Gun Nutella

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm a language enthusiast. I don't have to be a gun enthusiast to be pissed off at "shotgun bullets".

That's called the "Krummlauf". It's a curved barrel attachment for the StG 44 that allowed it to shoot around corners. Each barrel had a short lifespan and additionally put the bullets under a lot of stress, causing them to shatter and leave the barrel in fragments.

So it's basically a shotgun...with bullets. A shotrifle.

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
Weirdly enough i was wondering why in RE2 you got a box of ammo and it was 15 [normal]/30 [easy] rounds especially when my dad had a box of rounds which had like 90. Wouldnt that mean the majority of all the stuff in RE would have been preventable if whoever in charge wasnt such chikun-shet with their budget for their own officers

Not trying to derail the topic but just a coincidence

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Kennetic said:
-Dragmire- said:
Wow, that actually took several reads to get...

Fapmaster5000 said:
Clip means this:

Magazine means this:
... Well, I learned something new. I called any set of bullets going into a pistol a clip...

What are the long strips of bullets called? Are they a different category?
That's called a belt. That's what machineguns use. The gun will manipulate the links while slamming the round into the chamber then eject the links separately from the spent casings.
Is that how those work? I thought they functioned by spitting the links into every other moving part on the weapon, forcing you to constantly have to jerk on the charging handle, clear and sweep. Presumably, this design decision was to cause a maximum level of annoyance to the gunner and cause him to ***** endlessly to anyone who would listen, likely the guy trying to dig a hot piece of brass out of the neck of his BDU jacket while rolling around like he got shot.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Barbas said:
Is that supposed to be me defenestrating myself after being proved wrong, or you escaping after proving me wrong?
But come on we can agree 99% of shotguns in videogames don't exactly use bullets.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Realitycrash said:
..The joke is that a "assault gun" doesn't exist and a shotgun fires shells, not bullets, right?
It might seem obvious to some of you, but I know little about guns, and thus I am unsure if I got the joke or not.
I was also told by a friend that Assault Rifles use "magazines", not "clips". I should thank him later. It made this even funnier.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Barbas said:
Is that supposed to be me defenestrating myself after being proved wrong, or you escaping after proving me wrong?
But come on we can agree 99% of shotguns in videogames don't exactly use bullets.
I forgot there was actually a word for throwing people out of windows. o_O

...But no, that's just a personification of my frustration at annoying weapons like that because they stick out like a sore thumb and confuse things even more. Pet peeve, I guess. I just refer to all ammo in video games now as "[weapon name] ammo" now, to avoid confusion. Unless it's hand grenades, since they follow a different trajectory.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
Two-A said:
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
I was sure that it was this site that was constantly waving it's gun nut, hoo ahh banner with pride on an almost daily basis...

I am also surprised!

Maybe it is also a factor that people are less embarrassed by asking before googling/researching nowadays too?
The Escapist is a "gun nut" site now? What did I miss?

I suppose, it might also have to do with the fact that the main readership of this site are not that familiar with guns (myself included).
I'm thinking the guy is of the opinion that gamers think that because they used an AK-47 in Fallout 3 that gamers think they know all about guns. Which is, of course, insane - but there are gamers out there who do seem to think this. Maybe not on the Escapist, but I've run into people online who talk about this sort of thing like they know what they're talking about. As if video games actually show some sort of reality.

Off Topic/Divergent Topic: This comic is a great example of how to entirely and utterly derail any political discussion about "assault rifles" and other types of guns people want to regulate. It's so easy to come into a thread and troll the "gun nuts" by intentionally using the wrong terminology that for people with a basic understanding of guns (which I have, due to Mrs. Makt's family being both avid hunters and having a few of the extended clan being Canadian Military), it's easy to come into most gun threads and see who's trolling and who's getting trolled.

So what I'm saying is that this comic is a "How To" Comic for trolling gun nuts. I'm not sure if that's ironic or not, given the rules of the site, but it's sure amusing to think about!

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Realitycrash said:
Well you could technically say "assault gun", and that would kind of be right, since a gun is mainly meant for the purposes of "assault" (ie attacking). However the joke is playing on the fact that the more common and accepted term is "assault rifle". Also, the container for the ammunition of an assault rifle (if you're to assume Erin was actually meaning "assault rifle") is typically referred to as a "magazine" or "mag". The term "clip" is typically reserved for pistols.

