Grumpy Pundit: Men Play Too Many Dang Videogames

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Full disclosure: I am a man who has a wife, a family and I play videogames a lot. What do you have to say to me, Mr. Bennett? Have I not "manned up" enough for you?
Real manly married men escape from their families in bars/pubs

RamirezDoEverything

Jan 31, 2010
Greg Tito said:
It would be just as offensive if Bennett told people to get off the couch on Sunday and get a job instead of watching football, eating chili nachos and drinking an entire 18-pack of Coors Light.

Which, let's face it, most Americans should probably stop doing.
I was agreeing with you until you said that.

I work a part time job every sunday while I attend school all week, and run xc races on saturdays.

Stop stereotyping Americans.. anyone who's reading this message.

OT: Yeah, he's a stupid conservative asshole, what else is new?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I dont get it, so he wants men to always be "better" than women? dude this isnt come kind of competition

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Dear Dr. Bennett:

I am a 35-year-old man who is employed in a full-time job and is single. I am also much more of a man than you, for I can get through life and handle my responsibilities without spewing hatred or needing to elevate myself by putting down others.

As for gaming... I will give up playing video games after you give up at least two of your chins.

With (very little) respect,
The Rogue Wolf

Nukey

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2009
Ironic Pirate said:
Nukey said:
Fuck this guy.

I'm doing MMA, have a scholarship and am dating two different girls; haven't I manned up enough?
Depends. Does each girl know about the other?
Yes and, as far as I can tell, they're both alright with it.

SwagLordYoloson

Jul 21, 2010
Zhukov said:
I really hate to sound all trying-too-hard-to-be-edgy-and-cynical, but I get the impression the Escapist posts these kind of "Entity X says games are bad" articles just because they know it's guaranteed to produce traffic.
This is the Escapist's general business plan when it comes to its Articles. Often they report on things that will create a disgruntled community who will generate traffic. Escapist's business plan seems to be, get people upset about article 'A' reposted by different people 10000 times.

I would like it if they ignored this useless trolling my uneducated politicians, and talked more about games.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
The fundamental problem for me with this article is that it doesn't make sense to insist that decline in an American demographic's educational and career success not my problem just because I lack a penis?

I mean, really. I have about as much influence on men getting college degrees as I do women- my getting a Bachelor's is just one tiny drop in the bucket, after all.
If you're calling for social change, you address everyone in the society.

Here, he's just pointing fingers.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I know that as gamers we're supposed to crucify people who say stuff like this, but I kind of agree with this guy. Gaming as a hobby is generally anti-social unless you're playing multiplayer, and even then you're still not getting any sort of exercise or monetary benefit. I think what he's trying to say is that a lot of young men spend too much time on the couch and not enough time doing something productive. Perfectly valid point if you ask me.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
for my taste women are still underpowered enough

so i'm gonna go and play some more video games

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
The decline of men has nothing to do with games, it does have a whole helluva lot to do with the fact that there is no reason to be a man any more. At least not by the extremely limited definition that he is going by.

The fact is that men have enough to worry about without constantly being told what we are and aren't supposed to be. Being part of a gender which is increasingly superfluous in the modern world takes its toll in a lot of ways, some of them obvious, most of them much harder to spot let alone understand if you're not actually having to deal with them.

And yes if he's got a problem with there not being enough jobs, he should really be talking about all the social and economic barriers that are put in place to keep most working class men out of the job market and the rest of society in general.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Nukey said:
Ironic Pirate said:
Nukey said:
Fuck this guy.

I'm doing MMA, have a scholarship and am dating two different girls; haven't I manned up enough?
Depends. Does each girl know about the other?
Yes and, as far as I can tell, they're both alright with it.
Well good for you, then.
AnarchistFish said:
Wow. You have politicians this racist, homophobic and sexist this high up? Here they'd be destroyed
Where is here, exactly? And besides, I don't believe he's held elected office, from a brief glance at Wikipedia he's been appointed to positions by Reagan and Bush, but not elected. And currently he just has a radio show.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
xXxJessicaxXx said:
I'm a woman who plays games...is that okay with him then or what?
Only if you make him a sandwich.

Seriously though, some geezer says something about video games and nerds fly off the handle.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Oh, whew. Good thing I'm a lady. Now excuse me while I embark on an 18 hour Team Fortress 2 marathon.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
The Real Sandman said:
Greg Tito said:
In addition to proposing to abort all African-American babies,

Wow.

Just... wow.

I was about to prepare a witty come back for this guy until I read the above sentence. After that, why even bother?
Pretty much...I was going to post something about studying to be a lawyer while being a big gamer but that sentence turned my brain into mush...

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
Everybody here is going to be all like OHMYFUCKINGGODWHATTHECUNTMOTHERFUCKINGSONOFABITCHIFUCKINGHATETHATFUCKINGASSHOLE but he actually has a point. America is filled with complacent males with an over-developed sense of self-entitlement. Now blaming video games is an easy way out, everybody does it. But they do contribute to the problem.

It's all about, like the old geezer said, sending mixed signals. A guy plays CoD, Gears, Halo, Fallout, God of War etc. He is shown strong male protagonists. He inadvertence looks up to him. He wants to be like Marcus or Ramirez. What does his parents do? Coddle him and give him all he wants. He never has to fight for anything. He's never faced with a "twist" in the plot. Oh my, grandma died. Big fucking deal. Old people die. Most people in developed countries don't have to deal with the shit people in video games go through.

I could go on but I'll stop because nobody here gives two shits. They'll say "what an asshole" and go on and continue their lives.

This has nothing to do with females cuz I am not one. If I was I might be talking about other unrealistic expectations but I ain't a lass sooo... Yeah, this pertains to the dudes.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
This guy can stick it. I'm in the fucking military.

Yeah, how do you them apples, *****?!

Exclamation: I now have a seething hatred for this guy after going back and re-reading the news story. Aborting all African-American babies?! As a 20-something black male who hopes to have his own babies sometime later or so in life, I find that statement immensely offensive. Hell, I'd probably assassinate the guy myself, but I'd only be promoting stereotypes by doing that (I probably already have by saying that last sentence...).