Greatest Game Opening EVER!!!!

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Elmoth said:
Troublesome Lagomorph said:
On an epic scale, I'd have to go with Gears of War 2 or Gears of War 3, even though that was kind of a rehash or 1 and 2. God of War is also fucking epic, but I haven't played the series enough tbh. My PS2 is getting dusty...
As for my personal preference...
What's so great about that animation? It's way too simple, it's generic anime, nothing happens and the song is dull.

Here's two of my favorites:

Also, these:

/thread.
I'm not sure you actually READ my post. I said on an epic (as in, great animation, flashy, cool, blah blah blah), Gears of War and God of War win. I said as in my preference, Persona 3 wins. Why? I really like it. Its as simple as that. It doesn't have to impress you.

Senor Smoke21

May 23, 2008
dimensional said:
Anyway the best game opening [b/]ever[/b] is this

Im glad we are all in agreement ok you can close the thread now.
Oh my god, that was like a shot of nostalgia straight to the brain!
Calibre can suck a dick, Blade was where it was at!

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Ocelano said:
Topic title says it all seeking the greatest game opening ever can be an opening cutscene gameplay bit or anything really just the greatest game opener you can think of. Now to end this topic by placing the unbeatable answer straight off the bat

ENOUGH SAID CASE CLOSED now inviting rebuttal
This is not the opening sequence for Dawn of War, thus it is incorrect. The only valid answer in this topic is:

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Shadow Of The Colossus [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRnIRjV1-Ow]

I think I'm done here *dusts off hands*.

Though to add some content, I knew nothing of the game going in. Knew a vague premise, but nothing else to expect. The intro took my heart.

Noxman

Mar 4, 2010
I'm amazed no one has mentioned

Probably not the greatest ever but a personal favourite for nostalgia factor!

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I'd say Bioshock has the best intro ever.
It's absolutely perfect in every way. From the crash, to finding the old lighthouse with faded music playing, to Andrew Ryan's presentation of his objectivist paradise, to finally beholding the city itself. Everything flows brilliantly, the music is spot-on for every instance in which it is used. A great intro to a great game.

F.E.A.R also had a great intro. It brilliantly sets the scene for the entire game, and instigates a desire to understand what's going on. It's just a shame that we don't get to hear Peter Laurie (Fettel's voice actor) in the opening. Monolith is great at making really neurotic characters, and they always pick the best voice actors for them.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Saviordd1 said:
DJjaffacake said:
You effing die
I gotta go with this, it would have been even better if Bioware didn't talk about it so much.

HAI GAUIS! YOU DIE IN THE FIRST 5 MINUTES! HUGE TWIST RITEEE?

Umm yeah but you just ruined it.

HUGEEE TWISTTTT
didn't affect me, really, as I didn't know shit about ME2 up until 5 months of it being released (yeah I've been living in a cave of sorts) so it worked for me, although I did play ME before it

Noxman said:
I'm amazed no one has mentioned

Probably not the greatest ever but a personal favourite for nostalgia factor!
this one too, I really loved it for nostalgia reasons
and then Quake 3 came out and I didn't know anymore if the Quake 2 protagonist was either Bitterman or Grunt =P

as for my own pick
I loved how it showed the actual war going on between the UAC and the Hellspawn, before Taggart was sent in =P

also, that theme rocks

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009

A perfect intro for a fantastic game.

captcha: road less traveled.

What a very fitting captcha for this game.

Rodrigo Girao

May 13, 2011
X-Men 2: Clone Wars, the only game (afaik) to use a cold open. That is, the game starts as soon as you turn on the console, and you only get the title screen after beating the first level.

eventhorizon525

Sep 14, 2010
Darknacht said:
Elmoth said:
This.
Also this is a good one.
Only recently played Arcanum, but I have to agree that that intro was really good for the setting (and further helped by the character creator).

Also, I have to throw in another vote for the original Dawn of War's intro, still looks better than it had any right being.

And Diablo II's intro mostly for the heavy nostalgia factor.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
This OP actually SOLD ME ON THE GAME:

I can't think of another game, outside of...MAYBE...Persona 3, that's done that.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States

This always gives me chills when I see it.

Great short story turned into a great point-and-click game

The author, Harlan Ellison, even played AM! That's awesome! :D