Grumblr

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Well, white, straight males do tend to be supremely ignorant! About issues facing PoC, about issues facing LGBT people, about issues facing girls and women! That's just... that's true! ...right?
Jeeesuuuus Chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-

Are... are you feeling OK, Andy? I'm sick too and should probably be in bed instead of typing stuff on the net, but even I'm not this far gone. D:

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
White, straight males tend to be supremely ignorant.
You're not suggesting I'm prone to ignorance because of the color of my skin or my sexual preference, are you? Because that's prejudicial as hell.
I'm not suggesting anything. I don't know you. I think statistically most white, straight people tend to be ignorant of not-white, straight issues. This is what I've found in my experience. I'm not presuming anything about you personally. We've not met. You could be lovely. I think you may not be but I shan't pass judgement on you immediately. It's just more likely.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Well, white, straight males do tend to be supremely ignorant!
Whether that statement is conform with the facts is one thing I don't want to argue; it could be true indeed but I have no factual information to back that up.

But that's not even the point, nor is it the problem. The problem is that people are judged on that assumption by a part of Tumblr's social justice community. They are not treated as individuals, thus it's being discrimination.

And that, by their own standards, is bad. Yet they're doing it. And that's the comic's point.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Hagi said:
I'll give it a 9,5/10. One of the best trolls I've seen on the Escapist yet.

Only the very different use of language compared to posts in other threads gave you away, but still excellent trolling right here.
I'm not trolling. I'm speaking sincerely, here.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Hagi said:

Only the very different use of language compared to posts in other threads gave you away, but still excellent trolling right here.
If you're really speaking your true, genuine thoughts here, I think you need to take a step back and look at exactly what you've said. Because frankly, you're being racist as hell.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Well, white, straight males do tend to be supremely ignorant! About issues facing PoC, about issues facing LGBT people, about issues facing girls and women! That's just... that's true! ...right?
Jeeesuuuus Chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-

Are... are you feeling OK, Andy? I'm sick too and should probably be in bed instead of typing stuff on the net, but even I'm not this far gone. D:
I have been feeling rotten all week but I think I'm fine now...?

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Hagi said:

Nah, nobody can be THAT offended by everything.....

Right?

Seriously dude, don't defend Tumblr-crazies. If they produced quality content and made reasonable points, they wouldn't need defending.

Mister Chippy

Jun 12, 2013
Cowabungaa said:
But that's not even the point, nor is it the problem. The problem is that people are judged on that assumption by a part of Tumblr's social justice community. They are not treated as individuals, thus it's being discrimination.
I must say the Escapist is currently handling this better than I expected. Its weird how sometimes these threads turn into massive shitstorms and sometimes only into little shitstorms. People seem to be generally trying to talk things through right now.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Whether that statement is conform with the facts is one thing I don't want to argue; it could be true indeed but I have no factual information to back that up.

And that, by their own standards, is bad. Yet they're doing it. And that's the comic's point.
I suppose. No, I don't suppose. I agree. I just... I don't know, I have a kneejerk reaction to people dumping on people who at least resemble doing good.

Itsthefuzz

Apr 1, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
You're not suggesting I'm prone to ignorance because of the color of my skin or my sexual preference, are you? Because that's prejudicial as hell.
I'm not suggesting anything. I don't know you. I think statistically most white, straight people tend to be ignorant of not-white, straight issues. This is what I've found in my experience. I'm not presuming anything about you personally. We've not met. You could be lovely. I think you may not be but I shan't pass judgement on you immediately. It's just more likely.
This is the kind of logic that is frowned upon when someone White would say something like this directed towards a person of color. But because it's white people being stereotyped now, it's OK?

How about instead of justifying hateful, stereotypical thinking towards any group because you THINK they fit into a category, we just get rid of that mentality all together and judge people on a case-by-case basis. Content and character.

Not because they're black or white, male or female, homo, hetero, whatever. Not because STATISTICALLY (which I would love to see there be proof of) you think it's likely a person acts a certain way because they happen to belong in a group they have no control over being in.

It's 2014 people, Jesus.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Hagi said:

If this is the case then yes, you are being both racist and sexist. It may be the sum of your experiences but the sum of your experiences do not the sum of the universe make. You are basically saying that what I ( a straight white male) have to say is worth less on LGBT or race topics then a woman or a non white person. You are being this dismissive before I even say anything. That is the heart and soul of prejudice. Good job, you have become what you profess to hate.

BTW, I would be equally annoyed if you had a similar opinion of non whites or women or gays.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
lacktheknack said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:

I have been feeling rotten all week but I think I'm fine now...?
Agh.

Just one questsion... have you ever considered that maybe the average EVERYBODY in the west isn't actually ignorant of other people's problems, but just don't say so out loud? That's far more likely. It's difficult to turn on the news and not learn about issues faced by gay people (gay assaults, gay suicide, Russian protests), women (rape statistics, "feminazis") and non-whites (gang culture, Asian suicide rates, wars, etc).

The fact that you would immediately assume white straight males don't know and care about these things is, in fact, completely baffling and worrying.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
VanQ said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Hagi said:

If you're really speaking your true, genuine thoughts here, I think you need to take a step back and look at exactly what you've said. Because frankly, you're being racist as hell.
Racist? Really? What?

Listen. If you don't believe that the minority of white, straight people are reasonable then I don't know what to say. I'd say the minority of ALL people are fucking ignorant pieces of trash, but especially in relation to racism. Most of the world is shit. Most of America is white. I did my maths.

