Grats, you won the lottery.

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
10 Mil in blue-chip stocks. I can live off the interest.
10 Mil in tech stocks. Higher risk, but usually better rewards.
The rest goes to college funds for my niece, a fund to make sure my parents never get put into a home (they're well-off, but you never know.), I have several friends with stupid student debt/medical debt... Charity begins at home.

There'd be plenty left over; start a fund to reduce/buy off student debt for lower-class citizens that worked through college.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I would build myself a nice house with a gym a mini theatre and whatnot. I would give at least 25 mil to each of my parents and 5 mil to my grandparents to live comfortably for the rest of their lives and i would put the rest in a savings account for my children. And i doubt that i would give any of it to charities, most of it would get wasted on their CEO's fancy new car anyway.

Lilikins

Jan 16, 2014
After reading through all these posts, one definete thing that popped into my head haha...

Id build my 'gaming room' to be a panic room haha. lock myself in there and sorta...have my steam account accessible etc etc and be along the lines of 'wtv..do what you want...Ive got enough games in here to last me about a year. Then if I stock it up to the brim with a freezer/drink cabinett and mini bar.....(Cant forget the mini bar...) Id basically..yeah be set for a while haha^^ they can rummage whatever they want.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I'd keep my splurging to a few grand, and set up a 'Random shit' account with a few million.
The rest I'd hold onto in case I ever need it.
I don't care much for expensive holidays. I'd prefer a nice cozy room to read in or something.
I'd buy a property but definitely not for over a million bucks. I don't need it. I'd just treat my friends to random games and stuff on steam as well I guess.
I hope I'd have enough restraint to save the majority of it. Live off the interest or something.

Pay off my parents houses or something while I'm at it.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
In this scenario, are we getting the money right now, as in today? If so, I'd take a chunk of it and do everything possible to make sure my dying grandfather is comfortable for however long he has left.
Give $1 million to my parents. They're fairly well-off, but a large portion of their retirement fund was shot to hell by Bernie Madoff a few years back, and they haven't fully recovered from it.
Everyone here is saying they'd build a house. I don't really want to build a house, myself. I live in the city, so that's not really a viable option, and I don't want to move somewhere else since all my friends are in the area and my family's only an hour away. What I would do though is buy an apartment in that beautiful complex a few blocks from me. Two of my friends are living there, and it's quite lovely. Maybe also buy my current building from the landlord. Three nice (albeit a bit small) apartments in a beautiful neighborhood (and literally right next door to a school) is a good investment. Maybe invest in some other real estate, make a consistent flow of income from renting things out, so I don't end up with this eventually running dry.
I'd consider a car if the public transit system around here wasn't so thorough. It is, though, so a car would be unnecessary.
Definitely take $1,000 or so and build myself a powerful new gaming rig, something that will last me several years.
Set aside a few million just in case. Good to have some emergency money in case anything happens.
After all of that is settled--once I have a place to live, a decent computer, a steady income from real estate investments, and a sizable emergency fund--use the rest to start up a game company. By which I mean both video games and board games, since I have plenty ideas for both but can't feasibly make them a reality on my own.
I know I may be coming across as a bit selfish, not giving any of this $100 mil to charity or anything, but I'm rather fond of this Roman proverb: "medice cura te ipsum," or, "Doctor, heal thyself." One should make sure they're secure themselves before they put too much effort into aiding others. Once I have a more steady, sizable income going (hopefully from the game company), then I can start with the philanthropy.

False Messiah

Afflicted with DDDS
Jan 29, 2009
First the boring stuff. Half in the bank for passive income. A few mil to family. Buy a house, car, new pc, maid, chef cook, etc. Spoil my friends a bit by paying debts and giving out a few pcs.

After all the things to make me, my friendd, and family comfortable I would hit Kickstarter and start funding cool projects. I'd get my name and ideas in some cool games and on some cool gizmo's. Fly around the world to meet the different entrepreneurs that started the projects.

Maybe I'd start my own game studio with a few friends.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Easy, my own massive house in the middle of nowhere with a staff of people to make sure i never have to do anything i don't want to anymore! Then highly paid assassins to take out anyone i have a beef with :p

But seriously, 90% of it is going straight into the bank to grow and grow and grow! With the rest a nice place in the country, sort out my debts and friends and families debts, beyond that a nice quiet life with whatever luxuries i fancy.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
Well, first of all, I'd pay off my parents' debts and get us out of the hole.
Second, I'd put aside a few thousand dollars to get me through university. I wouldn't just quit school because I'm actually interested in what I'm doing, that being computer engineering.
Third, I'd buy video games and food and stuff. Nothing too fancy; why would I waste my money on fancy stuff that I'm not interested in when I could use it for things that I AM interested in and things that would actually keep me alive?
Fourth, I might use some for electronics parts to tinker with. I've been debating building a custom pair of fully modular headphones for myself, but I don't have enough experience with hardware to be confident that I could get it on my first try.
Additionally, I'd probably keep everything remaining in the bank in order to live off of the interest while using my time to do things that I think are fun or interesting.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
DizzyChuggernaut said:
cosmetic surgery to fix a few things (or maybe just the latter and hormone therapy, I am still conflicted about that)
Wait, I thought cosmetic usury was a part of the former. Cosmetic surgery and different hormone therapies together to achieve the transition?

