Gun Nutella

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Dead Raen said:
No one uses clips anymore.
While mostly correct, that's not entirely true. Revolvers that fire semi-auto rounds use clips. Moon clips, I believe. I almost bought one as I didn't want to keep up with two different types of ammo but ultimately decided it wasn't worth the hassle as getting replacement moon clips at the time seemed to be a pain.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Oh man this annoys the hell out of me - I've interrupted desperate struggles for survival in online co-op to correct my friend on weapon types and names.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
To be fair, all guns are shotguns in the sense that they all shoot.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. I'm joking. Please don't shoot me with your fully automatic 360 caliber pistol.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
Kennetic said:
That quote is basically true but I still use clips for a few things. Some bolt actions can be fed from a clip (Mauser and Mosin actions come to mind) and the surplus ammo that I use for my AR-15 comes on a 10-round stripper clip and the M1 Garand that I will buy some day feeds from a clip. But the principle still applies.
Let me correct him: "No one uses clips anymore, unless they're using guns from an older generation." As for your surplus ammo, does it feed into the AR-15 directly, or does the ammo come clipped so it can be stripped into a magazine?

antidonkey said:
While mostly correct, that's not entirely true. Revolvers that fire semi-auto rounds use clips. Moon clips, I believe. I almost bought one as I didn't want to keep up with two different types of ammo but ultimately decided it wasn't worth the hassle as getting replacement moon clips at the time seemed to be a pain.
I hadn't known about this previously. I think what he says still stands, however, because very few people are going to be using revolvers. As a former NAVY SEAL, I think he was referring more to their military presence and less so for collectors and recreational use. Like the M1 Garand, these clip-based weapons are certainly in circulation and are used and fired regularly - but you won't be seeing these weapons on the front lines.

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
Dead Raen said:
Kennetic said:
That quote is basically true but I still use clips for a few things. Some bolt actions can be fed from a clip (Mauser and Mosin actions come to mind) and the surplus ammo that I use for my AR-15 comes on a 10-round stripper clip and the M1 Garand that I will buy some day feeds from a clip. But the principle still applies.
Let me correct him: "No one uses clips anymore, unless they're using guns from an older generation." As for your surplus ammo, does it feed into the AR-15 directly, or does the ammo come clipped so it can be stripped into a magazine?
The ammo just comes out of the box in 3 clips of 10. I feed the clips into the mags. I have a speed loader too but I only use Pmags and I'm not scratching up my purty plastic lol. I was only quoting to point out that clips can come up in conversation quite a bit.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
The fact someone had to explain the joke makes me weep for this site...

You guys.

You use to be cool.

T^T
I was sure that it was this site that was constantly waving it's gun nut, hoo ahh banner with pride on an almost daily basis...

I am also surprised!

Maybe it is also a factor that people are less embarrassed by asking before googling/researching nowadays too?

Nielas

Dec 5, 2011
Dead Raen said:
Concerning magazines and clips, this is a subject that I too am touchy on because the distinction is plain and easy. You don't call trucks cars, and you don't call fedoras ballcaps. At this point any media that should know the difference but fails to correctly specify that difference (such as combat games or shows revolving around the use of weapons) automatically loses points with me.
I once called a friend's pickup truck a car and he gave me grief about it. I found it a bit silly since he only used the truck for personal driving so for practical purposes it was not different than my compact car. Plus I am not a native English speaker and in my native language the equivalent word for 'truck' is only used for commercial vehicles.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
Kennetic said:
I was only quoting to point out that clips can come up in conversation quite a bit.
Ohok. I believe he was only referring to people using "clips" in the sense of loading weapons, not as their use to hold boxed ammunition.
Nielas said:
I once called a friend's pickup truck a car and he gave me grief about it. I found it a bit silly since he only used the truck for personal driving so for practical purposes it was not different than my compact car. Plus I am not a native English speaker and in my native language the equivalent word for 'truck' is only used for commercial vehicles.
Non-native speakers are exempt from criticism. Don't worry, I still love you. <3

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Wow, that actually took several reads to get...

Fapmaster5000 said:
Clip means this:

Magazine means this:
... Well, I learned something new. I called any set of bullets going into a pistol a clip...

What are the long strips of bullets called? Are they a different category?

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
-Dragmire- said:
Wow, that actually took several reads to get...

Fapmaster5000 said:
Clip means this:

Magazine means this:
... Well, I learned something new. I called any set of bullets going into a pistol a clip...

What are the long strips of bullets called? Are they a different category?
That's called a belt. That's what machineguns use. The gun will manipulate the links while slamming the round into the chamber then eject the links separately from the spent casings.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
"Hey, you watched that new manga I got you for Christmas?"
"You got me a manga for Christmas?"
"Yeah. You were real excited when I got it for you."
"*blinks*... wut...?"
"The One Piece DVD."
"Oh... oohhhhh! Er, no, I haven't watched it yet."

It's weird, I am definitely a big enough dick to annoy people by deliberately mixing up terms and phrases of things they like, but I'm usually too dumb to pick up on it when it happens to me.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Aw, man... I'm late. I came in here to talk about putting a clip in my M-4 machine gun, a magazine into my M-1 sniper gun, a belt into my .44 pistol and a quickloader into my M-2 assault gun.

But somebody had to come in and be all educational first...

...and now captcha wants to know [sic]"how likely are you to joining the armed forces?" (parse much?). As a disabled vet, I'm not sure what tense to answer in. Glad there's an "unsure" option... but I would have preferred "been there, done that, don't qualify anymore".

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
I was sure that it was this site that was constantly waving it's gun nut, hoo ahh banner with pride on an almost daily basis...

I am also surprised!

Maybe it is also a factor that people are less embarrassed by asking before googling/researching nowadays too?
The Escapist is a "gun nut" site now? What did I miss?

I suppose, it might also have to do with the fact that the main readership of this site are not that familiar with guns (myself included).

At the very least, I learned a couple of new things, and I'm happy about that.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Either Erin is intentionally screwing with him, or she is really not that bright. If these two are on the same team, we are looking at a friendly fire incident in the making.

Also: hee hee. "Stripper clip"

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I understand the difference between magazines and clips.

That said, if I was in an actual firefight (virtual or otherwise), I'd just as soon not get shot because it took an extra two syllables to say I was out of ammo.

Maybe we need to popularize the abbreviation "mag".