Greatest Game Opening EVER!!!!

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
Midnight Llamaman said:
Other than that, I'm not sure - Freespace 2 had a pretty bad ass opener. I mean hell, but I'm pretty sure that's my favourite game ever so I'm a bit biased. Volition used to be so boss, even more boss than they are now.
Personally I prefer FS1 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflict_FreeSpace]'s intro. It looked so graphically impressive back when I first played it, and it really blew me away. FS2 never managed that.
I would also be convinced that it was just nostalgia, but I have replayed both Freespace 1 and 2 several times recently, and they are both just as good as I remember them.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
JoesshittyOs said:
You managed to pause it right after the theme song played it's opening?

That takes some major willpower.
Don`t think it`s major willpower. Major willpower would have been to avoid any news, trailers and previews and then play the game after release. I`m still weak... but also hyped i mean it`s MAX PAYNE.
I give my videostore a call now, maybe i`m lucky.

Edit(i`m starting to get a bit offtopic, i`ll change it)
MGS games always had nice intros.
Batman Arkham Asylums intro + the playable part with the whole delivering of the Joker is also one of my favorites.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
The first time you get attacked in the original Homeworld

Skip to about 2:20

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I'll admit, I liked the first chunk of The Darkness 2's intro. I don't know who the coked-up Woody Allen is supposed to be, but the character was strangely appropriate and the voice actor did a great job. Between that and the positives from Yahtzee's review, I may just get that game once it's cheaper.

As for the best intro I've seen? That's a tough one. I tend to care less about intro cutscenes than the actual gameplay. Hell, the good RPGs from BioWare pretty much combine the two.

And now that I think about it, I think the best intro I've seen was that of Dragon Age 2. I really like how they had Varric's narrtion be tied to the gameplay in that way (and it didn't just happen in the intro, either). Overall it was one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
If the entire first level counts then God of War 3. Violently murdering Poseidon in the first 20 minutes was pretty bad-ass.

If not then inFamous 2, watching Empire City explode around you was damn cool.

d_wing

Mar 7, 2012

This, I can still remember the state of awe seeing this intro induced in me when I started the game for the first time.

This one is almost as epic, though

EDIT: can anyone explain why the thumbnails for the videos I posted don't show?

gnihton

Mar 18, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmZEI_JIm3k&ob=av3n

Bioshock's was rather good, especially when you consider the subtlety of what was written on the card of the present.

In response to the OP in particular, the first Darkness had a superior opening. It actually set the atmosphere, only mentioning anything supernatural in the cryptic sentence "That was the first time I died" which let the player know that there was certainly more to come while not breaking the immersion in the visceral world that they are placed in, unlike The Darkness 2 which shows no restraint, subtlety, or regard for atmosphere. There were times in the darkness 2's opening that I actually laughed a little.

I think that's what makes a good opening, subtlety and accurately setting the scene in a suitable manner that lets the player feel immersed due to it being at least partially interactive, and having a slow(er) build up rather than being thrown into a fight scene (The Darkness, the Half Life games, Bioshock, System Shock 2, Escape from Butcher Bay).
A bad opening is akin to that of the darkness 2, making the player sit through a non-interactive cutscene while a single character (although a well acted one in this case) spouts over the top action movie lines in a pretence of badassery, saying "THIS IS COOL ENJOY IT NOW" rather than letting the player get an appreciation for the game.

I suppose that rant I just accidentally produced applies more to opening sequences as a whole rather than just opening 'cutscenes', but I've seen Bioshock noted so I assume sequences are fair game here (?).

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
neonsword13-ops said:
Every opening pales in comparison to Persona 3 & 4.
Don't forget Persona 3 Fes and Portable
And here's Tales of Vesperia and both Kingdom Hearts games.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
d_wing said:
http://youtu.be/rTFLRhV2vI8

This, I can still remember the state of awe seeing this intro induced in me when I started the game for the first time.

http://youtu.be/ELoH5p6VYvY

You have to type ["youtube"=] minus the speech marks and insert everything after the slash in your link inbetween the = and the ] it should look like this (Press quote and you can see the actual code.)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
"This is Rupture Farms..."

The greatest opening line I've ever heard in a game.

d_wing

Mar 7, 2012
DustlessDragoon said:
d_wing said:
http://youtu.be/rTFLRhV2vI8

http://youtu.be/ELoH5p6VYvY

You have to type ["youtube"=] minus the speech marks and insert everything after the slash in your link inbetween the = and the ] it should look like this (Press quote and you can see the actual code.)
I see! Thank you very much, kind sir!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Djinn8 said:
This is probably my favorite:

Does a really good job of introducing all the charactors, who they are and what they are fighting for, while being well edited and having a score that gets you pumped to play the game and kick some ass.
That also my favourite and also this-

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
you have it right there my friend. that cut scene still gives me goosebumps
nikki191 said:
Zipa said:
The first time you get attacked in the original Homeworld

Skip to about 2:20
you have it right there my friend. that cut scene still gives me goosebumps
Same for me, I think part of it is down to the awesome way that Karan S'jet says almost disbelieving about being under attack.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
Modern Warfare had a pretty good opening. OK, so it was the 3rd level, but it introduced us to the world. Showed us the chaos of the world. On the brink. That and GTA IV. I just love how we get the introduction to the Diamonds and Heroin right off the bat.