Hacker Group Claims Real Ubisoft DRM Crack

GL2814E

Feb 16, 2010
psrdirector said:
I hope all the people part of skid row end up homeless with ubisoft dancing on there money from a copyright violation lawsuit.
I'm not sure its a copyright violation to disable DRM.

It might violate the EULA, but if they explicitly say they aren't doing it for money, then most courts will end up viewing it the same way other cheats/mods for games are viewed.

That is to say, it has no legal ramifications what so ever.

Well, in American Federal courts that handle copyright violations anyway, I don't know about French courts... (But if Skid Row aren't French Citizens, can they be dragged to a French court over DRM? I doubt it.)

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
MR T3D said:
If I ever wanted ass creed 2, and on PC, i'd be sure to use this.

and I never pirate.
also:

WOW! that sure was unbeatable DRM!
Ya if I were an AC fan I would buy it for PC and then DL the crack so I wouldn't have to worry about my shitty internet connection going out midway through the game. Hopefully this teaches ubisoft a lesson, but I doubt it will.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Ahahahahaahahaha! Watching Ubisoft try and desperately defend their DRM is like watching a fucking comedy show! Good job and congratulations on placing the developer in their place, guys! You earned it!

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Chalk up another point to Pirates. When will these big companies learn that by putting restrictions on games that you're only adding fuel to our fire so we can play the full damn game.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
The deed is about a month old actually, and works with no problems.
So if you have a crappy internet connection, now you can buy it, because there is a way to play it.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Good. Maybe companies will eventually stop wasting millions on this worthless crap and spend it on improving games instead.

Unfortunately this won't stop people pirating the games anyway.

Galaxy613

Apr 6, 2008
People who say Ubisoft lost this round are wrong in a way. Most games are fully cracked in a matter of days, sometimes even before it's offically released for the first time. Making a DRM that took hackers over a month to crack is essentially the amount of time it takes for a movie to get to DVD. So they basically were able to make sure their customers feel like they weren't cheated out of the money for a month by the prospect of someone else could just download it without dropping a dime.

Yeah it did fail eventually, but I am pretty sure Ubisoft knew that was gonna happen, so they just tried to delay that crack as long as possible. AND IT WORKED.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Well, good news for me, since I was looking forward to TrackMania 2 (which was developed by Nadeo, which got bought out by Ubisoft) before all this crap started. Hopefully this will prompt a swift crack if Nadeo is forced to use this crappy DRM.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
blackshark121 said:
I wonder if they did this to settlers 7, because that looked like an interesting game.

I'll probably just mail Ubisoft $50 if I decide to pirate it... dunno.
Mail $50 to the devs, not Ubisoft. They're the other ones that are getting screwed in this mess.

EDIT: actually, thinking about it now, this crack is probably DMCA protected. The product doesn't work with systems... well, at all... so, the crack could fall under the interoperability clause of the DMCA.

HowIChrgeLazer

Apr 4, 2010
This all reminds me of years past when Ubisoft did the same thing to consumers with StarForce. Horrible DRM concept, I don't think they learned at all. I actually went out of my way to buy Sins of A Solar empire just on the premise of it being DRM free (and, honestly, it being a fun, complex RTS as well).

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
I love the "dicking around with warez site" part when this site has done 100s of piratebay.org stories.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Galaxy613 said:
People who say Ubisoft lost this round are wrong in a way. Most games are fully cracked in a matter of days, sometimes even before it's offically released for the first time. Making a DRM that took hackers over a month to crack is essentially the amount of time it takes for a movie to get to DVD. So they basically were able to make sure their customers feel like they weren't cheated out of the money for a month by the prospect of someone else could just download it without dropping a dime.

Yeah it did fail eventually, but I am pretty sure Ubisoft knew that was gonna happen, so they just tried to delay that crack as long as possible. AND IT WORKED.
Actually, pirate versions of sorts were available from pretty much day one (admittedly the inital versions were crappy, but a solution to that was released a few weeks later in the form of emulating servers), it's just only now that a crack of the "install, copy, play" sort was released.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I just buy consoles...

I guess this is good? If I was Ubisoft I wouldn't have called it a DRM and just made it that cloud compression... thing... where the graphics and such depend on the server. Of course, then there'd be lag and disconnects, but at least then the peoples wouldn't be mad at the Ubisofts.

Apr 28, 2008
And is anyone really that surprised?

It was bound to happen sooner or later. Now that its cracked, more and more games that use this system will be cracked. And we'll be back at square one. Again.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
"Hack The Planet !" - Cereal Killer

as i said before, never take your customers as fools, never ever ever remove portions of a game, just to sell it for more $$$.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
oppp7 said:
I just buy consoles...

I guess this is good? If I was Ubisoft I wouldn't have called it a DRM and just made it that cloud compression... thing... where the graphics and such depend on the server. Of course, then there'd be lag and disconnects, but at least then the peoples wouldn't be mad at the Ubisofts.
They just wouldn't buy the game. Which sorts of defeats the point of DRM.

Personally, I think the revenue gained from impatient potential pirates will be tiny compared to revenue lost, both actual and potential, from the amount of gamers they've pissed off now and in the future with this DRM.

Mahha

May 20, 2009
I bought Ass creed 2 (around the release, because I'm stupid), but because of a rather unstable Internet connection in our parts I couldn't really play the game. It was a nightmare... I bought it not knowing about the DRM and I was really pissed at Ubisoft for pulling this dick move... sure the DVD stays intact but having been thrown out of the game a gazillion times in two days I almost grilled the game disc over an open flame so thats was hardly an improvement.

So thank you Skid Row. I really appreciate you for sticking it up to the man

Cpt. Red

Jul 24, 2008
someboredguy said:
Ironically, I expect the PC sales for AC2 will have jumped now that people know that they can remove the obnoxious DRM.
I don't think so but if it were a patch that would disable it then they would probably see a jump in sales.