Gun Enthusiasts Complain About the "Call of Duty Effect"

The3rdEye

Mar 19, 2009
While there are legitimate concerns being voiced here regarding the inability of certain individuals to distinguish between fiction and reality, the underlying sentiment that I hear throughout the article boils down to "Wah, our hobby is/might be becoming mainstream!" making rednecks the new Goths/Emos/Rappers of 2010+.

And before someone picks up a torch, I'm being sarcastic (slightly), although more in regards to the Goths/Emos/Rappers statement than the perceived violation of individuality and privacy that some gun enthusiasts may be experiencing as video games attempt to imitate reality to higher and higher degrees causing some of their consumers migrate and investigate the real thing.

If it were in my arena and now strictly speaking as someone on the furthest periphery of the topic, I would be pretty happy that games like MW2 are creating an interest in actual firearms (as opposed to the fictitious variety) for a number of reasons (this is in no way meant to be derogatory, merely direct):

The needs of a firearms enthusiast are pretty straightforward: buying the gun, the supplies to maintain the gun, someplace to shoot the gun and someone to talk to about shooting, maintaining and buying the gun. If there are more people interested in your hobby, the chances of stock and supply rising to meet an influx of demand increases, the legitimacy of having grounds on which to perform your hobby with three dozen other individuals is far more likely to secure you the permits and facilities to do so than only eight other enthusiasts, and finally more people means more contacts and stories.

While it is true that an increase in quantity does not necessarily correspond with an increase in quality, there are strict rules, regulations and laws governing the manufacture of firearms and firearm accessories, as well as government instated regulations regarding who may own and operate a firearm. So, the quality of your materials will not decrease, although the availability of such materials will most likely increase (something that cannot be said for the video game market and it's influx of "casual gamers" *shudder*), and if you are gravely concerned regarding the safety implications of Halo McFratboy firing off his .45 at the range, then it merely indicates that there were problems in the licensing and registration methods before he came along.

----

As PS:

Inevitably, I believe the proliferation of "realistic" firearms can and will result in more firearms related crimes, but I believe that to be the effect of simple mathematics rather than any actual plot or degradation caused by video games. It would be much more feasible in my opinion to blame that very mindset for attempting to bury these violent impulses beneath a layer a psycho drivel and pretending that we are not, as a species, every bit as violent as we were a thousand years ago.

Just my two coppers

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
JWAN said:
Indecizion said:
Rofl? srsly? gun nuts think they can complain about nething?
not sure what a "nething" is but its not good when you have some jackass walk in off the street and ask for a "SMG" or a "sniper rifle" and not understanding anything about them. Thats a major fucking concern.

You'll have people shoving .20 gauge ammo into a .12 gauge shotgun or taking a 6.8mm carbine and shoving 7mm ammo inside.
Or people picking up any spent cartridges and trying to jam them back in.

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
Same deal with Mirrors Edge spawning a bunch of idiots who think they're traceurs, then they go off with no experience and end up in the hospital.

I can sympathise with the gun nuts.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
qbanknight said:
this is just fucking terrifying, a bunch of assholes who think they know about guns playing games and they want to try em out in real life. you know that whole, we gamers aren't violent people thing? and games don't train you to become a mass killer? not doing a good job at reinforcing these things.

the only saving grace is that these kids are just idiots who truly have no idea how to handle a weapon, and that games are not yet "realistic" enough to show the actual workings of such a gun
Agreed. Just glad that guns arn't readily available in the UK. But then again, I reckon our self-image of "fuck that, that's too much effort" would probably stop most people from becoming so idiotic...I hope at least.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
I'll admit, I didn't know anything about real life guns until I played MW2. And even since that, The only thing I've learned is that apparently the British security forces at airports etc use the ACR. But don't take my word for it, because even then it was just through word of mouth.

Projo

Aug 3, 2009
I can understand being upset by what are essentially the casuals of firearm world, but why the hell is it a problem that the gun has some publicity now? The blog itself says that it's relatively unknown. Well now people know what it is. Isn't that good?

Cryofthewolf

Feb 28, 2008
There was a guy in my Psychology class last semester who just got back from Iraq. He said that the military is using video games and the like to recruit kids. He said that the kids who thought that fighting in real life was like the 'realistic games' back home were the first to hesitate to pull the trigger, the first to go off and do reckless things, and the first to die.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I like the American news outlets take on this, every rifle is an AK-47.

I like the "Holy Shit!" category of weapons, like the S&W .500 and my personal fav is the NTW-20. The slow-mo vids you see of them obliterating watermelons and other things are really cool.

Kamaitachi

Dec 17, 2009
Cryofthewolf said:
There was a guy in my Psychology class last semester who just got back from Iraq. He said that the military is using video games and the like to recruit kids. He said that the kids who thought that fighting in real life was like the 'realistic games' back home were the first to hesitate to pull the trigger, the first to go off and do reckless things, and the first to die.
This, Just go Paintballing ridicilously powerfull paintball guns, Every hit hurts a lot, so you generally are not tempted to run out on the battlefield, and only do so on rare occasions.
Tactics are allot diffrent aswell, in paintball down here we have almost military grade flashbangs, so hiding at the bottom of a corridor is going to give you a sore chest and sore eyes.

even then, paintball is nothing like real war, it just utilizes similar tactics, not "if we die we will just respawn and use the most powerfull weapon in the game"

Guy32

Jan 4, 2009
LordCuthberton said:
Well the same people think Desert Eagles are "good weapons".

I laugh.
lol, it's like "would you rather have a Desert Eagle, or your arm?
Super_Nintendo_Chalmers said:
I feel the same way. As a druid, I find many people thinking they know so much about magic powers.
made me lol.

toastmaster2k8

Jul 21, 2008
Its awesome because I can actually shoot real guns and know that Special kids like this are rendered harmless because I bet they couldn't even load a 22.

toastmaster2k8

Jul 21, 2008
I wonder if they realize they dont have ammo already in clips and they cant pick the shit up just by walking over it. The most dangerous there gonna get is trying to stab you with a spork.

Nohra

Aug 9, 2008
AndyFromMonday said:
"YES! Finally played Modern Warfare 2 for 20 hours straight! Now I am fully trained and ready to use a sniper rifle on the battlefield."

People are just so, so stupid...
Go set up in heavy brush, underneath camo, waiting for hours in the cold for your target, then use your preplanned escape route to get your ass the fuck out of there after taking your one, highly effective shot?

Oh wait, my bad, you wouldn't learn that in the videya. You'd just learn how to go up to a clock tower and take pot shots at people. tee hee range limitations.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
1.) They're magazines, not clips.

2.) This has been something gun enthusiasts have been dealing with for ages. People read something, or see some piece of media with something in it and think they know all about it. Before this was the "COD effect" this was the "Counterstrike effect," and before that the "Shadowrun effect", and so on and so on and so on. The only difference is that now, COD 4 has achieved massive dispersal so the problem is even more pronounced than just a minority of nerds honestly trying to argue that the AK is more accurate than the M4 and other weird crap attributed to CS's horrifically bad weapon coding.