GTA Trilogy is messy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Rockstar just issued an apology, promised fixes, and brought the old versions of the games back to being available to buy if you want. Anyone with the definitive editions will get the old versions of the games for free if they want them.
That is some of the fastest backpedaling I have seen since E32013.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
That is some of the fastest backpedaling I have seen since E32013.
Whoever said complaining never solved anything?

But anyways, what happened at E32013? Didn’t it take a while after release before Microsoft changed their XBOne stance?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But anyways, what happened at E32013? Didn’t it take a while after release before Microsoft changed their XBOne stance?

It took them 10 days after E3 2013 when they backpedaled on everything. I already have it time stamped at the proof.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

It took them 10 days after E3 2013 when they backpedaled on everything. I already have it time stamped at the proof.

It's kinda amazing how one position change managed to keep xbox alive. I'd be lying if I said I supported all of the decisions, but Phill Spencer was probably the savior for the Microsoft. I mean think of what would've happened if Don Mattrick was at the helm all times.

TBH, the moment when Don introduced kinect back in E3 2010, how proud he looked about it, and how cringy that whole presentation was, I was already raising my eye brows at the direction this guy was taking

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It's kinda amazing how one position change managed to keep xbox alive. I'd be lying if I said I supported all of the decisions, but Phill Spencer was probably the savior for the Microsoft. I mean think of what would've happened if Don Mattrick was at the helm all times.

TBH, the moment when Don introduced kinect back in E3 2010, how proud he looked about it, and how cringy that whole presentation was, I was already raising my eye brows at the direction this guy was taking

At first part of me thought well, maybe it wasn’t all his fault as that was just the Microsoft directive at the time. But then again…

Yeah this guy was a Dbag with a capital D. Dbag Don.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

They are patching this trilogy like it's fucking Cyberpunk. At least they are putting in effort now, but it's still dogshit that they couldn't be bothered to fix this trash BEFORE release.

Also it should be noted that they delayed the physical versions of the game by a week or two in order to make sure physical buyers get a version with more fixes, which at least will be good for people who aren't aware of this crap yet.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

They are patching this trilogy like it's fucking Cyberpunk. At least they are putting in effort now, but it's still dogshit that they couldn't be bothered to fix this trash BEFORE release.

Also it should be noted that they delayed the physical versions of the game by a week or two in order to make sure physical buyers get a version with more fixes, which at least will be good for people who aren't aware of this crap yet.
Still not buying your piece of shit product, but thank you for the news.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Thank you, Yahztee for pointing out why I never played San Andreas ever again.

EDIT: As for that little take that against Ghost of Tsushima (and nearly all modern sandbox games), I would still play Tsushima over all of the GTA games, and most open-world games in general. You get most activities that are fun or relaxing. Travelling is actually great and it's world you want to explore even if you're not getting the extra goodies.

Last edited:

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Thank you, Yahztee for pointing out why I never played San Andreas ever again.

EDIT: As for that little take that against Ghost of Tsushima (and nearly all modern sandbox games), I would still play Tsushima over all of the GTA games, and most open-world games in general. You get most activities that are fun or relaxing. Travelling is actually great and it's world you want to explore even if you're not getting the extra goodies.
1. What was that?

2. He's reviewing the games as they were right? This is still what he would have said about the game even if the bugs weren't there?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
1. What was that?
San Anrdreas had the annoying stamina mechanic and the whole "make sure your character stays healthy" mechanics by doing forced mini game that are tedious time wasters and not fun. Or how certain missions are locked if you don't have certain skills, or health requirements. The point of sandbox is explore and the world opens up the more you progress. It should not lock the player because of some abrtiary reason or you did not bother to a crappy mini game enough.

2. He's reviewing the games as they were right? This is still what he would have said about the game even if the bugs weren't there?
Yes. Even without the bugs, San Andreas does not hold up in the gameplay department. You might as well play Saints Row 2 and be done with it. A lot of the GTA games I don't have the time nor patience for any more. Though even back then, I only played the story of each game once, and immediately moved on to something else. Playing them now or the sake of nostalgia does nothing for me and a total waste of time. It's called killing the past.