No?

Frankster said:
Thirdly.. House party! I'll pay for the plane tickets ;)
Does this mean the escapist expo is back on in a way if you win? W00t!

I'll bring the beer and the magic the gathering decks.

Jesterscup

Sep 9, 2014
1 mil each to my friends and family, about 30 mil or so, if they spend it all it's their fault. With my kids 1mil each in trust funds, thats more than enough for them to have comfortable lives, the daily interest alone would be awesome.

2 mil for blowing, house, cars, a damn big party, etc. - and when I say damn big party, I mean it, this thing would be talked about in terms like the world fairs (this is me after all)...

I would set myself up in business, but just to keep me occupied rather than anything else. maybe 1 or 2 mil for that, get some people in to actually make it run, I just want a profitible workshop to play in...

10 mil set aside where I cannot touch it, 10 mil to my wife, again so I cannot touch it.

so I've got what? 40 mil left, even in the bank thats is a silly income, that'll do me.

I wouldn't give any to charity, though I probably would set up for large amounts of the interest to go to charity, and what money is there when I die does the same, it stays in the bank and the interest goes to charity, I've already been very generous with those who would want my inheritance anyway, and in the long run it's more money for the charities.

ZedOmega

Nothing To See Here
Aug 20, 2014
Well...

First thing that'd have to be done if I end up so lucky is to pay off pretty much every outstanding debt I can think of, and hire someone to track down the debts I might have forgotten about. From there, health insurance and life insurance policies that guarantee that everyone in the house is backed up if they need it. Follow that up with a full physical, with any treatments that might be needed.

Once that's taken care of, new house. Nothing too huge; it's just three people and a pair of Basset hounds in this house, so maybe just a 4-bedroom with a large yard so the dogs can run around. Need a decent internet connection for gaming and whatnot, so speaking with one of the more reliable companies out there about a high-end connection would be the next step.

Of course, we've gotta have a decent-sized barbecue pit for the backyard, because fuck yeah brisket.

Once all that is taken care of, then the series of investments to make sure it lasts as long as possible begins, in addition to setting aside around $3k or so for a gaming rig that'd run pretty much anything for the next ten years or so and $20k for road trips.

BigTuk said:
Well that or an island volcano doom summer vacation home...of DOOOOOM
Pfft, island bases are passé. The big thing is jungle fortresses nowadays.

ZedOmega

Nothing To See Here
Aug 20, 2014
BigTuk said:
ZedOmega said:
BigTuk said:
Well that or an island volcano doom summer vacation home...of DOOOOOM
Pfft, island bases are passé. The big thing is jungle fortresses nowadays.
I never said fortress I said Summer Home.. you ever been in the jungle in summer.. it is not pleasant and while the naturallly occuring swarms of blood sucking parasites and disease carrying vermin are nice it's not where you want to take the kids on Vacay... other wise you'll have nothing but 'Daaaad Billy put barbie in the leech tank again' 'Did not booger brain'

Seriously who wants that. Island vacation doom homes are much nicer... I mean they'll be too busy playing with the laser mounted sharks to bother you and the Missus.
Very true... and I just realized the costs of keeping a jungle base summer home air-conditioned.

Hmm. I might have to hire engineers to develop a way to use rainfall to keep the costs of summer home-wide HVAC systems down. This is gonna hurt. :/

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
T0ad 0f Truth said:
Does this mean the escapist expo is back on in a way if you win? W00t!
To be Frank (which I am) if it increases my chances of this happening then yes, if I win such an amount of money I pledge to host the mother of all escapist expos.

Heck I'll even buy you some magic packs if you want. Free magic booster packs for all! Guests are welcome to bring their own supply but I'd also cover the beverages. I don't even care if my new house gets utterly wrecked, I'll just hire a cleaning crew the day after ^^

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
T0ad 0f Truth said:
DizzyChuggernaut said:
cosmetic surgery to fix a few things (or maybe just the latter and hormone therapy, I am still conflicted about that)
Wait, I thought cosmetic usury was a part of the former. Cosmetic surgery and different hormone therapies together to achieve the transition?
Facial Feminisation Surgery is considered a separate procedure, sometimes a non-essential procedure (so it won't necessarily be covered by the "main" surgery).

Here's a video going into detail about it and the general situation in the UK

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Build an exact replica of the Bates motel, and live in it. If you're gonna have enough money to be eccentric, why not scare the neighbors a little?

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
I would buy TizzyTheTormentor a potato of his very own.

And staika a bag of eggs.

Then I would upgrade my rig, buy a nice house, etc

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Split a quarter of it on my family, put the rest into a bank to save up until 2030 when I officially announce my candidacy for President of the USA. Then spend all of it (and whatever else I've made in that amount of time) on the campaign.