Guys: Would you date / marry a powerful woman?

Fishdog52

Apr 18, 2011
I really do not give a damn about how the world sees a person whom you love; it is how you see the person whom you love. If she treats me with more kindness than any other person, then I do not care what her job is.

Look at it this way - if she is putting you to shame anywhere, either you deserved it or she is being a prick. (If you are ashamed of not being the bread-winner, either it is your pride or lack of ambition.) A person in that much power must certainly have the tact and wit deserving of it to be worth my time. (If all you do is spend the wealth you inherited, you aren't my type.) With that tact and wit comes the knowledge of how to treat people you enter into a relationship with as an equal, irregardless.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
From personal experience, it can be sort of depressing. I'm a pretty useless person when it comes to adult life, and my ex was an overachiever [or maybe just a normal achiever; it's difficult to judge from rock-bottom, as it were]. The only times I really felt useful was when the stress got to her and I was the only thing that could calm her. Other than that, it was usually a case of second fiddle, although she didn't rub it in by any means.

Problem is, any girl who's flakier than me is likely to be absolutely intolerable, so aiming higher is probably the only option besides remaining single.

Edit: Or getting my sh-t together, of course.

iFail69

Nov 17, 2009
If my possible-future-wife didn't have a powerful personality backed up by intelligence, we wouldn't have dated in the first place (probably, you can never be total about anything when it comes to relationships :p)

The person I would marry later in life, even if she was powerful as you said (like, job powerful) I'd just be happy for her success and get about my job. I'd easily substitute in for taking care of the kids if her career (and the whole point of this thread is that it would be) was more important than mine, that's just obvious to me xD

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Is she hot? Do her and I get along emotionally and intellectually? Is she hot?

I see no reason why not. I don't feel emasculated when a girl I'm seeing earns more money than me or has a better job. Hey, if she want to buy her sweetie nice things, I have no problem with that.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
It depends on one thing (well maybe two if you include the obvious one of loving each other) namely 'Is the fact that she is more powerful than me going to be brought up in every argument we have?' because I would never use something like that to score points in an argument, it's an Uber dick move imo.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I'd marry the one I'd love. If she's more successful than I am then so be it. If we'd be in love than it wouldn't be an issue anyway, because if it would we wouldn't be in love in the first place.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Of course.

But then again, my wife often jokes that I'm more of a feminist than she is.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
No, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't. Just not for me. Especially fame, major turn off.

The Dr0w Ranger

Jan 8, 2009
A. Not as described, a woman with media attention like that would be a turn off far in advance of her power being a threat, the IQ thing would be a threat in a sense BUT....

B. Intelligence is no more a concrete number than Power, people of high artistic talent make monkeys of people in an art debate but in a Math Test? I find no one is so perfectly rounded.

C. If I was dwarfed intellectually in areas I FOUND IMPORTANT, than no, I'd be right out.
I have somewhat of a complex, I don't like being made to feel inferior, as I often do that just fine by myself.

D.I am a dominant personality in terms of taking charge, figuring things out ahead of time, rules etc. But my girlfriend is welcome to chime in anytime she wants, I take control by default because she is the exact opposite.
We have a stereotypical relationship, I am pursuing education further than her, I have a more lucrative job, I am taller, stronger, more opinionated, she is quiet, likes me to hold her. I am kind of emotionally hollow, a tree in the storm so to speak, I don't get busted up over family deaths etc while she is quite sensitive to things, its a good match as I LIKE being the one she runs to.
To be clear I am not overbearing or forcing my will, its just that I ask what she wants and the answer's always "whatever", so I stopped asking.
Intellectually I think we are about equal, its a matter of topic to decide who knows more. And depending on whats going on, it can be a tossup who will have an answer/response first.
Shes faster on quick math in her head, but as it gets more complex (polynomials) I start to take the lead. We are both programming majors and while I finish first with working code, hers is often more elegant.

E.I don't feel bad for wanting to be the big, strong breadwinner, people are how they are, and I don't like people who remind me of myself. I am a big tall loud guy, a girl of the same type would be an opponent more than anything else.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Love conquers all. If I was with someone who was extremely famous, to the point that Paparazzi would be pushing me out of the way to get a good shot, I wouldn't care. If she was much, much, much more intelligent than I then I wouldn't mind that either. Unless she's really condescending about it. I couldn't date a female Sheldon...If she was a filthy-rich business woman I wouldn't mind living as a house-husband. I would prefer living as a house-husband!

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Yeah, I wouldn't be bothered by it. I'm going to be working and she's going to be working, so it's not like one of us is going to be the 'bum' in the relationship. It could get a little annoying if she gets some superiority complex or if has a reckless spending habit, but I sure we can work it out.

Scorekeeper

Mar 15, 2011
If she's mature about it, what's the problem? A powerful, beautiful, intelligent, successful woman would be rather hard to complain about.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
Yes, abso-fucking-lutely!!

Not only do I find it very sexy, but also.....

....Being a house husband? Yes please.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I might have a problem with dating, or being attracted to, a PHYSICALLY more powerful woman, but that's about it.

Although, I'd like to be able to bring something special to the relationship, aside from being the male.

WhisperingShadows

Dec 29, 2010
I'm not a guy, but hey, close enough... If anything, I would find a strong woman more attractive, but I'm into that kind of thing in bed, if you get what I mean :3 Long as she doesn't brag about it too much, I'd have her for sure.

Project_Omega

Sep 7, 2009
This...

I dont... Know...

The thing is, I happened to be in a relationship like that once, where literally the girl I was going out with was better than me in grades and pretty much "Pay-roll" (She was getting paid). I mean... if I had no other choice I would probably go for her, but I would feel uncomfortable, especially if she tried rubbing it constantly.

I am submissive, but I don't enjoy being pushed around, and I do have my dignity.

I found it REALLY uncomfortable of her paying for me, rather than me for her, and I still do in any relationship to this day.

Captcha : men owingy

Wth Captcha?

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
I might be one of the first to be skeptic. Sure I can judge a person on their merits and personality and look past all that superficial power, but I highly doubt most people in their position would do the same towards your average everyman such as myself (and most people on this forum to be honest, no offense my average brothers). Would they be cool with me being a stay at home husband? I would love to cook and clean and play videogames all day, but....like I said I doubt there would be an equal level of respect.