Gun Nutella

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Therumancer said:
To be totally honest while you are right, I wouldn't get all that upset about it, to be honest one would expect the guys doing research for a really successful game franchise, to the point of modeling them (presumably) based on real ones to have the basic facts straight. Off the cuff if I had to trust some guy that I didn't know, or a gaming company that went so far as to model something, when it comes to basic info like that, I'd side with the gaming company for information as well. I'd be wrong, just saying it's understandable enough not to get upset over.
He knows me and knows I love guns. He personally owns an AK-47, we even bayonet charged an empty case of beer (he's 19 and I'm just a few weeks short of being 24 so only I can do the drinking). I couldn't believe COD would derp something like that since the gun has been in the series since the very first game.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Fapmaster5000 said:
Realitycrash said:
..The joke is that a "assault gun" doesn't exist and a shotgun fires shells, not bullets, right?
It might seem obvious to some of you, but I know little about guns, and thus I am unsure if I got the joke or not.
To explain:

Shotguns usually fire "shells" (or "slugs"), not "bullets". A "clip" is a device used to hold ammunition together to aid in feeding the weapon. A "magazine" is similar, but contains a feeding mechanism (such as a spring-loaded follower) to feed the weapon.

Clip means this:

Magazine means this:

More amusing is the "assault gun" joke, since an "Assault Rifle" would mean something like this:

Whereas, an "Assault Gun" looks more like this:
Which is also why, whenever the news said that the crime was comitted with a "military style assault gun", I immediately create a mental image of the robbery/home-invasion/shooting being done with an SU-152, Soviet flags flying, and it goes from tragedy to absurd hilarity. Probably makes me a bad person, but it makes the news more fun to watch.

Hope that helps the non-gun people here.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch by Mystic. *Shakes fist*
Thank you! I was genuinely curious about the clip/magazine difference, though my military enthusiast friends corrected me long ago that 'magazine' was the correct term for what modern rifles use.

Also, I liked your picture post!

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
Norithics said:
And the truth comes out:
Gun nuts are just another sect of nerds.
That's always been the case lol. There's endless flame wars in the gun forums. Example: 9mm vs .45 always causes some mayhem.

Fapmaster5000

May 13, 2011
Boba Frag said:
Fapmaster5000 said:
Realitycrash said:
..The joke is that a "assault gun" doesn't exist and a shotgun fires shells, not bullets, right?
It might seem obvious to some of you, but I know little about guns, and thus I am unsure if I got the joke or not.
To explain:

Shotguns usually fire "shells" (or "slugs"), not "bullets". A "clip" is a device used to hold ammunition together to aid in feeding the weapon. A "magazine" is similar, but contains a feeding mechanism (such as a spring-loaded follower) to feed the weapon.

Clip means this:

Magazine means this:

More amusing is the "assault gun" joke, since an "Assault Rifle" would mean something like this:

Which is also why, whenever the news said that the crime was comitted with a "military style assault gun", I immediately create a mental image of the robbery/home-invasion/shooting being done with an SU-152, Soviet flags flying, and it goes from tragedy to absurd hilarity. Probably makes me a bad person, but it makes the news more fun to watch.

Thank you! I was genuinely curious about the clip/magazine difference, though my military enthusiast friends corrected me long ago that 'magazine' was the correct term for what modern rifles use.

You're welcome!

Kennetic said:
Norithics said:
And the truth comes out:
That's always been the case lol. There's endless flame wars in the gun forums. Example: 9mm vs .45 always causes some mayhem.
See also:

• AK-47 versus M16
    5.56x45 vs 7.62 NATO
    1911A1, Gift from God or Triumph of Mankind?
    Any time someone mentions the words "Desert Eagle" or, worse, "Deagle". (There will be tears of blood)
    Putting plastic furniture on guns designed for wood furniture.
    Tacticool rail-mounted insanity (High speed, low drag!)

