Great Fictional Speeches

Jul 10, 2013
Simply put, what are your favorite speeches from fiction. It can be from a game, a movie, tv show, whatever.

I personally choose The Eleventh Doctor's speech in The Rings of Akhaten. Just an absolute joy to listen to.

ItouKaiji

May 14, 2013
I like the bitter and dark speeches from Kaiji that speak to the darker more cynical side of humanity.

I think there's a lot of truth in what Tonegawa says but it's just said in the nastiest, meanest way possible.

BeoW0lfe

Jan 31, 2013
Is this even a contest? Captain Kirrahe from Mass Effect. He taught us all how to hold the line.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
I always really dug this speech and ensuing charge:

Really one of the coolest moments in cinema

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
"Canceling the Apocalypse" speech by Idris Elba's character in Pacific Rim. Despite how cheesy that line sounds, the way he delivers it is just so god damn epic. Just freaking listen!
<youtube=u6mibo7Zh50>

Lionsfan said:
I always really dug this speech and ensuing charge:

Really one of the coolest moments in cinema
OH YEAH! That one! That speech was incredible.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
G'Kar's speech to the Babylon 5 Council after the Centauri conquered his world for the second time.

Starting here at about 2 minutes in.

Short and powerful.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
My brother likes the speech given by V in the studio broadcast in V for Vendetta. Now we watch it every November 5th.

On a similar note the whole Dark Knight Trilogy had lots of good speeches by both hero and villain, something that some people didn't like- too much talk. Given the inclusion of other media however, I'd have to give the award to Vito Corleone's last speech in The Godfather, the succinct summary of the entire purpose of his business and ethics, truly from the heart. The movie abbreviates it severely for time constraints, but it's still excellent.

Lynx

Jul 24, 2009
Bill's speech from Kill Bill, Part 2.

As you know, I?m quite keen on comic books. Especially the ones about superheroes. I find the whole mythology surrounding superheroes fascinating.
Take my favorite superhero, Superman. Not a great comic book. Not particularly well-drawn. But the mythology? The mythology is not only great, it?s unique.
Now, a staple of the superhero mythology is, there?s the superhero and there?s the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When that character wakes up in the morning, he?s Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man. And it is in that characteristic Superman stands alone.
Superman didn?t become Superman. Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he?s Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red ?S? ? that?s the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears ? the glasses, the business suit ? that?s the costume. That?s the costume Superman wears to blend in with us.
Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent? He?s weak? He?s unsure of himself? He?s a coward.
Clark Kent is Superman?s critique on the whole human race.

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009

Definitely my favorite. I remember when I first played Killzone. I saw this intro come up and my first thought was "Sweet, our leader gives a mean speech." Then towards the middle I was getting worried and by the final 40 seconds or so, I was all "Not our leader, not our leader. TO THE TRENCHES !"

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
I have a lot, but the only one coming to mind right now is Buffy's speech from the episode "Bring on the Night" in season seven. I can't find a clip of it, but here it is:

"I'm beyond tired. I'm beyond scared. I'm standing on the mouth of Hell and it is going to swallow me whole.

And it'll choke on me.

We're not ready? They're not ready. They think we're gonna wait for the end to come, like we always do. I'm done waiting. They want an apocalypse? Well, we'll give 'em one. Anyone else who wants to run, do it now, 'cause we just became an army. We just declared war. From now on, we won't just face our worst fears, we will seek them out. We will find them, and cut out their hearts, one by one, until the First shows itself for what it really is. And I'll kill it myself. There is only one thing on this earth more powerful than evil. And that's us. Any questions?"

kyuzo3567

Jan 31, 2011
How has this not been mentioned yet? This series is full of great speeches and such, but this one has to be my favourite among them.

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
It's not very creative on my part, but I do love Tyrion's speech. He doesn't talk them up, he tells the truth.

?Don?t fight for your king, don?t fight for his kingdoms, don?t fight for honor, don?t fight for glory, don?t fight for riches because you won?t get any. This is your city Stannis means to sack, your gate he?s ramming. If he gets in, it will be your houses he burns, your gold he steals, your women he will rape. Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let?s go kill them!?

I don't feel like digging through the books to see if it matches word for word from the show.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
A thread about fictional speeches and noone mentions this badboy:

Internet you have dissapointed me

Edit: or this one

mrjoe94

Sep 28, 2009
Because I just started watching Game of Thrones' first season, this one is still in my mind:

"And to my son, the stallion who will mount the world, I will also pledge a gift. I will give him the iron chair that his mothers father sat upon. I will give The Lands of the Andals. I, Drogo, will do this. I will take my khalasar west to where the world ends and ride wooden horses across the black salt sea as no khal has done before. I will kill the men in iron suits and tear down their stone houses. I will rape their women, take their children as slaves and bring their broken gods back to Vaes Dothrak. This i vow Drogo son of Bharbo. I swear before the mother of mountains as the stars look down in witness. As the stars look down in witness!"

Apart from the raping of the women that is......that was a bit of a WTF? moment.

ManaAdvent

Apr 16, 2010
My word this was an amazing soul-crushing speech in anime villainy.

Here's also a strangely beautiful speech from a crazy Tart Toter. Only in Adventure Time that this can work well: