GREEDo Shoots First

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Curse your mangey hide, George Lucas....
I'd heard the rumours, but this just makes me want to vomit.

Not the webcomic, the release in 3D, mind you :p

Best one for a couple of weeks, actually.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
hahhaaa oh man that's be hilarious
I've been a Star Wars all my life basically, but I'm having trouble keeping up with all the new stuff they keep pumping out
so I don't really care too much, enjoy stuff when I can, you know?
people can't seem to adopt a non-worshipful attitude (it's how one enjoys Halo while remaining a member of this community)

Cory Rydell

Feb 4, 2010
BehattedWanderer said:
Grey Carter said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Grey Carter said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Lupin the Third reference? Crazy!
There is?
...was it not? A spring loaded boxing glove coming out of Han's crotch? That is what that is, is it not?
Actually he was supposed to be shooting it out of his gun. I'll have to talk to Cory about that one. Which film does he shoot a boxing glove out of his crotch though? I can't remember that one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm99tmzmXkk

There's the video I was thinking of. It's after they introduce Lupin.
i think i saw it first in an episode of furi kuri, it was probably a reference to lupin but i didnt watch that until later. and truthfully the crotch thing was totally by accident, if i had moved the picture over a little more to the right you could have seen that its coming from his gun at his side... kinda...

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
foxyexplosion said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Grey Carter said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Grey Carter said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Lupin the Third reference? Crazy!
There is?
...was it not? A spring loaded boxing glove coming out of Han's crotch? That is what that is, is it not?
Actually he was supposed to be shooting it out of his gun. I'll have to talk to Cory about that one. Which film does he shoot a boxing glove out of his crotch though? I can't remember that one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm99tmzmXkk

There's the video I was thinking of. It's after they introduce Lupin.
i think i saw it first in an episode of furi kuri, it was probably a reference to lupin but i didnt watch that until later. and truthfully the crotch thing was totally by accident, if i had moved the picture over a little more to the right you could have seen that its coming from his gun at his side... kinda...
Yup. They actually reference it in that episode, making fun of the one-time appearance of the Green Jacket. But, hey, if it's a FLCL reference instead, I'm totally cool with that too. Furi Kuri is pretty awesome...

ReinofFire

Jun 30, 2009
As we know Han is a smuggler, looking out for himself and perfectly content with backstabbing some of his freinds (excluding Chewbacca of course) to make money. What we know of Greedo is that he is a trained killer, a bounty hunter that clearly has met Han before and knows what he is capable of. Now, as we see in the scene, they start a conversation. Han knows that Greedo is here for the bounty but due to the fact that he is a smuggler and not a bounty hunter himself, he wants to resolve this peacefully. Greedo on the other hand doesn't care because he knows he will be paid anyway. For all you people who say "where is the logic in that" just think, why would the Empire want Han alive? There would be no point whatsoever in keeping Han alive, so whether Greedo shot him or not they would still get rid of the smuggler.

Now, Greedo is getting impatient, frustrated that right when he meets his bounty he is unable to do anything due to the conversation they were having. He shoots, misses, then Han shoots. At the range they were at it may seem impossible to miss but put into account how innaccurate the blasters were in the first place and the fact that the elevated stress level could have caused Greedo to curve over to the reckless side, we cannot deny that Greedo missing was possible.

Now that that problem has a more realistic look to it rather than a "No, Han shoots first because thats how the movie was made", it can put into perspective how much thought could have been put into it.

Or, you know, they could have just changed it to make it family friendly.

Now to mention on Critical Miss. Why is it that I am both mad at them yet amused at their comics? They make fun of things on a Yahtzee level (which is in itself funny) but I can't help but think that (like Yahtzee) they are overdoing the douchebaggery of it. hmm.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
ReinofFire said:
Now, as we see in the scene, they start a conversation. Han knows that Greedo is here for the bounty but due to the fact that he is a smuggler and not a bounty hunter himself, he wants to resolve this peacefully. Greedo on the other hand doesn't care because he knows he will be paid anyway. For all you people who say "where is the logic in that" just think, why would the Empire want Han alive? There would be no point whatsoever in keeping Han alive, so whether Greedo shot him or not they would still get rid of the smuggler.
Greedo didn't want Han dead because Greedo wasn't working for the Empire, he was working for Jabba the Hutt who quite clearly wants Solo alive. Boba Fett mentions this in Empires. "He's no good to me dead."