I think that about covers the insta-troll topics.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Norithics said:
And the truth comes out:
Yep, and that was a big part of the inspiration for this LoadingReadyRun video [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/5546-Some-Kind-of-Geek]. The guy who wrote the initial script talks about it at the end of this podcast [http://loadingreadyrun.com/lrrcasts/view/279/Parent-Teacher-Geeks-have-720-Jonny-Gardes]. Nearly everyone is a geek about something, whether it's sports, video games, guns, or anime.

Kennetic said:
Yep. Colion Noir made a good set of satire videos on the subject:

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
UNHchabo said:
Norithics said:
And the truth comes out:
Yep, and that was a big part of the inspiration for this LoadingReadyRun video [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/5546-Some-Kind-of-Geek]. The guy who wrote the initial script talks about it at the end of this podcast [http://loadingreadyrun.com/lrrcasts/view/279/Parent-Teacher-Geeks-have-720-Jonny-Gardes]. Nearly everyone is a geek about something, whether it's sports, video games, guns, or anime.

Kennetic said:
Yep. Colion Noir made a good set of satire videos on the subject:

Yea I've seen those and I'm excited for his "People who carry .40" as I hate .40 cal.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
The old art style is nice but I like this one better.

Erin's face in the third panel is adorkable and also very punchable at the same time.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Realitycrash said:
You also missed how she's talking about "clips" when she actually means "magazines".

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I love this.

I have a LOT of far right-wing gun nut family, and they go...
BALLISTIC...

When you mess up this kind of stuff.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Fapmaster5000 said:
Boba Frag said:
Fapmaster5000 said:
Realitycrash said:
To explain:

Clip means this:

Magazine means this:

You're welcome!

Kennetic said:
Norithics said:
And the truth comes out:
See also:

• AK-47 versus M16
    5.56x45 vs 7.62 NATO
    1911A1, Gift from God or Triumph of Mankind?
    Any time someone mentions the words "Desert Eagle" or, worse, "Deagle". (There will be tears of blood)
    Putting plastic furniture on guns designed for wood furniture.
    Tacticool rail-mounted insanity (High speed, low drag!)

I think that about covers the insta-troll topics.
Oh, wow.... I can only imagine Grey Carter scribbling furiously once your post went up :p

Your username had me in hysterics, btw.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Gun enthusiast? I am SO freekin' tempted to quote George Carlin right now. Those of you who are true fans of Mr. Carlin know which joke I'm thinking of...

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I thought Erin's trolling itself was better in On Reviews, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/10024-On-Reviews] but her trollface is better in this issue.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
acosn said:
To my knowledge, there is no assault rifle which is loaded using a clip. Assault rifles almost always use detachable magazines to load.
Isn't that part of the definition of assault rifle, that it uses a detachable magazine?

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
The old art style is nice but I like this one better.

Erin's face in the third panel is adorkable and also very punchable at the same time.

ThetaReactor

Apr 21, 2010
thaluikhain said:
acosn said:
To my knowledge, there is no assault rifle which is loaded using a clip. Assault rifles almost always use detachable magazines to load.
Isn't that part of the definition of assault rifle, that it uses a detachable magazine?
The real definitive attributes are that it fires a medium-power rifle cartridge (and that's the proper word--bullets go in cartridges that go in magazines) and is select-fire (capable of burst or full-auto). Being select-fire, large detachable magazines are pretty much essential. If the same weapon used pistol ammo, it would be an SMG. If it used full-power rifle rounds, it'd be a main battle rifle (like the M14 or FN FAL).

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
ThetaReactor said:
The real definitive attributes are that it fires a medium-power rifle cartridge (and that's the proper word--bullets go in cartridges that go in magazines) and is select-fire (capable of burst or full-auto). Being select-fire, large detachable magazines are pretty much essential.
Ah, so the detachable magazine is the inevitable result of following the definition, not part of the definition itself?

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Isn't bullet any projectile that flies out of gun barrel?
So pellets ARE bullets.

Dead Raen said:
No one uses clips anymore."
Revolvers?
At least I think fast-loaders are close to clips.