Did you watch the review by any chance? If not, please do so. You'll get all of the info you need.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
San Anrdreas had the annoying stamina mechanic and the whole "make sure your character stays healthy" mechanics by doing forced mini game that are tedious time wasters and not fun. Or how certain missions are locked if you don't have certain skills, or health requirements. The point of sandbox is explore and the world opens up the more you progress. It should not lock the player because of some abrtiary reason or you did not bother to a crappy mini game enough.

Yes. Even without the bugs, San Andreas does not hold up in the gameplay department. You might as well play Saints Row 2 and be done with it. A lot of the GTA games I don't have the time nor patience for any more. Though even back then, I only played the story of each game once, and immediately moved on to something else. Playing them now or the sake of nostalgia does nothing for me and a total waste of time. It's called killing the past.

Did you watch the review by any chance? If not, please do so. You'll get all of the info you need.
San Andreas still holds up better then the prior 2 GTAs in the gameplay department at least.

Saint's Row 2 has no countryside and 3 cities.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
San Andreas still holds up better then the prior 2 GTAs in the gameplay department at least.
Not much of milestone. Vice City >San Andreas.

Saint's Row 2 has no countryside and 3 cities.
I don't care. Saints Row 2 plays better and is more fun. San Andreas is a chore to play, and the only thing that game has going for it, is the notoriety it caused. Other than being the video game combination of Boyz n Da Hood, Menace II Society, and New Jersey Drive, the game has nothing to stand on.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Not much of milestone. Vice City >San Andreas.

I don't care. Saints Row 2 plays better and is more fun. San Andreas is a chore to play, and the only thing that game has going for it, is the notoriety it caused. Other than being the video game combination of Boyz n Da Hood, Menace II Society, and New Jersey Drive, the game has nothing to stand on.
Vice City doesn't let me fly a Harrier Jet. And sneak into Area 51.

But yea, I prefer GTA 4 and 5 ultimately 5 is already just a better San Andreas, just lacking in somethings..

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Vice City doesn't let me fly a Harrier Jet. And sneak into Area 51.
Big deal; I don't care. Not worth going through all the bullshit to get part again in San Andreas.

But yea, I prefer GTA 4 and 5 ultimately 5 is already just a better San Andreas, just lacking in somethings
That's nothing new. Everyone came to that conclusion years ago about V being a better San Andreas, and Franklin is a better CJ. I'd still play Saints Row 2 over GTAV. Hell, I'd play Saints Row 3 & 4 over GTA IV & V when given the choice.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Big deal; I don't care. Not worth going through all the bullshit to get part again in San Andreas.

That's nothing new. Everyone came to that conclusion years ago about V being a better San Andreas, and Franklin is a better CJ. I'd still play Saints Row 2 over GTAV. Hell, I'd play Saints Row 3 & 4 over GTA IV & V when given the choice.
I've played Saints Row 3 fully, didn't give me that much enjoyment that everyone made it out to be. And GTA 4 and 5 are far more better in the story and character department. I don't remember anyone in Saints Row 3.

The one thing I'll give Saints Row the edge over GTA is creating your own character and how fully realized they are as charcaters.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Saints Row found its open world niche by being a wackier version of GTA and it worked for the interesting gameplay design that afforded. I hope the new one does well. At least it’ll be out soon, which is more than can be said about anything new with GTA. Rockstar, or more specifically Take 2 really fucked up by driving out most of the studio’s creative leads with their increasingly shit practices lately. Also I’ll always be a bit resentful that they’re neglecting their best game to date in favor of more GTAO nickel and diming.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And GTA 4 and 5 are far more better in the story and character department. I don't remember anyone in Saints Row 3.
I barely remember the story of IV, but I did enjoy The Lost and The Damned stand alone expansion. V I tried, but the story I found too obnoxious and uninteresting. I hate most of the characters, and the only person I came close to liking is Franklin. Even with all their flaws, I would still take Saints Row 2-4 over all of the GTA games. I would not have it any other way. Deal with it.

umatbro

Feb 18, 2021
Country
Australia (Not Yahtzee's homeland)
Just watched that review and one quote stood out to me:

Yahtzee said:
a rather confrontational game about the brutality of African-American gang culture in 90’s not-Los Angeles
That's a topic we can't address anymore without being labeled as "racist". I'm surprised that critics on the woke side of the spectrum panned it for being shite instead of bein racist.