a forum troll.

All they need to do is add in "it works fine on MY computer" for bonus dickery effect.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Kakulukia said:
There's a shitload of texture pop-in on PS3 as well, so my guess is id screwed up big fucking time.
It's the same story as usual. PC and PS3 takes a backseat to XBox360 development.

*sigh*
Yea, considering this game was produced by Bethesda, I was expecting that to be the completely messed up version. I guess it's just the "next to worst" messed up version because the pc version is unplayable.

I know id is the developer but as the publisher, Bethesda should be testing this stuff before okaying it and it doesn't seem like they do. Or maybe they do, but only on the 360.

I hear MS is likely to throw a tantrum if the 360 version isn't as good as the other versions but devs can at least try and make the other versions just as good... or are they not even allowed to do that?

Honestly, I would've actually gotten a 360 if it didn't have the online fee and a 50% malfunction rate (at the time I was shopping around) but I didn't really think the competition would be as badly sandbagged as it has been this whole gen...not that the fee and waiting for replacements would've been worth it either.

Video games just seem to suck all over this gen. What happened? Did the industry really peak with the last generation?

Valok said:
Annnnd it's because of this kind of crap that Skyrim isn't pre-ordered.
Exactly.
Before publishers continue to ***** & whine about gamers not buying their new $60 games, they should first take a whiff if the shit they've been shoveling.

Sud0_x

Dec 16, 2009
No shit. One look at the screenshots that went up in that thread yesterday told me it was a driver issue.

Game isn't broken. While this is unfortunate, it just is not uncommon at all for a game to have driver issues on release.

Omitting graphics options is incredibly lame but, again, it isn't new and there are workarounds.

After initial interest I won't be picking this up, mostly due to the long development cycle and waning interest over time. Also that dodgy used sales business and general bad vibes leading up to release.

There are mixed reviews out there but damn, these problems are temporary and are out of id's hands.

Before you get all sky is falling, lazy console ports blah blah blah... I'm actually one of you.
But driver issues? Really? I know it sucks, I've been there, but it IS only temporary.

Bioware still gets my 2011 award for biggest kick in the nuts to a legacy.
Edit: Wondering who Blizzard's competition will be for next year's award.
*Disclaimer* Written in jest.

kiri2tsubasa said:
This is what I see every time they try to play it on PC.

Rage.1683.2 win-x86 Release Oct 3 2011 11:22:59

---------------------------
1 CPU package, 4 cores, 8 total logical processors
2 MHz Intel CPU with MMX & SSE & SSE2 & SSE3 & HTT & EM64T
32768 kB L1, 262144 kB L2 cache, 6291456 kB L3 cache
6080 MB System Memory
0 MB Video Memory
What is this I don't even..... :p

Driver issues. Quick google search shows that Nvidia's latest help a bit but the issue isn't solved yet.

Hang in there guys. Hoping to see some honest, unbiased, user reviews appear soon! If anyone has done or is planning one then feel free to quote me here.

Zay-el

Apr 4, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
I enjoyed the part where he tried to change his graphics settings. I haven't seen an options menu so barren since The Force Unleashed came to PC.
I salute your ninja skills.

Sud0_x

Dec 16, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Yeah, well you stupid fuckers, its your fucking job to make the damn game work. AMD and ATI did not develop this game, you had the drivers and knew how to do it right but didnt, because you suck.

I dont care if Bethesda or ID or ATI are responsible for this, I just want them to know they lost 60 bucks. Cunts.
I think you mean AMD/Nvidia and it kinda is their job to deal with these things.

You're an angry person...

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
OpenGL has been dead in game land for over 8 years now and ID are dabbling in necromancy.

Back in the dark days of the Geforce FX series, openGL was still a factor, but nowadays you cannot even blame AMD/ATI anymore for having shitty OGL drivers.

Also that doesn't explain why nvidia is borked aswell. You'd think ID would have tested Rage with atleast 1 hardware vendor.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
And this is why I mostly gave up on the AAA industry. With indie games, I can buy a game with this many problems and woefully inadequate testing for only five bucks! All the pain and annoyance at a $55 discount!

