Guise of the Wolf Dev Takes Down Negative YouTube Review - Update 2

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
K12 said:
Valve's blame is a very distant third behind the game's developers and Youtube's policies but the question "why the fuck is this game on sale in the first place" is relevant.
The short relevant answer is: "Because free market."

If you want variety and opportunity, you have to accept the responsibility for making better informed choices as a consumer and not just blindly buying into everything on a whim.

By asking Supply to proactively define what to sell in a given market is akin to asking them to define the market's likes.
That's a controlled market, and it has actually precedence in the video game industry.
See also: Nintendo in the 80s and early 90s.
Back then, Nintendo had a monopoly on the mainstream game market. They were the first company to legally dictate what could be published on their systems. While we saw a number of quality games, they still allowed a ton of shovelware and half-finished crap onto the system so they could make a quick buck.

A Free Market, on the other hand, forces Supply to respond to Demand in a reactive, not proactive, manner.
Consumers, not retailers, place the limits on what's acceptable and what isn't: That's what "Vote with your Wallet" means. Not by asking retailers to be your market nanny and blaming them for not cleaning up the mess others make.

RedBackDragon

Apr 22, 2013
I remember total biscuit saying during his review that this could happen and that if it did he was gona have a field day... heh should be fun.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
I can't believe we are seeing stupid developer so soon after Gary's incident. I almost believe that these small developers are too close to their work that they cannot step back and accept any criticism.

I hate to say this because I am rooting for TB but I really hope this goes to court. There needs to be legal precedence against developers pulling shit like this.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Why would you use photoshop to doctor an email when any basic text edit program will do the job better? I suspect the developers of this game are either really thick, really young, or both.

Mersadeon

Jun 8, 2010
Barbas said:
I've heard that thanks to YouTube's lazy copyright strike system, one more strike against TB means his channel goes down[footnote]I could be wrong here, but if it keeps going down and having to be reinstated over things like this, I can imagine him and others giving up on YouTube because of the hassle of the system, which is a concern.[/footnote]. I've no idea whether it would be reinstated because of his popularity. Companies just seem to be doing this whenever they can get away with it now. According to Jim's latest video, seen here [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMidHqWGQAM], Square Enix has been throwing strikes out willy-nilly for things like the Final Fantasy games. The video mentions they have taken down a lot of AngryJoe's videos, although I don't know how long ago that happened, since I don't follow his channel.

It's load of shit, really, innit?
I know there's two pages between this quote and my answer, but just to be precise - the strike system actually doesn't concern him the way normal channels are concerned. He is part of Polaris (formerly known as The Games Station), which protects him from the strike-rule. In his video on the matter (back when he was talking more generally about the strike system) he says he finds it incredibly unfair that your legitimate content can be purged just because you don't have a large, money-making network to vouch for you.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
cursedseishi said:
Oh! And here!
http://i.imgur.com/w1iLIhi.png
"delete your channel"
wow... that takes it lot of fucking audacity to send a message like. It's almost like a 12 year old or someone with the maturity of a 12 year old is handling the PR for FUN.
I have zero sympathy for FUN.

catcha-Skynet Knows
no comment

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Oh dear, as of one hour ago DERP (the troll scrip kiddies who took down LoL not that long ago) tweeted at FUN threatening them and now they are promising a huge DDOS https://twitter.com/DerpTroolling . this could get interesting, but the more FUN suffers the better.

AlexanderPeregrine

Nov 19, 2009
Grabehn said:
What really got me laughing hard out of this whole thing is that on the email the company threatened to send their lawyers over to the UK, I guess they're going on vacation then, since TB moved to the US a long time ago.
Alpha Maeko said:
Send lawyers to the UK? Why? So that they can call TB over the phone in the US? Good luck with that extradition hearing.

Also, fuck you, "Fun Creator".
They're admitting that they're going forum shopping [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_shoping], which is where you file a lawsuit in whatever court you think will give you the result you want. I don't know about copyright law, but the United Kingdom is certainly the go-to place for defamation lawsuits because the odds are really lopsided in the plaintiff's favor. As far as if they're even able to file a suit in the UK, I have no idea.

EDIT: They're probably also hoping that TotalBiscuit's personal lawyer can't act over there, thus forcing him to hire somebody else and making this a more expensive ordeal that it's worth. In other words, a classic Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLAPP].

