Grumpy Pundit: Men Play Too Many Dang Videogames

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
I dislike how authors of these articles feel the need to defend video games in the actual piece. It is frustrating to read.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
The Plunk said:
I've got an idea for the betterment of society: Stop publicising the pointless piffle that old, conservative ranters like this bastard put out.
This, here!

Trolls predate the internet....the internet just makes them easier to spot. This guy is still a troll, albeit an old one who's taking advantage of the poor old gullible media.

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
This is just another of those far-left republican racist old men that needs to hurry up and die so that more tolerant, higher-minded individuals can take his place. Why are we paying attention to him again?

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
This is how old prune conservative radio hosts cope with their mid-life depression / erectile dysfunction.

He only wants us to 'man up' because he's completely lost that ability.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
cjbos81 said:
Everything he says is true.

[sobs quietly]

I have to change my life.

Anyone want to buy a used PS3 slim?

[sobs quietly]
... I'll give you five bucks for it.

OT: Shrug. He can piss off. That's all I really have to say on the matter.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
cjbos81 said:

[sobs quietly]

[sobs quietly]
Hahahahaha, you win the thread. *Bows*

It's amazing how people who have problems with other people's hobbies never seem to have the same problems with their own, isn't it? I don't usually stereotype, but given who we're dealing with here... I think this guy should probably put down the whiskey and his hunting rifle and stop shooting defenceless critters!

MrPanafonic

Oct 4, 2011
No_Remainders said:
cjbos81 said:

[sobs quietly]

[sobs quietly]
... I'll give you five bucks for it.

OT: Shrug. He can piss off. That's all I really have to say on the matter.
ill give him 10

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Sober Thal said:
Oh yeah, on a side note Greg Tito, you shouldn't slander people. Be a bit more responsible as a writer.
This.

Sober Thal said:
-'Bennett (said) that aborting all African-American babies "would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do'-

He then went on and joked that it would lower the crime rate. How you get that he wants to abort all African-American babies is a bit disgusting, eh?
I'm no fan of conservatives (here or abroad) and I've no idea who this Bennett is (I'm British) but my bullshitometer started twitching upon reading Greg's article. The quote above sounds much more believable to me than the claims made in Greg's article.

On topic, it is interesting to see the ongoing debate in the Facebook comments section on what defines a man. Seems that Bennett at least has a point in that everyone is rather muddled in this area, though I question whether the lack of a clear and universally accepted definition is necessarily a bad thing.

Exerzet

Sep 6, 2010
Speaking for myself, I can only state that if not for video-games, I'd probably have gotten another useless hobby, that wouldn't be half as much fun.

Boys will be boys.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
In addition to hating gay marriage and proposing to abort all African-American babies, Bennett penned an op-ed for CNN that laments the current crop of men in American society.
We're still better than Fox though, right guys?

Trilliandi

Feb 1, 2011
I think I missed the part where men and women were in some sort of competition to do better in life than each other. So women are getting better educations and getting better salaries and that's... baaad?

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
An old conservative thinks young people are ruining everything and that if they just did what his generation did, everything would be so much better.

Shocking.

Every generation has plenty of people who think that the new generation messed everything up and that the only solution is to go back to the old way of doing things (even when the old way no longer makes sense given the present state of the world). This sentiment occurs in some portion of every generation in more or less all of human history.

In many ways, this seems like a sort of self-preservation. Clearly, "being a man" in these ways is a big part of his identity. Seeing these things change is probably somewhat uncomfortable to him as it's becoming clearer that a lot of the things he thought were necessary might not be.

Normandyfoxtrot

Feb 17, 2011
twm1709 said:
I don't know anything about political groups in the US, but the conservatives always come across as cartoonishly old fashioned and ignorant whenever they're brought up.
This man is a disgrace to conservatives and that's from someone who does think conservatives are hopelessly backwards.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Grumpy Pundit: Men Play Too Many Dang Videogames

A grumpy old man says the male sex should put down the controller and get a job.
What the man doesn't understand is that not having a job is counter-intuitive to being a gamer. If I want to play the latest games, I'm going to need money to do that. It's been some time since I've actually bought a game with earned money, all the other times I got games I wanted, they were gifts on my birthday or for Christmas.

I'd gladly put the game controller down for forty or more hours a week. But seeing as I've been doing my best to get a job since I graduated from college last December and have had no luck because employers in my area are hiring like they are trying to find a savant. Heck, even McDonalds is like that, "oh, your only job was doing night stock at a grocery store a couple years ago, oh...okay, thanks for stopping by we'll call you." And here I thought fast food was one of those places for people that are desperate to find work and practically anybody can get hired for, my things have changed.

Seeing as my degree is in English, I wish I could think of something unique to write for the Escapist.

rohansoldier

Sep 5, 2011
Seriously, this guy needs to shut up. Aside from all his anti gay, baby aborting nonsense, he has no right to tell people how to live.

Like someone else said, I am married with a child and a steady full time job. I also play videogames with whatever free time I can. Does this make me a lazy slacker too?

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
I've played a lot of games, got a lot of achievements, had a great deal of fun and even learnt a few things--or had my interest piqued by games so I would go do some research.

But I have never eaten as many sandwiches as that man.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Greg Tito said:
In addition to hating gay marriage and proposing to abort all African-American babies
This is where I knew whatever he was going to say, it would not be worth listening to. At all.