Shotguns fire ammunition stored in the shells that are loaded into the shotgun. At a super basic level, the shell is the casing holding the ammunition to be fired, the wad (separates the gun powder from the ammunition itself, and also helps the ammunition (particularly loose buckshot) stay coherent as it travels down the barrel), the gun powder that combusts and produces the energy to move the ammunition, and the primer (which contains a small amount of material that combusts when hit by the firing pin, thus beginning the combustion of the gunpowder proper).

Shotgun shells need not be limited to buckshot, you can put many different ammunition types in the shell. A popular ammo type for shotguns is a slug round, firing one single, aerodynamic, solid projectile. More exotic ammo includes stuff like "dragons breath", which basically fires fire.

Would like to get an enthusiasts take on it, since I'm really only a layman.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Ooh! What fun. We could have a whole thread of just these.
"Okay, we'll open fire as soon as the guy with the musket runs out of bullets and needs to reload."
"There was a battle here. Look! Shell casings from this guy's crossbow."

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
antidonkey said:
Revolvers that fire semi-auto rounds use clips. Moon clips, I believe. I almost bought one as I didn't want to keep up with two different types of ammo but ultimately decided it wasn't worth the hassle as getting replacement moon clips at the time seemed to be a pain.
If you want to get into IDPA, moon-clip-fed revolvers compete in a higher division than normal speedloader-fed revolvers.

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
Gorrath said:
Kennetic said:
-Dragmire- said:

Fapmaster5000 said:
Clip means this:

Magazine means this:
... Well, I learned something new. I called any set of bullets going into a pistol a clip...

That's called a belt. That's what machineguns use. The gun will manipulate the links while slamming the round into the chamber then eject the links separately from the spent casings.
Is that how those work? I thought they functioned by spitting the links into every other moving part on the weapon, forcing you to constantly have to jerk on the charging handle, clear and sweep. Presumably, this design decision was to cause a maximum level of annoyance to the gunner and cause him to ***** endlessly to anyone who would listen, likely the guy trying to dig a hot piece of brass out of the neck of his BDU jacket while rolling around like he got shot.
Lol that happens all the time if you don't keep those bastards lubed properly. With the M2 50 cal you also have to do headspace and timing which is a pain in the ass all its own.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Hehehe. I think I've actually played enough games with guns in them to get these jokes. xD

It's kind of like teasing a "Grammar Nazi", in a way.

Quite funny. =w= b

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Denamic said:
Realitycrash said:
..The joke is that a "assault gun" doesn't exist and a shotgun fires shells, not bullets, right?
It might seem obvious to some of you, but I know little about guns, and thus I am unsure if I got the joke or not.
It's like calling Link 'Zelda', or referring to a PS4 as 'a Nintendo'.
Oh fuck! Really? Is that how it feels to them?
I was about to make fun of gun people, but if it's really like the Zelda example, then I'm so sorry. That's just awful.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Kennetic said:
Gorrath said:
Kennetic said:
-Dragmire- said:

Fapmaster5000 said:
Clip means this:

Magazine means this:

Lol that happens all the time if you don't keep those bastards lubed properly. With the M2 50 cal you also have to do headspace and timing which is a pain in the ass all its own.
Thankfully I spent most of my time as a 249 gunner, which meant the link issues weren't quite as bad as the 50 cal. All you had to worry about was the cheap-ass rod breaking.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Denamic said:
It's like calling Link 'Zelda', or referring to a PS4 as 'a Nintendo'.
Or Samus as "Metroid" :3

OT: Some buddies are like that and I mostly get the same reaction as Elliot...

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
Gorrath said:
Kennetic said:
Gorrath said:
Kennetic said:
-Dragmire- said:

Fapmaster5000 said:
Clip means this:

Magazine means this:

Thankfully I spent most of my time as a 249 gunner, which meant the link issues weren't quite as bad as the 50 cal. All you had to worry about was the cheap-ass rod breaking.
The SAW is my least favorite of the 3 machineguns that thing would jam like crazy if you look at it the wrong way.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
If anybody needs me, I'll be over here, grinding my teeth.

[small]You put bullets into a magazine with a clip, because you can clip the clip onto the magazine; it's not that hard to remember....[/small]

Darth_Payn said:
Either Erin is intentionally screwing with him, or she is really not that bright.
The two are not mutually exclusive!