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
llagrok said:
I pray that they tear down TB, his terrible videos and anything else that mouth-breather has put on the internet.

Only thing that we need is his poorly written article on somethingawful.
*facepalm*

OT: While it's obviously an annoying situation for TB and his crew, I'm fairly sure the only outcome here is a positive one. I dare say that the overwhelming majority of people will side with TB on this, and it'll just give him even more momentum. Case in point: The Gary's Incident incident.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Um, Escapist? That video is not a review. TotalBiscuit is not a reviewer. His "WTF is ..." series is a first impressions video series that only captures less than the first hour of the game and does not give a final judgment on the entire product. Besides, the only time I've heard a TotalBiscuit WTF is video called a review outside of this thread was in a Steam community post by Fun Creator themselves, and as far as I can tell they aren't the kind of people you want to emulate. Do you get paid to so this?

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Adam Jensen said:
This is such a weird story. What are these developers trying to accomplish? Commit the ultimate career suicide?
I still say that title goes to the douchebag PR dude for those special modified controllers that went absolutely fuck-nuts when someone guy wrote in an email about not getting his controller when he was supposed to.

You all remember the story, right? The guy that didn't get his controller ended up writing to Penny Arcade about it and then the PR dude REALLY flipped his shit claiming to know everyone from Cliff Bleszinski to the mayor of New York to Sean Connery to Jesus Christ himself. He went on to get blasted across the internet as THE Douchebag of the 21st Century. A very surprising feet seeing as how we're only a decade into said century. :p
Oh yeah, wasn't he representing a company... uh OCEAN... something.

Wonder if he ever got jailed for holding the companies info ransom so he couldn't get fired... Man, he went out GLORIOUSLY!

EDIT:

Ocean Marketing, that was the name of his company!

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Wow, can't believe this is happening again to TB, Exactly what did they think this would accomplish?

They just made the damage 10 times worse by doing this, its bad enough that they made a broken, falsely advertised game and sold it on lies, but then they turn around and desperately attempt to censor criticism, how is this Ok? I really hope TB Makes another video talking about this...

As for FUN Software, they have just killed their company and any trust any customer might have had, they are dead, anyone employed there might as well start looking for a new job cause their is no coming back from this

Not that I'll miss yah bye bye FUN Software!

Also don't get me started on their crying about it being "A conspiracy and TB is hurting the poor nice people at FUN Software" All that looks like to me is a toddler bawling that they can't get everything they want, a spoiled brat that expects everything to be given to them on a silver platter and praised for their "Effort"

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
This is just really bad. I sincerely hope those emails are faked somehow because I'm actually embarrassed to be considered the same species as FUN developers. Of all the people on YouTube they could target, they c after the one that caused all sorts of hell for the developers of Day 1 Gary's incident.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
What a despicable display. Amazing how unprofessional some people are.
On one hand I understand that going to court with stuff like this is not what people like TB want to do as it takes time, effort and money away from what they actually want to do but I really would like a case like this standing trial.
I doubt it will happen but it would be interesting to see how much ?fair use? actually is worth.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Hoo boy. You'd have thought people would had learned their lesson after Day One: Garry's Incident pulled this and failed miserably.

Expect an epic verbal beatdown: the sequel to follow, kids X3

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
Following the exchange on Twitter it seems both parties are trying to talk this whole thing out. FUN wants to talk directly to TB but he keeps saying to talk to his lawyer. It almost seems like they are regretting getting into this and have just now realized how far in the shitter they've found themselves.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Cecilo said:
To everyone that seems to think TB is saving up for some massive rant video, I am not so sure he is.

When the Garry's Incident devs did this, he had it ready the same day, or a day after, I forget. For this one he seems to be letting Polaris handle it. I wonder if something has him spooked.
I think TB doesn't need to make a response video that'd just be the same thing as the Garry's Indecent video. He said on Twitter that his lawyers are going to handle it. There's no need to make a response video at this point. TB has 1.5 million YouTube subs, they know what's up. This will for sure be a discussion on the next "Address the Sess" though since TB is a regular guest.

OT: Reading the back and forth and TB's twitter is hilarious. As soon as he brought up the fact that his lawyers were looking into this FUN Creators publicly begged him not to sue.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
I watched part of TB's video, yet left Guise of the Wolf on my Wishlist thinking I'd still give it a try if it went on sale. Well, it's NOT on my Wishlist anymore and I don't forsee any future Fun Creator games going on there either.