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Okay, I'm sure that's really sad and threatening or... something.

But the problem still remains that body-shaming is bad.
Very debatable. No one should be made fun of, but being fat isn't good.

Transgender rights and acceptance is terrible.
No one should be hated for being who they are. That being said, I am not going to alter my lexicon (LEARN MY PRONOUNS URHGHGHG) to accommodate the fancy of some butthurt attentionwhore. There are multiple sides to every issue, and just because you say you are being oppressed doesn't mean you are.

Wow. Just wow. Racism, sexism, and sexual preference based prejudice rolled into one. Good job.

To instinctively ignore those problems - not just from those people, but now, presumably, from every reasonable person that comes along past that... it's like being told, for example, by some crazy yelling guy on the street "GLOBAL WARMING IS BAD AND IT'S GOING TO DESTROY US ALL AND WE WILL DIE" and saying, "meh." And then a scientist says, "so, global warming's probably gonna cause really devastating effects," and again saying "meh."

Like, the problem does not change. The problem is still there. If you're the bigger, smarter person, y'think you could read through the lines of rhetoric.

Edit: I do use Tumblr. It's just mostly for Godzilla-related inanity.
Here's that main point though: If people have to resort to screeching, they aren't worth listening to anyway. The bigger, smarter person would be able to present a case in a non-confrontational and intelligent way. If a certain issue is only presented by people who invent their own words, chastise others for not following their every dogma, and do literally nothing aside from complain; there is a very high chance the person is just a whiny ***** and their supposed problem is literally nothing.

If a scientist says something then I'll listen because there's a good chance they knows what they're talking about, they're a professional, and they will present their work in a way that appeals to logic instead of emotion. The problems may very well be there, but all Tumblr is doing is making them worse. Nothing but bad things come from masturbatory hive-minds like that.

On the flip though, the non SJW part of Tumblr is pretty cool. A surprising amount of really talented artists hang out there. It makes me wish the two entities were separate.

Mister Chippy

Jun 12, 2013
Andy of Comix Inc said:
I suppose. No, I don't suppose. I agree. I just... I don't know, I have a kneejerk reaction to people dumping on people who at least resemble doing good.
Same, but honestly I think the proper response isn't defending the bad parts of people who I partially agree with and saying "they don't represent what I stand for."

I think it probably comes from assholes using tumblr's antics as an excuse for saying that feminism and the like are bad concepts and should be ignored.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:

I mean most people tend to be ignorant of most everything, but man... especially like, cis people are really ignorant of trans issues! And of course there are no "cis" issues to be ignorant of (if you can think of an injustice befalling the cis community, name one). The "black males tend to be supremely ignorant" would certainly be racist given context, but it depends what we're talking about. Probably it is true that, if we were talking about sexism in the African-American community, "black males tend to be supremely ignorant" would be apt. And in this case, talking about injustice against PoC, LGBT, and the female population... yes, white, straight males tend to be supremely ignorant.

It's like saying most old people are ignorant of issues facing today's youth. It's true. It's probably the same the opposite way, too, if you really want to split hairs.
What I find oddly humorous about any accusations of ignorance aimed at specific demographics, is that we're on the Internet; the "information superhighway". We have the means to share and read an insane amount of information; even good, useful information on occasion!
We have the privilege and power to actively learn. But mostly, we don't.

By far, most of the human race still does not actually have access to the net (or the whole internet), making us net denizens quite privileged. And who in this world is more ignorant of (or apathetic to) the plight of others than those with privilege?

Privilege enables opportunity, but negates necessity.
(the only time the internet approached any significant form of organized agreement was vs SOPA; at least that I can recall)

At a belief based level, we're wired to ignore or dismiss problems distant from ours.
Nobody can bear the weight of every issue they hear about; they'd go insane.
Far easier for the individual, is to focus on a select few issues and hammer on them in self-righteous fury. (especially when it's actually relevant to their person and interests)

Knowing that, I've realized how we're paradoxically "enlightened" and spoiled by our privilege.
We are simultaneously entertained and offended by our desire to hear and be heard on the internet.

Methinks that's the dirty secret of Tumblr; of the internet.

It's kinda like these forums: Nearly everyone here engages in pointless argumentation, taking innumerable positions on an equally innumerable number of subjects. Yet, even realizing this and the futility of engaging in it, it's strangely compelling.

Case in point: As a self-identified, white heterosexual male, I'm supposed to provide some knee-jerk response to your generalized assertion, or at least some back-handed apathetic grunt. Instead, I have to laugh at the absurdity of it all, because in some small part, it's true.

Because all people are ignorant. Especially those of us on the internet. And that's why shit like Tumblr happens.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Itsthefuzz said:
How about instead of justifying hateful, stereotypical thinking towards any group because you THINK they fit into a category, we just get rid of that mentality all together and judge people on a case-by-case basis. Content and character.

Not because they're black or white, male or female, homo, hetero, whatever. Not because STATISTICALLY (which I would love to see there be proof of) you think it's likely a person acts a certain way because they happen to belong in a group they have no control over being in.

It's 2014 people, Jesus.
Okay, how about this: speaking AN AN IGNORANT WHITE MALE, MOST WHITE MALES ARE IGNORANT.

Does that work out for you?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Cowabungaa said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:

You might wanna calm that knee down for a while. Don't forget;
people doing good > people doing nothing > people doing bad things > people doing bad things in the name of good.

EDIT: Epic typoing.

EDIT EDIT: Reconfigured the sentence.