GTA IV is the Worst Games I've Ever Played

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
So you kept playing a game that you hated for 300 hours, a game which you consider to be the worst you have ever played? Seems to me that this is just a rant made out of frustration and anger.

saxxon.de

Apr 18, 2011
All I'm reading is that you suck at GTAIV.

Oh, and if you drop grenades and aswer your cell phone on the left mouse button, you should check your control scheme. Neither grenades nor the cell phone are context sensitive at any time.

I'd expect you to know that after this many hours. I loved the game and played it do death and don't have as much playtime as you.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
It's not the best in the series (2 and III can't be beaten) but it is alot better then San andreas imo.

peruvianskys

Jun 8, 2011
I tend to agree with you, OP. The missions were designed to be followed so incredibly rigidly that any approach deviating from exactly what the developers considered just failed; it was like an adventure game almost, in that you had to think "What were the developers thinking?" instead of "What would I do?"

Throw in terrible physics, boring graphics, shitty minigames, average shooting, and terrible handling, I had no fun at all.

Playing The System

Oct 24, 2012
I've only just got 100 hours into Team Fortress 2 and I love that game, play it constantly. How have you spent 300 hours playing something you don't like?

2HF

May 24, 2011
When I hate a game I put it down in under 30 minutes. TES games, 20 minutes. Siphon Filter, 5 minutes. Call of Duty, 5 minutes. MGS, 10 minutes. Every Mario game since Mario 64, 30 minutes.

You don't hate GTA IV. You see that it does in fact have flaws but it's still absolutely worth your time.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Cyrus Hanley said:
This actually makes me want to play some more GTA IV.

I haven't played that game in so long.
Yeah, all the things he hates are what I liked. It's kind of awesome to exist in a no-consequence universe where you can drive a car into a subway tunnel or flip over from hitting a cardboard box. I'm thinking of rebuying it for PS3 to play some of the online and show my girlfriend of this crazy shit.

FitScotGaymer

Mar 30, 2011
Ya know what I hate?

Over dramatic people who blow everything up to be THE WORST THING EVAR!!!1111!!11!

Seriously. It's annoying. Don't do it.

As others have said, clearly you don't actually hate this game. You actually like this game, you just dislike a number of the stupid ass decisions rockstar made in regards of the games gameplay.

GTA 4 got and gets a crap load of negativity hurled at it, and in every single instance i've seen of it has been people over dramatising teeny tiny flaws on the internet. I mean the game could have been A LOT worse. *cough*MassEffect3BatshitInsaneEnding*cough*
Rockstar isn't a company that rests on its laurels.

And it's owner, Take Two, is a publisher that is usually and generally happy allow its Dev teams to take risks, and push the envelope. And indeed even make games that are a little more niche.
It's why 2K is probably the best of the "big publishers".

GTA 4 is awesome. GTA 5 will be even better.

And you know you love it.

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
2HF said:
When I hate a game I put it down in under 30 minutes. TES games, 20 minutes. Siphon Filter, 5 minutes. Call of Duty, 5 minutes. MGS, 10 minutes. Every Mario game since Mario 64, 30 minutes.

You don't hate GTA IV. You see that it does in fact have flaws but it's still absolutely worth your time.
Oh wow Siphon Filter, getting all nostalgic here. I loved that game for some reason.

This thread should turn into 'games I hate yet spent far too long playing'.

For me that would be FarCry2, it was a bloody abysmal game with a few interesting mechanics overshadowed by how shitty everything else was. Yet because I'm a stubborn idiot who had spent money on it I insisted on playing it through, until the end mission bugged and it became unplayable.

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah the campaign in GTA IV is really awful. Good thing the multiplayer is amazing enough to make up for it. If you're playing with the right people, that is.

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
GTAIV is my most hated game too.
It was ridiculously boring, only reason that had me playing is that I was a huge fan of the GTA III trilogy and it could get better, but nope, it was so boring it felt like torture, now asking myself what kind of love I had for the series made me force myself through it all.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I played about 4 hours at most and felt it was just too much of a chore to play it. I felt the plot was just too boring to keep playing. I might play it again, only if it is on PC so I can mod the friction on cars to be negative.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Really? GTA 4 is the worst game you've ever played? I mean sure it's not everyone's taste, but c'mon, there are some fucking shockingly bad games out there.

Also, poorly designed in every aspect is seriously blowing things out of proportion. Stop trying to present your opinion as fact, sure you encountered a few bugs, and having not played the Ballad of Gay tony, I'm not entirely sure what there is in that chase mission, but most of the time when you HAVE to use a specific car, the car has importance, like a consignment of drugs or something in the back, there must've been a reason, anyone clue me in on that?

I'm sure there is context sensitive on the Phone, as I've never had that problem, and I've played that game to death. Heck I'm pretty sure there is a button designed to answer the phone, like whatever A/X is on the PC version.

I mean if you hate is so much, don't play it. And I'm not sure why you feel the need to make a thread about a game four years old declaring how much you hate it. There are some worse games, and truely poorly designed games out there. Deus Ex 2, Final Fantasy *twitch* Th-ir-te-n, (THAT had design issues, the level design, the script, the combat system that seems to be some bizzare fucking hybrid between action, traditional turnbased and active time battle) fucking Bubsy 3D, Metroid Other M?. Yet you have over 300 hours going for you!? I find that shocking, and this is coming from a man who has well over 100 hours clocked on most of his Final Fantasies, what on earth were you doing for 300 hundred hours on GTA4? I haven't even clocked that sort of time on Skyrim or Oblivion, games with a lot more in them. Saying it's the worst game you've ever played is really unfair to the game, and elevating for games that really are poor

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
GTA-IV is only game i fell asleep playing. It's not worst game i have ever played but it's boring enough for me to stop playing and not care about what happens next in story.
I hope GTA V will be less boring.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I get what you're saying but...how could you play for so long?!

I did the horrible mistake of buying the Complete edition because of my love for the PS2 trilogy. I started with GTAIV. It was just sooooo boring! With the past trilogy, the game made me wanna keep playing and exploring. But there was something about GTAIV that just made me fall asleep as I was playing it (It seriously happened). I mean, the game is not that bad but it was kinda disappointing.

I sold it back for 30 bucks. It was a good day.

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
I thought GTA was good. Not great. Not bad. Average. I LOATHED the missions, and only did them to see if they unlocked new stuff and some money, but the GTA series is to date the only sandbox game outside of Assassin's Creed where I would actually do stuff other than blast through the missions. The wonky physics engine is precisely the reason I loved it, my brother, me and a friend would take turns boosting cars and bikes and try to ramp them in funny ways, and we had TONS of fun with it. It never gets old ramping a Hummer over a police car, hitting a motorcycle and doing 3 barrel rolls before driving away unharmed. But yes, the extremely arbitrary failure states are very annoying. To my money, the only GTA games to get it all right were GTA 1 and Vice City, before they went all gritty. Also I can't stand Nico or his brother, or now that I think about it, most named characters. I get that they're supposed to be parodies and caricatures of stereotypes, but I just find them obnoxious.

See there folks, a whole post not mentioning the OP has 300+ hours in a game he hates.

Oh, wait.. Crap.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Kinda obvious the problem isn't GTAIV. Even if the game was bad, I don't see how that has any impact on your life besides a bad purchase. No one asked you to play the game.

You even have the expansions, which I still haven't gotten around to and I love the game.

Gotta re-think your values man.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
GTA IV is the worst games you've played? Huh, I thought GTA IV was only one game.

But seriously, why would you play a game you hate for 300 fucking hours?