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Been a PC gamer for about the last ten years and I think I'm getting to the point where I just don't even care anymore to continue upgrading my PC for gaming. I have been a huge supporter of Id since Doom but if even they can't properly optimize their engine and provide options for changing graphics settings then I have very little hope for any other developer to do so. As much as I don't want to admit that PC gaming is slowly dying I think its really becoming more and more apparent that developers either don't know how to make a proper PC game or just don't care.

I have been looking forward to Rage for years and even though the game is fun to play and looks great it will forever be the game for me that nailed the last coffin on PC gaming for me. If developers aren't going to take PC gaming seriously anymore then I guess its time to hit the store and get an Xbox. If every game is going to look the same across all platforms then there is no point and continuing upgrading my PC.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
veloper said:
OpenGL has been dead in game land for over 8 years now and ID are dabbling in necromancy.

Back in the dark days of the Geforce FX series, openGL was still a factor, but nowadays you cannot even blame AMD/ATI anymore for having shitty OGL drivers.

Also that doesn't explain why nvidia is borked aswell. You'd think ID would have tested Rage with atleast 1 hardware vendor.
Nah, I meant AMD and ATI because I thought it was only their cards that were having the problems. Well, seems like they are having the major issues but nVidia cards are having trouble too, which is just further evidence that someone at id has not done their fucking job.

And yeah, im pretty fucking pissed about this because I had decided that I would buy this game. I was looking forward to it. And now this shit doesnt work. Its like having a present whipped away from you. Anyhow, im not nearly as pissed as I would be if I had preordered this game.
What really baffles me is why a port from the Xbox360 uses OpenGL instead of directX.

Nothing is easier to just keep using directX. ID must have just been hobbying for their own curiosity.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
Oh Bethesda you scamp! Can't say I am shocked. The inevitable jokes about the name 'Rage' will make this somewhat better. (That, and I did not buy it)

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
veloper said:
veloper said:

Nah, I meant AMD and ATI because I thought it was only their cards that were having the problems. Well, seems like they are having the major issues but nVidia cards are having trouble too, which is just further evidence that someone at id has not done their fucking job.

And yeah, im pretty fucking pissed about this because I had decided that I would buy this game. I was looking forward to it. And now this shit doesnt work. Its like having a present whipped away from you. Anyhow, im not nearly as pissed as I would be if I had preordered this game.
What really baffles me is why a port from the Xbox360 uses OpenGL instead of directX.

Nothing is easier to just keep using directX. ID must have just been hobbying for their own curiosity.
I have no idea. ID always used OpenGL in the past, but you cant help but feel the PC version of RAGE is some freak experiment gone wrong. "Yeah guys, what would happen if you used a platform that hasnt been used in 10 years? And did a shitty job on top of that? Lets try it out on this project that cost millions of dollars and sells for 60 dollars a copy! So what if it goes wrong? Not like im a consumer, LOL!"
Maybe that's just what happens when you share a bed with Bethesda.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
id Software... I'm a dissapoint. I mean, you made some of the best games I've ever played, some of them wich I consider some of my favorite games of all time, with incredibly flexible engines (just look at the first Quake with Darkplaces) and an incredibly awesome support for your community... and now you're simply blaming other corporations for your shoddy work and charging $60 for it?.

Class act id.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
Snotnarok said:
DustArma[]
Snotnarok said:
Hey remember when Bethesta said they sometimes don't remove bugs when they're amusing? Well I think they also let them go by when they're not funny.
You are confusing the publisher side of Bethesda with the developer side which made that comment.
No, I'm not confusing anything I'm just making a rude comment about Bethesta releasing buggy as hell games. I'm aware Id made it but that's not as funny :p
It's not as funny either way becase id developed the game. Really it just made for an unfunny joke altogether.

It just make you look like you have no idea what you're talking about...

Who cares its a dumb joke scroll and move on, I don't care you don't like it. :)