GRIN Alleges Square Enix Forced It Out of Business

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Odd demands"... ? From a Japanese developer?
Sounds impossible to me!

They are not odd at all, what with the cosplay, maid cafes, hostess bars, Atlas beetles as pets and hentai :)

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
Bit more digging to go with my tech demo vid I found, Fortress was to be set in Ivalice, and feature Queen Ashe... art follows...

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
I don't know I assume it's possible to fax over the source code since. It's the typed code and not binary

public int return_number(int number){
return number;
}

That could be faxed over or emailed easy.

And faxing music is simple if you just send the note sheets so it's not that unreasonable.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Arehexes said:
I don't know I assume it's possible to fax over the source code since. It's the typed code and not binary

return number;
}

And faxing music is simple if you just send the note sheets so it's not that unreasonable.
Yes, but they said the music FILES.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
Dectilon said:
Arehexes said:

return number;
}

Yes, but they said the music FILES.
I would have just send them in a email saying saying that faxing music files is nothing but binary/hex and would not be readable. This is the legal team that was requesting this not any of the programmers from my understanding, so maybe they didn't know what they were talking about.

For example, Square Enix started complaining about Fortress's Nordic style, though it was what Square Enix had asked for. Square Enix also told GRIN it should have been filing its milestone work with its legal department instead of the arm it was filed to, said to be an unusual request.
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't know what would happen if you faxed a music file to be perfectly honest because they field of training wasn't computers or programing

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
Blitzwing said:
GiantRedButton said:
MasaVK said:
SquareEnix has also had lots of problems lately with their games too,
they have all sucked, last good game was they made was FFX.
FFX was squaresoft, Square Enix started developing FF with Final Fantasy X-2, after they bought squaresoft and replaced squares talent with enix personal.
Incidentally that was the point when they started to suck.
What is the bloody difference between the quality of Squaresoft and Square Enix? Squaresoft made good and bad games and Square Enix makes good and bad games nothing has changed aside from the fans becoming whinier.
Both make good and bad games (twewy) but we were speaking of final fantasy games.
And that square enix didnt make final fantasy 10 is a statement of fact.
If you didnt notice the drop in quality between FF X and X-2 im not sure we can reach common grounds when it comes to good and bad final fantasy games.
If you mean games in general. Yes sure Square Enix made some great games but Squaresoft was way better with their main line final fantasy titles.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Hahaha if i'd seen a shot of FFXII i'd have said it doesn't look like Final Fantasy. God I hate that game.

On topic, wow SquareEnix are really having a bad year, Poor show on this one.

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
I don't care who messed up, I just want to play this game. Also, SE hasn't made a good Final Fantasy game since FFXII, and Fortress ironically would have been the sequel to that.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Blitzwing said:
No_Remainders said:
Tom Goldman said:
GRIN's suspicions were confirmed when Square Enix failed one of the studio's tests. It sent Square Enix an image taken from Final Fantasy XII [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XII-Playstation-2/dp/B000F5IH2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306711720&sr=8-1], saying it was from Fortress, to see what the company would do. Square Enix replied: "It does not look like Final Fantasy."
... This is the bit that made me lol the most...

Well, that and asking to fax over the code.

How utterly retarded of SE, but then again, they do seem to like failing miserably.
Kind of like how most escapist users swallow any bullshit placed in front of them so long as it fits there own worldview.
I take what I'm given, just like everyone does.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Demonicdan said:
SalamanderJoe said:
If anyone is interested, this is what Fortress was going to look like:

I would have played that over a Square Enix FF game any day of the week (or at least any of the new ones).
Yeah, this looked a lot better than FFXII was.

I mean, really, can we not control our own team?

CielTynave

Nov 21, 2010
Just looking at that footage, and judging by the... quality of GRINs other games, they probably wouldn't have revolutionized FF, rather they probably would have just helped in running it even further into the dirt that it's already gone.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
Didn't these guys shut their doors not too long ago, I'm sorry but why do we even care, also the whole "But that's not Final Fantasy" thing with the FFXII screen-shot just smells fishy (Not even a little fishy, like in the middle of the worlds biggest fish market fishy), this just seems like a hoax if you don't mind me saying.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Selvec said:
I question the truthfulness of these allegations. If it was true, and you had prove like that test, why would you not take them to court? There are laws in place to prevent that kind of thing happening.
They're bankrupt. Squeenix isn't. Three guesses at the outcome of that lawsuit.

(LK)

Mar 4, 2010
Professional people are the most common source of unprofessional behavior.

People too confident in the security of their jobs or who think they are too qualified to act like idiots are always going to be the most incompetent, blundering people in any business.

Respected people in the Japanese games industry have noted before that people, especially managers and executives, in large Japanese development houses act increasingly more like lazy salarymen and less like motivated developers. If people can get away with acting stupid, they can be counted upon to always act stupid.

Looking at the horrendous, dysfunctional output that has come out of SE in recent years, saying that behavior sounds unprofessional as an argument of why it's unlikely to be true of SE is not a very convincing point.

Final Fantasy XIV, a flagship title from SE, was resoundingly unprofessional. It showed clear and obvious signs of slapdash development and dysfunctional management. Over the years its' predecessor had been carefully improved upon and given a variety of features as the studio learned what worked and what didn't about its' original design. A sequel comes out and a variety of these carefully-learned design facets are not only undone but actually turned on their heads or applied in reverse ("okay these improvements worked really well, players really liked that. Avoid it at all costs, do the opposite"), in an obvious instance of not caring or not knowing how to build upon an existing design with new content.

SE is unprofessional, and is the poster-child for what has been going wrong in large Japanese game developers today. That is why people can believe they behaved so incompetently. Salarymen cannot be counted on to do anything but show up to work and pretend to be busy. They aren't professionals.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Reallink said:
RvLeshrac said:
Reallink said:
I think SE has the right to have control over the products they do outsource, because it is going to affect their brand if it does poorly (or well for that matter). But I think saying they were trying to revolutionize FF is a bit over the top. Its not exactly their place to recreate an existing franchise
You mean "unless they were asked to do it," and it sounds like that's what S-E said they wanted.
I think we will need to hear both sides to have this discussion. SE have outsourced some great games, E.G KH:CoM, but if they didn't like it, I think they have the right to pull the plug
I'd agree, if COM wasn't some card/action abortion they decided to slap onto a cartridge and call a "game"

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Asehujiko said:
Selvec said:
I question the truthfulness of these allegations. If it was true, and you had prove like that test, why would you not take them to court? There are laws in place to prevent that kind of thing happening.
They're bankrupt. Squeenix isn't. Three guesses at the outcome of that lawsuit.
This is a private business matter, and no court would want to get involved. Do they have a contract? Yes. Did it expressly provide for penalties in case S-E did something shady? Unlikely, at best. That's not illegal. That's modern business.