Saioon

Aug 25, 2010
To be honest I used to care about this but don't any more.

George Lucas hasn't made anything I have enjoyed since 1989. I missed the cinema re-release of the original Star Wars so was hugely dissapointed when I bought the DVD box set when it first come out to find Lucas had made changes for the worse (my original VHS being before the dark times). I was glad when they released the original versions (although as an extra) and now I have them George Lucas is not going to get another penny out of me so I can ignore everything he does, unless he releases Willow in 3D, then I might be interested.

MrPatience

Mar 25, 2009
Deathlyphil said:
Yensei said:
GrinningManiac said:
Still don't understand the significance of whatsisface shooting first or not. Why does it matter?
Because it turns Solo in to a justified wimp instead of a dangerous outlaw? I guess...
Pretty much. It defines Han's character for the first film. When he shoots first it shows that he is dangerous and unpredictable. Therefore Luke and Obi Wan have chosen the wrong person to protect them. It brings in uncertainty and doubt, and makes his transformation at the end of the film much more important.
I always felt, once I discovered it, that the fact Han shoots first completely changes his character. The noble hero can't shoot first, it doesn't work that way. And from there on everything Han did appeared to have ulterior motives.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Sgt. Sykes said:
Hope Lucas doesn't see this, or he'll get ideas.
The sad thing is, it's so true that he would. Though if he does pull this, every Star Wars fan in the world will personally track him down and smack him upside the head.

megalomania said:
Grey Carter said:
GREEDo Shoots First

No, it was Han!

Read Full Article
You missed a trick with this one:

'Damnit Greedo you're shooting like a Stormtrooper!'

Eitherway, funny stuff!
True, and very good pun, but Stormtroopers do get lucky once in a while. Like on Tantive IV when they stormed the door and wiped out the Rebel guard, or on the Forest Moon of Endor when that one Stromtrooper got Leah in the arm with his blaster.

Generally, their marksmanship training tends to disappear when you can see them, but you have to give them some credit.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Hardcore_gamer said:
How? How does Solo not shooting a defenseless alien make him look less dangerous then a Solo that survives a murder attempt?
Simple. Because a Han Solo who survives a murder attempt is acting in self defense. His actions are justifiable to anyone. A Han solo who shoots a defenseless alien first IS a murderer. And he murders so damn casually. He cracks a joke. And no less, murder is his first recourse. You really can't see the difference?

I know, and this one doesn't. If anything, Han shooting Gringo (in both versions) is probably one of the most insignificant moments in the film since it has next to no impact on the story line whatsoever. In neither version of the film does the murder have any real impact on the story, it just sort of happens and then its done. The scenes that truly define the characters are where the heroes/villains do something that heavily impacts the story in some way, and Han shooting Gringo isn't one of them.
Okay dude, first it's Greedo. It's in the thread title for God sakes. Secondly, I said nothing about the "story-line". There's more to a film than the plot. It's a defining moment of characterization that makes Han more dangerous and when Obi-Wan leaves Luke in his care we don't know what's going to happen to Luke.

I don't have to be objective anymore then I want to. I hate the Star Wars fanboys, I make no apologies for it.
That doesn't mean you can't form an opinion independent of what you think of them. It also doesn't mean that complaining about the differences equates to being a fanboy. You yourself offered the anecdote about watching the films to see what had changed, as though you were giving the originals a fair chance. As if to say you're a reasonable guy. Your hatred ensured that the outcome was predetermined. And with statements like "I don't have to be any more objective than I want to." and your judgmental nature on what constitutes a fanboy you're anything but reasonable. Your obstinance is rife with irony, you're as belligerent as the fanboys you hate so much. You've done a fine job of coming off as a dim-witted oaf. At this point you need only use the words "real americans" to make the semblance replete.

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
Well another film remake I will not watch. I'm just done with remakes and rereleases. Each and every one is some jerks attempt to say, "Hey I can do this whole film with better special effects and graphics!".

Yeah just one problem that doesn't make it a better film or story.

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
I guessing Elliot is duct taped to the chair because he told Erin he'd never seen Star Wars. Yeah, what a freak. Also, I love how she's flipping off the screen.

Another funny thing. Joss Whedon stated that he hated that change so much he made sure that Malcolm Reynolds shot an unarmed person four different times in Serenity.